Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

We don’t need to only bring in players that we have a chance of making money on, Jonah. If the deal is right (ie: ridiculously low wages in Barry’s case) then any signing shouldn’t be written off simply because there’s no sell-on value. We won’t make any money off loan signings but I bet you’d have Snodgrass back in a heartbeat.

Let’s not make the mistake of also thinking that just because a player isn’t lighting up the Premier League, that there isn’t a chance that he has a part to play down in the Championship. Most people wanted rid of Clark and Baker when we got relegated, but I bet we’d have them back now.

I think in our current situation, with xia and bruce remaining and promotion not looking a real target for next season, then we should be looking to build something with more of a long term view. Now snodgrass is a good point and i wouldn't be against signing him, because while there is no re sale value I know snodgrass could have a major impact on a promotion push next year. Barry will not IMO. 

So for me, barry will neither have a big impact or allow us to build anything long term. It would be a short term signing that does nothing but cememt us in this league. 

Also, his actions last year with albion were disgraceful and after losing gabby why would we want to bring an element of that back?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

BBC linking us with Robert Huth again this morning.  Have to say, I'd be quite happy with him. 

As long as we don't offer him a 3 year contract on high wages, which wouldn't shock me if we did offer it. But on a serious note, it's said that we've spoken with him but no formal offer has been made yet. Also said he's willing to take a wage cut so I'd be happy with it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If it’s true, then the idea we are looking at players like Huth, shows that Steve Bruce is a leopard that can’t change his spots. 

Many on here have given their opinion that we need to look forward at younger players with promise and hunger. Brucie just doesn’t have the skill set or attitude to do this. And if the board, whoever they may be, allow him to replace an old expensive wage squad with a relatively poorer version of the same, then our immediate future remains in the dark ages. 

You do realise that younger players with hunger and promise are somewhat out of our price range right now? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You do realise that younger players with hunger and promise are somewhat out of our price range right now? 

Theres a couple dozen in our u23 squad and thousands across europe that we could sign for relatively little.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If it’s true, then the idea we are looking at players like Huth, shows that Steve Bruce is a leopard that can’t change his spots. 

Many on here have given their opinion that we need to look forward at younger players with promise and hunger. Brucie just doesn’t have the skill set or attitude to do this. And if the board, whoever they may be, allow him to replace an old expensive wage squad with a relatively poorer version of the same, then our immediate future remains in the dark ages. 

Huth on a free is a good signing but hey lets just use it as another stick to beat bruce with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Theres a couple dozen in our u23 squad and thousands across europe that we could sign for relatively little.

I didn't realise it was that simple and that not only are there thousands of players we could sign for next to nothing who are good enough to improve our squad, we already had 2 dozen there in our u23s! Praise be! We're saved! 

Christ alive. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

didnt he not score a goal after christmas

Hogan has scored less than 2 goals is 18 months. Kodjia god knows if he would be the same.

I like the look of him and think he is better than Hogan so I would say yes.

33 y.o old impressively slow and hasn't played football in a year.

still, could be a solid signing. standard of attacking in the Championship is wank.

And although obviously a far superior player in his day Terry was in much the same situation when he signed for us and he turned out better than I dared hope for.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

We have an academy plus many managers find new talent that grow into the next stars without breaking the bank. It needs a good manager/recruitment system in place. That’s the problem not money. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I didn't realise it was that simple and that not only are there thousands of players we could sign for next to nothing who are good enough to improve our squad, we already had 2 dozen there in our u23s! Praise be! We're saved! 

Christ alive. 

who said they would improve us? Think you are putting words in my mouth there.

Having said that, i could list a lot of players under 21 in league 1 and league 2 with the potential to improve us that we could get for very little.

unfortunately when discussing young playes the focus is 'what they could be' as opposed to 'what they are now'.

Its the exact point people are trying to make.  sign old players suggests short term thinking. signing young players shows long term thinking as you are taking a chance on them becoming more.

Id rather we signed 20 teenagers where 2 or 3 break through in 12 months than sign a 35 year old to get us through 1 season.

i'd accept a few years of mediocrity if there was a sign we were bringing in lots of young players with a view to making them pay off.  I do not want to see us continuing to waste money on now over the future.  sustainability first!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Huth on a free is a good signing but hey lets just use it as another stick to beat bruce with.

That wasn’t my intention, but he has no history in a long career of developing young players. That is what we need. So if it’s a criticism of Bruce then it’s a valid one. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Huth would be a good signing on a 1 year deal.

agreed. CB is one of those positions where you need 2/3 experienced heads and to blood youth in lesser games or in 10-15 min spells throughout until they are ready to step up.

i wouldnt want huth on more than 1 year though. maybe with another year option.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We have an academy plus many managers find new talent that grow into the next stars without breaking the bank. It needs a good manager/recruitment system in place. That’s the problem not money. 

In the long term, yes, but we only have one CB. There is no catch-all way, you need promising players but you also need players who are good now, in the short term. It's not a case of young = good, older = bad. 

We have a depleted first team and an ostensibly low budget - we have to cut our cloth accordingly in both the short and long term and signing players who aren't good enough now is beyond our means IMO. 

• Like 1

The Birmingham Mail has a report that we are looking at Trent Sainsbury. Looks decent in the Aussie games to date but I assume his value is increasing with each game and that he is by now outside our price range if we currently have any sort of price range that is.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

That wasn’t my intention, but he has no history in a long career of developing young players. That is what we need. So if it’s a criticism of Bruce then it’s a valid one. 

He may be forced to this yeah though Dave. Cant see many signings coming in. But from what I've heard there isn't many superb cbs potential in the u23s. Suli gets mentioned but I've read he has struggled at most of the club's he has been loaned to. Beadeau there seems to be high hopes for but he is very young.

3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

agreed. CB is one of those positions where you need 2/3 experienced heads and to blood youth in lesser games or in 10-15 min spells throughout until they are ready to step up.

i wouldnt want huth on more than 1 year though. maybe with another year option.

Yep, he'll be a lot better than Terry next season.

Â