New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

Fonseca is a superb coach and improves young players with his coaching style and has high win ratio in Russia. it would send shock waves if we ever appointed someone of his ilk as our next manager/Head Coach 

Donetsk is not Russia yet ?

• Haha 2

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned him, but what about Marco Rose? He's Red Bull Salzburg manager and plays football in the Klopp mode, high press. Has also managed a team that is better than those they are playing against so manages expectation well. Plays attractive football and reached a Europa semi-final last season where they lost out to Marseille. 

I'm not sure you can attribute this to him, but they have found some real gems too like Naby Keita and Mane who are both at Liverpool now. 

I think he would take some convincing but would be a fantastic appointment. 

*Edit* I've just found this video on YouTube for anyone interested! 

Edited by Herman22
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

I asked sky bet other day on twitter odds on him being next manager purely on the Mendes link and fact is he lost out on Everton job to another Mendes client. they told me wait until we after new manager for odds. Could be worth a cheeky tenner as more than likely to be Costinho, Fonseca or AVB all clients if Mendes.

Fonseca is a superb coach and improves young players with his coaching style and has high win ratio in Russia. it would send shock waves if we ever appointed someone of his ilk as our next manager/Head Coach 

Really? so he is already pretty highly regarded? Meaning an unlikely appointment?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Really? so he is already pretty highly regarded? Meaning an unlikely appointment?

Very highly regarded and excellent tactician basically ticks all the boxes required for top Head Coach and more than unlikely we will get him unless In Premier League but we can dream though mate. Stranger things have happened though and Mendes is working closely with Villa.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

I think it was Thatcher on Twitter who said he thinks the next appointment would be a mendez client, probably Paulo Fonseca. I'd never heard of him. I've just read two articles on him and decided I want him more than anything else in the world. In my mind it also seems strangely possible. 

I've just read the below article and he seems like exactly the sort of coach we need, and a manger who would employ a similar tactic that would get the best out of the players we have. However I don't think he would drop to Championship football...

Like it was the case under Lucescu Shakhtar still prefer to lineup in a 4-2-3-1 formation in which much of the offensive power comes from the two wing players Taison and Marlos. The midfield in the meantime is anchored by a box-to-box midfielder and a defensive breaker just like it was the case under Lucescu as well.

Instead, the differences are minuscule – while Lucescu preferred to play the talented Viktor Kovalenko between Taison and Marlos Fonseca has relied more heavily on Bernard to fulfil that role. As a result, Bernard has seen a resurgence in his career and Shakhtar’s attacking approach has been less stringent.

Although nominally a playmaker Bernard’s role has been that of a variable attacking midfielder. For competitive fixtures, in particular, Bernard would, on paper, be sandwiched between Taison and Marlos but on the field, the three Brazilians would often swap to break down the defensive lines.

It is perhaps that latest feature that has drawn some parallels between Fonseca and his friend Pep Guardiola. But while both like to play cultured football and are looking for a way to play perfect football Fonseca’s approach seems a bit more chaotic at times. Like Guardiola, the Portuguese coach believes in the perfect buildup play but he also allows his teams to sit deep and snap forward in chaotic fashion in order to overwhelm the opposition.

http://futbolgrad.com/paulo-fonseca-coach-shakhtar/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Very highly regarded and excellent tactician basically ticks all the boxes required for top Head Coach and more than unlikely we will get him unless In Premier League but we can dream though mate. Stranger things have happened though and Mendes is working closely with Villa.

and mendes has the owners ear and it is financially beneficial to him that his client gets the job. Yay to football corruption and collusion, im all for it

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned him, but what about Marco Rose? He's Red Bull Salzburg manager and plays football in the Klopp mode, high press. Has also managed a team that is better than those they are playing against so manages expectation well. Plays attractive football and reached a Europa semi-final last season where they lost out to Marseille. 

I'm not sure you can attribute this to him, but they have found some real gems too like Naby Keita and Mane who are both at Liverpool now. 

I think he would take some convincing but would be a fantastic appointment. 

*Edit* I've just found this video on YouTube for anyone interested! 

Mentioned him a few pages back. He ricks all the right boxes for me .. sadly given our financial restraints and current league position I think any appointment like his is unrealistic for now unfortunately.... 

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mentioned him a few pages back. He ricks all the right boxes for me .. sadly given our financial restraints and current league position I think any appointment like his is unrealistic for now unfortunately.... 

You are probably right. I do think if we are going to replace Bruce with some similar drivel we are as well to stick it out with him. If we are going to make a change, it has to be a real change in terms of philosophy and needs to be aimed at getting us to the PL but also keeping us there. 

I've been saying for a while that a diamond could work with the players we have. It would get Jack up the field and give defensive stability as long as the fullbacks are able to get forward and the centre-backs play it out to feet. SB likes to play it wide and get crosses into the box, but this would allow us to press the ball and try to control the game rather than flinging it into the box and hoping for the best. 

• Like 2

Whether the next appointment is a success or not will have little if anything to do with style and philosophy and a lot more to do with how much actual quality and potential the manager has underneath it all.

Bruce isn't failing because 'he doesn't do tactics' or because he's 'from the old brigade''. It's because he's just a fairly ordinary manager and is being exposed for it.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Seen that. Isn't he the fella Cassano said was the worst manager he ever came across.  Welcome to Villa Andrea!!!

I know nothing about Stramaccioni, but Cassano is as mad as a box frogs. 

9 hours ago, villa89 said:
  • "It has to be Redknapp or Allardyce, Villa need some one with experience who knows the English game." 
  • "Villa should appoint a young British manager, I think John Terry or Phil Neville would be perfect for them"
  • "There are not enough black managers in the game, Sol Campbell or Paul Ince or why not Dwight Yorke?"
  • "They should have stuck with Bruce, he knows the league. He has the experience to turn it around."
  • "It doesn't make sense to appoint a foreign manger, they need some one who knows the league. Gary Megson would be perfect"

Expect to hear all of the above and/or similiar BS in the media if we do sack Bruce. 

So bloody true. We need progressive and good which means foreign. No more stale British/Irish tat. I love my people (I am English/Irish) but we produce crap managers.