Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

Huth wouldn't be the worst signing in the world on a 2 year deal but definitely no more.

Ideally though whom ever we sign in that position should be able to keep pace with attackers so we don't absolutely HAVE to play a defensive midfielder in every game throughout the game.

That situation becomes even more pressing if Chester goes, I also feel we shouldn't sell Elphick unless he is on very large wages.

I'm always confused when I see "Steve Round and the scouting team have been identifying targets".

The we get linked to the likes of Robert Huth, Gareth Barry etc...

WTF???

Either our scouting budget is a Sky Football League subscription or we have ZERO creativity.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm always confused when I see "Steve Round and the scouting team have been identifying targets".

WTF???

Either our scouting budget is a Sky Football League subscription or we have ZERO creativity.

Have we been linked to Barry though or is it just talk in here?

Not that I know, but as a guess I’d think that Round’s remit is more about signing youth players, bringing in a scouting network, coach development etc. He may have some input on first team signings but maybe not that much

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Have we been linked to Barry though or is it just talk in here?

Not that I know, but as a guess I’d think that Round’s remit is more about signing youth players, bringing in a scouting network, coach development etc. He may have some input on first team signings but maybe not that much

Less emphasis on Round, and more on the "Scouting Network".

Obviously links are just links, but rarely do we ever end up with anything further than EFL/Premier League, like ever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

In the long term, yes, but we only have one CB. There is no catch-all way, you need promising players but you also need players who are good now, in the short term. It's not a case of young = good, older = bad. 

We have a depleted first team and an ostensibly low budget - we have to cut our cloth accordingly in both the short and long term and signing players who aren't good enough now is beyond our means IMO. 

I agree there needs to be an element of pragmatism and of course a balance. But I think that there needs to ne a shift in the overall culture. That of course may need big changes right at the top. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

WTF???

I believe he found his 2008 copy of FIFA and is signing players from that. Matt Jarvis and Kevin Doyle are also being looked at

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll take anything that means I can enjoy watching us. 

I enjoyed Gareth Barry passing the ball for years. I'll take it again over players panicking at the sight of their own shadow.

I see in the BBC gossip column that Gareth Barry has taken up the extra year option on his contract, which I would imagine means he isn’t coming here as a fee would now be required. We probably can’t afford his wages that he will earn in that year either to be honest.

From the Express and Star GB extends WBA stay

Gareth Barry has exercised the optional one-year extension in his Albion contract and has today reported for the first day of pre-season.

45 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I see in the BBC gossip column that Gareth Barry has taken up the extra year option on his contract, which I would imagine means he isn’t coming here as a fee would now be required. We probably can’t afford his wages that he will earn in that year either to be honest.

From the Express and Star GB extends WBA stay

Gareth Barry has exercised the optional one-year extension in his Albion contract and has today reported for the first day of pre-season.

No, it just means West Brom will have to foot the bill to get rid of him. 

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Excellent. Also they hopefully forgot to put a relegation clause in so his wages hammer them next year. 

Edited by sidcow

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Well there is that, but I doubt they would do us any favours and would rather let him sit in the stands than subsidise a move to us. Hopefully as Sidcow says, he takes up a nice chunk of their budget at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeilS said:

Well there is that, but I doubt they would do us any favours and would rather let him sit in the stands than subsidise a move to us. Hopefully as Sidcow says, he takes up a nice chunk of their budget at least.

yeah but they owe us after we took Lescott from them ;)

On 25/06/2018 at 10:51, Jareth said:

Blue sky thinking here but Trent Sainsbury is at a Chinese club - maybe we can throw a few Chinese bucks around avoiding the money leaving China...

Available on a free, we really can live well for less.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2018 at 08:14, Demitri_C said:

He may be forced to this yeah though Dave. Cant see many signings coming in. But from what I've heard there isn't many superb cbs potential in the u23s. Suli gets mentioned but I've read he has struggled at most of the club's he has been loaned to. Beadeau there seems to be high hopes for but he is very young.

I have always rated him higher than Suliman - considering he is 2 years younger (18)

3 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I have always rated him higher than Suliman - considering he is 2 years younger (18)

He’s younger than Suliman yes but he’s not better than him, they’re both very good talents

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Â