New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, John said:

Warnock and even David Wagner could soon be looking for a new job looking at their recent results.

They could both be the best managers in the world but there is no way they can compete in that league without spending big.  Was a miracle Huddersfield survived one season.

would love to see Wagner at Villa.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They could both be the best managers in the world but there is no way they can compete in that league without spending big.  Was a miracle Huddersfield survived one season.

would love to see Wagner at Villa.

He played some of worst football around when in Championship. If his name was Allardyce, Pulis or Bruce he would be labelled crap but he has a fancier name

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He played some of worst football around when in Championship. If his name was Allardyce, Pulis or Bruce he would be labelled crap but he has a fancier name

Allerdyce sounds fancier than Wagner imo.

But you can't beat him for intro music

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Did he? I didn’t see Huddersfield enough to comment but in the games I did see they played some good stuff. 

They also beat Man U at home. When’s the last time we managed to do that? 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did he? I didn’t see Huddersfield enough to comment but in the games I did see they played some good stuff. 

They also beat Man U at home. When’s the last time we managed to do that? 

Like you I have not seen enough of Huddersfield other than in the PL on MotD to give a full judgement. However, the year they got promoted from the Championship they finished with a minus 2 goal difference having scored 56 goals and conceding 58 in their 46 games. It doesn't scream of free flowing attacking football to be honest.

22 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Like you I have not seen enough of Huddersfield other than in the PL on MotD to give a full judgement. However, the year they got promoted from the Championship they finished with a minus 2 goal difference having scored 56 goals and conceding 58 in their 46 games. It doesn't scream of free flowing attacking football to be honest.

From what I've seen it certainly hasn't been.

What it has been is getting the absolute maximum out of a mediocre at best, and compared to the opposition far inferior squad by first getting promoted to the PL and then against all odds not getting relegated.

Would he use the same tactics and mindset on a different squad under different conditions? No idea.

He's done a remarkable job at Huddersfield as far as I'm concerned. But it hasn't been free flowing or crowd pleasing for the neutral fan.

30 minutes ago, sne said:

From what I've seen it certainly hasn't been.

What it has been is getting the absolute maximum out of a mediocre at best, and compared to the opposition far inferior squad by first getting promoted to the PL and then against all odds not getting relegated.

Would he use the same tactics and mindset on a different squad under different conditions? No idea.

He's done a remarkable job at Huddersfield as far as I'm concerned. But it hasn't been free flowing or crowd pleasing for the neutral fan.

I agree with all of that, he has done an amazing job with what he has got at his disposal at Huddersfield. Nobody expected them to gain promotion, let alone survive a season in the PL. I do expect they will drop back into the Championship after this season though.

The bolded part is the big question, could he take a bigger job and handle the increased expectation and demand for better football? I don't think anyone on here could categorically say that he would break out of those shackles and have a team playing the football that would entertain the crowd. So for me, it would be a no for now.

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I agree with all of that, he has done an amazing job with what he has got at his disposal at Huddersfield. Nobody expected them to gain promotion, let alone survive a season in the PL. I do expect they will drop back into the Championship after this season though.

The bolded part is the big question, could he take a bigger job and handle the increased expectation and demand for better football? I don't think anyone on here could categorically say that he would break out of those shackles and have a team playing the football that would entertain the crowd. So for me, it would be a no for now.

Still an unknown quantity as he's only managed them.

If he did come here and played that kind of football I'd be bitterly disappointed (promotion would soften the blow) but somehow I have a feeling there is more to him  than what he's been able/allowed to show at Huddersfield.

all speculation of course, he might be unable to expand his style for all I know.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Still an unknown quantity as he's only managed them.

If he did come here and played that kind of football I'd be bitterly disappointed (promotion would soften the blow) but somehow I have a feeling there is more to him  than what he's been able/allowed to show at Huddersfield.

all speculation of course, he might be unable to expand his style for all I know.

He managed Dortmund 2 and lost more games than he won and the same with Hoffenheim Under 17 and Under 19 though the last 2 were shorts spells. He had 160 plus games at Dortmund 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He managed Dortmund 2 and lost more games than he won and the same with Hoffenheim Under 17 and Under 19 though the last 2 were shorts spells. He had 160 plus games at Dortmund 2

Did they have a strong team?

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Did they have a strong team?

Hard to find squads but got them promoted first season then finished 14th, 16th then 18th in relegation in his next 3. Dortmund were at there best then so imagine they had decent reserves

• Thanks 1

Andrea Stramaccioni as the media is now suggesting anyone?

I'm not sure how I feel about an Italian coming in and giving it ago, he does have some experience, but it seems it is short experience 1-2 years at most at each position, he is still young though. In charge of under 17s for Roma, 19s for inter then put in charge of inter themselves but could not win them the league, other teams such as Panathanaikos, sparta praha.

As said above couldn't do it for inter, but that doesn't mean he can't give us promotion now does it??

Everyone's thoughts please??

Edited by Dave-R

11 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'm not sure how I feel about an Italian coming in and giving it ago, he does have some experience, but it seems it is short experience 1-2 years at most at each position, he is still young though. In charge of under 17s for Roma, 19s for inter then put in charge of inter themselves but could not win them the league, other teams such as Panathanaikos, sparta praha.

As said above couldn't do it for inter, but that doesn't mean he can't give us promotion now does it??

or Sparta Prague, Panathinaikos or Udinese

Doesnt sound like a manager that has any pedigree except a fancy name

• Like 2

Wagner

Interesting choice. He would require as much time as he needed at Huddersfield.

He is a good coach but I think the style that we are seeking is not the same style as Wagner.

He like to play high pressing football but he also likes to play on the counter a lot. 

His attacking play is fast and direct.

I don't think that he organises his teams well defensively, they score very little and concede a lot.

They got promoted on a -2 goal difference, they conceded more goals than they scored in 16/17.

Wagner qualities is getting the most out of the team mentally, they play for him and they work very hard.

Personally I don't think that he will join but I also do not think he is the answer.

I would like to think that this technical director that we may already be in talks with may have touted a few suggestions already.

19 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I am friends with a couple of hardcore Italian football fans and they claim he is terrible. No idea myself. 

Need some shock and awe football, whoever the manager is, don't like defensive football that much anymore, so whoever comes in needs to deliver the SHOCK AND AWE at fast pace.