New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

First time I have commented on this thread as I'd not contemplated us looking for another manager until today so I really wouldn't have a clue who we should go for.

Dean Smith seems to be well favoured and he has done a great job at Brentford and the four times I have really watched them under him, when they played us, they have played some lovely football. My worry is that managing Walsall and Brentford is light years away from managing Aston Villa in terms of expectation and pressure.

I'd have that same worry about any of the young, promising managers at smaller clubs who have done very good jobs. If Bruce is to be replaced though I'd rather go down that route than go for a manager who has been round the block a few times as if we are going for experience/ been there and done it we may as well stick with Bruce.

I think Dean Smith would be perfect, if we can keep Jack we'd have a villa fan talisman player and a Villan for a manager. He has shown he can create a good footballing side with much less to work with than he would have here, even if we are making drastic cutbacks. Can't see past him myself I think it's a perfect fit for both our circumstances and our needs, needs being a new start and some proper coaching to maximise our assets.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think Dean Smith would be perfect, if we can keep Jack we'd have a villa fan talisman player and a Villan for a manager. He has shown he can create a good footballing side with much less to work with than he would have here, even if we are making drastic cutbacks. Can't see past him myself I think it's a perfect fit for both our circumstances and our needs, needs being a new start and some proper coaching to maximise our assets.

You do realise Smith has a very limited role at Brentford ?

He heads up the management team - he has very little say in purchasing players, and after a poor start to this season he had his wings trimmed on tactical input. He actually isn't held in that high regard at Brentford.

He has managed Walsall and Brentford and hasn't acheived a promotion at either. There was a stat that I believe Brentford dropped more points from winning positions than anyone else 

I think he would be a disastrous appointment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

I'd rather stay in the Championship for another 5 years than have Allardyce here.

So in other words you would prefer seeing us become a shit for a long period team than hire a manager who has had success in near enough every job he has been in?

Think about that for a minute be in championship for 5 years.  If that were to happen we are never returning

1 hour ago, hippo said:

You do realise Smith has a very limited role at Brentford ?

He heads up the management team - he has very little say in purchasing players, and after a poor start to this season he had his wings trimmed on tactical input. He actually isn't held in that high regard at Brentford.

He has managed Walsall and Brentford and hasn't acheived a promotion at either. There was a stat that I believe Brentford dropped more points from winning positions than anyone else 

I think he would be a disastrous appointment. 

You make a very good point. The infrastructure Brentford has makes Dean Smiths job easier. Brentford even have a head of philosophy.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

I couldn't give a tom tit about stats and his supposedly limited role at Brentford. I can guarantee he wouldn't have us playing the shite, I had to witness in the first half yesterday.

6 hours ago, Thug said:

I bet allardyce would get us up.

Quite frankly the football under Bruce has been shit, but had we gone up, all would have been forgotten.

Only for a couple of days. I certainly wouldn't want him managing us in the Premeirship.

On 26/05/2018 at 22:01, LakotaDakota said:

If he is going to leave i honestly wouldn't mind going after Zeljko Buvac. Seems he wants to try and be a number 1 rather than klopps number 2 so has to start somewhere i guess.

Now that's worth a thought .

I like the idea of Buvac, that would be quite exciting. Really don't want Sam Allardyce, there's a reason a team that finished 8th in the premier league have parted ways with him, his football is awful.

I wouldnt mind Dean Smith. 

Personally, i would offer John Terry the job. Demands respect. Plenty of professional experience. He would have learnt off the best managers in the world. 

Has a great relationship with Jack.. who i think he can persuade to stay one more year. He also has great contacts at Chelsea who he can loan one or two of their best players (which they have plenty of!)

Regardless of who it is.. i think it is integral they start building our sides with the likes of Hepburn Murphy O'Hare. They need to be involved.. and not just when we are down to the bare bones. Green is another who should get plenty of matches if hes fit. Doyle Hayes needs a run of games. Theres no point signing Whelan and Jedinak type players.. who even if we went up we would need to replace them. Lets give these youngsters a run and see what they can do. 

CB - we dont appear to have any good prospects.. i believe Suliman is suppose to be good but wasnt good on any of his loans. CB's develop alot later. We may need to put whatever funds we have into replacing JT.  

Kodjia - i dont think he will leave. Barely played.. big injuries almost 30. Nobody will touch him imo. 

Grealish - big big move for him. Hes only 22 and no euros or world cup in the following end of season.. he may just stay one more season i think. 

Chester - i think he will leave sadly. 

GK - Shrewsbury keeper would be nice. 

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

You make a very good point. The infrastructure Brentford has makes Dean Smiths job easier. Brentford even have a head of philosophy.

I'd rather we poached all of brentfords recruitment team than smith.

My main issue with smith is he is pretty crap at setting up a defence so expect to see a lot of goals conceded. 

I personally think of beuce shoild leave we need a big name who has managed big clubs like alladyce or raneri 

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd rather we poached all of brentfords recruitment team than smith.

My main issue with smith is he is pretty crap at setting up a defence so expect to see a lot of goals conceded. 

I personally think of beuce shoild leave we need a big name who has managed big clubs like alladyce or raneri 

big sam  and ranieri would not come to a championship club with no money to spend - 2 years ago maybe but not now .

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can’t understand any calls for JT, I mean can anybody tell me what sort of football he’d give us?

Nope but you could say that about any first time manager - they all have to start somewhere .

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

big sam  and ranieri would not come to a championship club with no money to spend - 2 years ago maybe but not now .

Not sure about that mate. They may see it as a big challenge. Big sams coming to end of his career I think he would take this kind of job.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure about that mate. They may see it as a big challenge. Big sams coming to end of his career I think he would take this kind of job.

If they had finances to use I’d agree , but in the current situation I don’t see it .

Both could get far better jobs elsewhere with cash to spend 

20 minutes ago, Dick said:

Roy Keane at Sunderland is a good example of what a successful player can do. Sure he didn't do much after that, but they stormed the league.

Terry probably has a better personality, i.e. better man management skills. But generally agree that Terry as manager is a bit pie in the sky. He has absolutely no experience at all, it's just wishful thinking.