Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

No doubt I’ll get labelled as naive for even questioning such a likely and fitting piece of speculation, but if we can’t even afford free transfers then why and how was Hutton given a new deal. If it’s really that bad, then surely re-signing a 6th, 7th, 8th (whatever it is) right-back who also slots in as our 2nd left-back would have been at the very bottom of our list? 

In other news, we’ve apparently ‘put out feelers’ for Union Berlin defender Toni Leistner.

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

No doubt I’ll get labelled as naive for even questioning such a likely and fitting piece of speculation, but if we can’t even afford free transfers then why and how was Hutton given a new deal. If it’s really that bad, then surely re-signing a 6th, 7th, 8th (whatever it is) right-back who also slots in as our 2nd left-back would have been at the very bottom of our list? 

In other news, we’ve apparently ‘put out feelers’ for Union Berlin defender Toni Leistner.

Where have you heard that last bit?

15 hours ago, John said:

Yes, I would very much like to see some given an opportunity during this season (we seem to have little choice) but they have to be introduced gradually, not all at once, not without some more experienced players playing alongside them and not with the pressure of knowing that if they fail to hit the ground running or go off the boil after a run of games they may face the blame for our poor results (not that I think that our fans would put the blame on them).  

:crylaugh:

Not been a Villa fan very long then :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

He's first choice left back though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He's first choice left back though.

I’m talking squad numbers. He’ll be considered as a left back (of which we’ll have two) and he’ll be one of (3?) right backs if we exclude Richards.

As average as Taylor may have been for us last season, he would easily be good enough to be the 1st choice leftback in a team that can’t afford free transfers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

As average as Taylor may have been for us last season, he would easily be good enough to be the 1st choice leftback in a team that can’t afford free transfers.

Honestly rather have Mitch Clark there ahead of Taylor

20 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Honestly rather have Mitch Clark there ahead of Taylor

Clark is naturally a centre back who can fill in at right back or left back if needed, I can’t understand why he was only given a one year contract extension, the other young players were given 3 years (Hepburn-Murphy, Suliman and Green)

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

any links to a goalkeeper? replacing Johnstone even if it is Steer we need a back-up for him

I would imagine Steer will be first choice with Bunn as his back up ( he was on the retained list so i assume he's signed a new one year deal? ) Sarkic as 3rd choice.

50 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I saw something about us signing an 18 year old keeper a couple of days ago. I’m not sure if it was confirmed or a rumour.

Was it Viljami Sinisalo? A 16 year old goalkeeper, I posted it in the academy thread

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

I would imagine Steer will be first choice with Bunn as his back up ( he was on the retained list so i assume he's signed a new one year deal? ) Sarkic as 3rd choice.

Not over happy with either Steer or Bunn and I don't see the reason to have offered a new contract to Bunn in our present cash strapped situation if we have done so.

55 minutes ago, John said:

Not over happy with either Steer or Bunn and I don't see the reason to have offered a new contract to Bunn in our present cash strapped situation if we have done so.

Because he's probably only on £300 p.w. !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John said:

Because it would be significantly cheaper than signing ANYONE with signing on fees and other miscellaneous costs. 

Seems to me a highly logical thing to do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

I would hope that the club are being as frugal as possible, offering no signing on fee (or a small token amount, like £20k) and offering a basic wage for an ageing, back-up keeper. Something around the £5k p/w area.

As mentioned, at this time when we have as much spare cash as the hobos in the City Centre, it's probably sensible to keep an experienced player on low wages for another year, as opposed to the next cheapest option, which would either be a youth keeper (which would be a risky move, if he ever needed to be called upon) or bringing in a free transfer, who would probably expect a signing on fee of £100k+ minimum.

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Was it Viljami Sinisalo? A 16 year old goalkeeper, I posted it in the academy thread

That was him SGC :thumb:. I must have misread that he was 18.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John said:

What don't you like about Steer? 

I think he's always done really well whenever asked to play, been sitting on the bench patiently for 5 years about time he got his chance. I think he will prove to be better than Johnstone

• Like 1

Â