New Manager Speculation

maqroll

43 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Need some shock and awe football, whoever the manager is, don't like defensive football that much anymore, so whoever comes in needs to deliver the SHOCK AND AWE at fast pace.

That's just a fancy word for Blitzkrieg ?

Imagine it under Wagner with ride of the Vakyries blaring in the speakers 

"I love the smell of Tiger Balm in the morning"

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

He played some of worst football around when in Championship. If his name was Allardyce, Pulis or Bruce he would be labelled crap but he has a fancier name

I also did not see enough of Huddersfield to judge, but when I have seen them they have played alright. The difference is the team that they managed, a team like Huddersfield were not expected to be that good, they did not have the money we did, if we had a mid or lower half championship budget, and played poor football but were performing better than our team was expected, then I'd be pleased, but we have a massive budget, pobably the biggest in the league, we should not have to rely on anti football to get results, and I have a feeling that a manager like Wagner would recognize that. And what Wagner has done with Huddersfield is nearly miraculous 

We do not have a team that suits anti football and anti football works best when you are the underdog, which we never are, teams will always be happy to get draws against us, that is where our problem are imo.

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

In 44 games since getting promoted, Huddersfield have won 9 and scored 31 goals.

I appreciate getting them up was a massive achievement, but that's woeful.

I'd take Wagner. He was excellent at championship level. Huddesfield are small club so to ha e kept them up has been a massive achievement.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

In 44 games since getting promoted, Huddersfield have won 9 and scored 31 goals.

I appreciate getting them up was a massive achievement, but that's woeful.

It must be one of the weakest Premier league squads there has been for a very long time. 

Punching way about their weight.

Saying that Bournemouth have managed to do the same. Eddie Howe is the man. 

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

With Terry Henry and that italian flop amongst the favourites to replace bruce...I cant get over excited at bruces probable exit in the next 10 days or so. ......

same old same old....

In what sense would Thierry Henry represent "the same old"?

Not in regards to Bruce I imagine?

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd take Wagner. He was excellent at championship level. Huddesfield are small club so to ha e kept them up has been a massive achievement.

It would still mean playing extremely cautiously and setting up not to lose the same as Bruce does, I can get behind the idea of a new manager that implements a more attractive attacking style of football over the next few years but what I don't want is just a better version of Bruce, I'm so bored of that. 

From what I've read on Wagner many of the ideas he's implemented does appear to be more suited to small clubs.

will be hard/impossible to do the same at Villa (or a big club) as he did at Huddersfield.

This is from a Swedish article I've posted before.

The David Wagner revulotion

Huddersfield Town plays in England's highest division for the first time in forty five years. 
The historic win at Wembley against Reading in May also meant that for the first time, Town would ever enter the Premier League's big stage, which felt bright years off 13 years ago when clubs like Boston United and Darlington stood on the other side of the center line in the English fourth division.

Sen Simon Grayson took the club from League One to The Championship 2012 has played many tough seasons, where key players like Jordan Rhodes and Alex Smithies left West Yorkshire to seek the luck of bigger clubs. 
The results and the placements in the table have gone through the years, and through these misses the club has missed both ambitions and a clear profile. 
This negative trend has been reversed in line with the arrival of coach 
David Wagner , where the German late inauguration in the winter of 2015 created a hope and a belief in the city of Huddersfield and its supporters where the club had an exciting club philosophy.
In this post, I thought about David Wagner's revolutions with The Terriers, about his influence on the team, the club and the city that became a success. 

The trip to Sweden
Before the spring season, this positive change began to take off at the club when David Wagner did a different activity with the player group during their pre-season camp, where it was about something different than playing soccer. 
During the summer of 2016 the truck went to Sweden to go out on a deserted island where they would spend three days. A trip Germany had arranged to merge the group, which had received several new faces during the summer during the transfer window.
No mobile, computer or other electronics were allowed on the island. No house, no food or drink was available, which forced the gamer to collaborate and work together to solve the different everyday life in which they lived. 
This activity and season trip where the group collaborated and got to know each other laid the foundation for the good atmosphere that characterized the squad during last year's season, and strengthened the mentality of the players who were rewarding in demanding matches throughout the season and in the PlayOff finals. 
Wagner, a man of the people.

The new coach immediately showed an appreciated and popular approach, which pleased supporters and the Huddersfield community in more ways than just the tactical and technological changes that took place on the plan.
Aside from other English clubs, German Town's supporters allow the team's daily training, which is practice in several clubs in Germany's home country, but a rarity in the English football. 

Wagner has also ensured that all Town players will live within a certain radius near the training facility to participate in the community, and when the players visit the gym during the weeks they will do it in the same spaces as other residents in Huddersfield. These are some examples of Wagner's brilliant ideas that gave the team and club an even more popular feeling, a feeling that is rarely found in the modern football nowadays.

Despite a clever budget where Town had the fourth least amount of money to spend among the clubs in The Championship last season, Wagner has been successful in finding quests. Free Transfers, finds by scouting from other countries and divisions as well as Loans of talented players from top clubs have compensated this substandard. 

Wagner participated in a press conference during this summer where questions about the 
Premier League start came up. 
During the hearing, he pointed with owner Dean Hoyle next to the fact that the club can not compete with other clubs when it comes to economic forces.
He meant that he and the club find other methods to be able to be effective against their well-off opponents. A method already used in The Championship where Town was also inferior economically. 

A small club with strong ties

Psychological training, teamwork and internship work are some of Wagner's long-term plans for Huddersfield Town, a long-term job that has a great value for a small club with small financial resources.

Managing a small club is something that fits well with Wagner. He himself has said that he likes the advantage of leading a club of this caliber as he gets more free cheats in his task, and that the matters to be taken regarding contracts, transitions and other important decisions are taken with a finger snap where no wire or Board shall influence the process by voting or the like. It is a working, straightforward and smooth communication between the owner Dean Hoyle and Wagner, who, among others, resulted in the club's player stores being able to be made early and fast during the summer transfer window. 

His good friendship with 
Liverpool coach Jürgen Klopp can not be missed. The Germans were colleagues during the Dortmund period when Wagner was a reserve team trainer during Klopp's successful time in the Westfalen club.
Wagner and Klopp have several similar characteristics and philosophies, where tactics, soccer philosophy and personality are a parity of the compatriots. The coach's idea of playing football is almost identical. 

The Terriers Identity The

football that Wagner predicted and applied since his arrival to Huddersfield is not only effective, but also very fun to view. Wagner has put an eye on the club's offensive, filled with speed and finesse where several players will attack at the same time. Defensively, the coach wants the team parts to collectively push high and intensely already on the offensive level to regain the ball possession. A technical football where all teams are used both offensive and defensive. 

Wagner has thus implemented several useful actions since the arrival which improved the club. His actions have not only made a difference to football, but also outside the plan where he created an even bigger community between the club, the supporters and society. The German Revolutionaire has created a clear and proud profile for the club as almost a hundred years after his famous triple league titles, can dream of something big again.

https://www.svenskafans.com/england/the-david-wagner-revulotion-573854.aspx

Question is, can he adapt?

34 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm in a funny place in regards to Wagner.  I think it was incredible that he got Huddersfield promoted.  More incredible that he kept them there.  Small club, minimal budget - the ultimate underdogs.

But then I think about Steve Bruce and his promotion of underdogs, and even Owen Coyle getting Burnley into the PL.

It's one of those where it's impossible to tell.  If he gets a chance here and fails, it's a bad decision.  If he goes somewhere else and succeeds it was a bad decision too.

The one caveat, and it's not just Bruce but applies to a lot of other managers and players, that it's one thing being at a small club and fighting as the underdog, and something completely different being at a big club - the biggest in this division - and the expectation that comes with that.

When Man Utd go to Huddersfield it's like an FA Cup 3rd round match.  The home fans are well up for it because there's a chance of a giant-killing.  You don't get that at Villa Park.

Nail on head, it's a problem for us for both on and off-field staff, dealing with the weight of expectation that comes with Villa as opposed to your Huddersfields of the world. 

Hourihane I think admitted it was the thing he struggled with most joining from Barnsley but it's often entirely overlooked on here.

38 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm in a funny place in regards to Wagner.  I think it was incredible that he got Huddersfield promoted.  More incredible that he kept them there.  Small club, minimal budget - the ultimate underdogs.

But then I think about Steve Bruce and his promotion of underdogs, and even Owen Coyle getting Burnley into the PL.

It's one of those where it's impossible to tell.  If he gets a chance here and fails, it's a bad decision.  If he goes somewhere else and succeeds it was a bad decision too.

The one caveat, and it's not just Bruce but applies to a lot of other managers and players, that it's one thing being at a small club and fighting as the underdog, and something completely different being at a big club - the biggest in this division - and the expectation that comes with that.

When Man Utd go to Huddersfield it's like an FA Cup 3rd round match.  The home fans are well up for it because there's a chance of a giant-killing.  You don't get that at Villa Park.

Agreed, it's also one of the reasons Steve Bruce is/was a poor choice for us. 

One of the things that annoys me about Bruce is taking the underdog mentality.  We are bigger and better than nearly all the championship clubs and should be going out to dominate like Citeh / Utd do.  It won't always work - everyone loses at times -  but we should be looking to impose our gameplan (lol) on others and making them adapt to us.  Especially at home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Throw in Warwick, Holloway, Paul Jewell and Phil Brown to that bracket of managers ?

• Like 1