New Manager Speculation

maqroll

I think with Rodgers it's more to do with the style of play he has been known for. That and his agreeable and honest gentlemanly candour. Also, he almost won the Premier league and for Gerrard falling on his arse probably would have. His teams have played some of the best football I've seen. He's not perfect but probably needs to move on now for Celtic. Even the Championship is a bigger draw and a higher level than SPL. He's got nothing more to prove there.

He's far from the only option but he would be one I would look at. The transition would be pretty good and I reckon we'd still have a chance of promotion. How likely it is Rodgers would come I don't know. But I reckon he would be interested.

I would say one of the major problems the club has is that any new manager is going to inherit the mess we’ve currently got at CB and Goalkeeper. Doesn’t matter if we start clicking upfront we’ll still concede tons and while we might win some games you’ll never be successful if you can’t keep a clean sheet. 

Starting to wonder if that mess (paradoxically) is currently what’s keeping Bruce in the job. 

• Like 1

If we concede just one less goal per game we'll win most of them. That could be solved with simple tactical tweaks. This team doesn't seem coached or managed at all. Even some basic improvements should see more wins than draws and defeats.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I would say one of the major problems the club has is that any new manager is going to inherit the mess we’ve currently got at CB and Goalkeeper. Doesn’t matter if we start clicking upfront we’ll still concede tons and while we might win some games you’ll never be successful if you can’t keep a clean sheet. 

Starting to wonder if that mess (paradoxically) is currently what’s keeping Bruce in the job. 

I dont believe so.new managers have new ideas. For example he might bring in a youngster to play cb or use jedinak as a dm to help the defence.

Thing is most of the teams that are successful now defend as a team by pressing as a team and winning the ball in midfield or higher up by forcing mistakes.

For these teams it's not the holding midfielder of defenders who do most of the ball winning.

Sitting deep and having a DCM who is supposed to clean up the mess is not the way to go, especially for our squad.

To use a (rather terrible) comparison Barcelona for the most part has had a weak defensive lineup compared to other top, top teams in Europe and their holding midfielder (Busquets) doesn't win the ball by clattering opponents but rather by reading the game and collecting stray balls forced by mistakes forced by the pressing done by his more advanced team mates.

Obviously we can never attract world class players, but a good manager and coaches can train us to press as a team, win the ball higher and not have to rely on last minute ditches, late challenges and constant defensive one on one challenges we have to win.

A different approach would put less pressure on our blatantly disregarded defense and use the whole team in defense while at the same time making us more attacking.

This is where Bruce is at his most limited.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have a lot of hoofball players though

Do not agree with this, I think we have a lot of gifted players who should be able to play attacking football. We just have a manager who has no idea how to do it or how to utilize the players he has brought in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hughes said:

Do not agree with this, I think we have a lot of gifted players who should be able to play attacking football. We just have a manager who has no idea how to do it or how to utilize the players he has brought in. 

Attack wise but most in defence or defensive midfield except maybe Bjarnason is a clogger

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Attack wise but most in defence or defensive midfield except maybe Bjarnason is a clogger

Not sure if we disagree but I think we have more than enough players in starting XI and matchday squad to play good and attacking football and with Rodgers I am sure we would. 

Rogers is being linked with Manchester United today, there's no way he's coming to Villa Park.

I would offer it to Rafa Benitez, he's done it in this league before and is currently unhappy with the lack of funds since Newcastle were promoted to the Premier League. We could offer him unlimited funds next year if we are promoted. However again I think it's unlikely he will come to Villa Park.

I've seen managers such as Allardyce, McCarthy, Moyes being touted; however they aren't what we need. We need someone progressive, with attacking intent to utilise this unbalanced squad in the correct way. They need to get the fans back onside early.

Dean Smith would be a decent option, but it would be a gamble in the sense of he's never managed or been at a big club like Villa. The pressure is a lot different as Bruce and those before him have found out.

The other option is to go the young and upcoming route Nuno proved it last year and Howe has been doing so for a while in the Premier League. Again it's a gamble as you have to find the right man for the job. For me Henry is a gamble too far, he's never managed a club and it's an unknown quantity we can't afford this season.

Paulo Fonseca is a man I would take from Shaktar Donetsk, again unlikely but is a very good up and coming manager. 

Ivan Leko from Club Brugge is another who is being touted as an excellent upcoming manager. Brugge are playing some brilliant stuff in Belgium.

Andre Villas-Boas is another who has something to prove and plays attacking football which we need at Villa Park.

A lot of these names are unlikely to want to move to the Championship but it's worth a go, there's a lot to offer at Villa Park especially if they can get us back to the Premier League.

I still think Henry will be the man picked once Bruce gets the boot. There had to be something in those reports during the summer, I suppose the question is does he still want it? 

I have no problem with Henry but I think he will need an experienced team around him. Could Wenger be convinced to take a DoF or similar role? 

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I think with Rodgers it's more to do with the style of play he has been known for. That and his agreeable and honest gentlemanly candour. Also, he almost won the Premier league and for Gerrard falling on his arse probably would have. His teams have played some of the best football I've seen. He's not perfect but probably needs to move on now for Celtic. Even the Championship is a bigger draw and a higher level than SPL. He's got nothing more to prove there.

He's far from the only option but he would be one I would look at. The transition would be pretty good and I reckon we'd still have a chance of promotion. How likely it is Rodgers would come I don't know. But I reckon he would be interested.

I think we get him - if we dangled a big enough carrot !  

41 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I still think Henry will be the man picked once Bruce gets the boot. There had to be something in those reports during the summer, I suppose the question is does he still want it? 

I have no problem with Henry but I think he will need an experienced team around him. Could Wenger be convinced to take a DoF or similar role? 

If he needs an experienced team around him - why do we need him ? - why don't we just recruit the experienced team ?