The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Do you think the Var officials look out for the officials on the pitch even when there is a glaring error, such as the Brighton game today, from the side angle you can clearly see the ball is in the goal before the second whistle.

So it makes me wonder if Stockley are looking after their own. 

I don’t even know why there was a second whistle. He blows to let them take the free kick. What’s the second whistle for?

absolute shambles

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t even know why there was a second whistle. He blows to let them take the free kick. What’s the second whistle for?

absolute shambles

I’ll have to watch this on MOTD. According to the BBC

Dunk scored from a quickly taken free-kick in the first half but the goal was eventually ruled out after a bizarre few minutes at The Hawthorns which only ended after the video assistant referee (VAR) intervened.

"I said to the referee, 'can I take it?' He blew his whistle and I took it," Dunk told Sky Sports. "Why doesn't he come and speak to the press like me? Never, they hide behind their bubble.

Dunk quickly curled a free-kick into the net after Mason blew his whistle while West Brom were still setting up their wall.

But almost as soon as he had blown, Mason did so again after realising goalkeeper Sam Johnstone was not yet in position.

It was ruled out by the referee - but Mason quickly changed his decision as Brighton's players strongly appealed against it - before VAR intervened.

What’s the point of a quick free kick if you have to wait for the opposition to be ready? Absolute shambles.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

What’s the point of a quick free kick if you have to wait for the opposition to be ready? Absolute shambles.

think refs allow quick free kicks as long as they haven’t halted play to officiate (issue cautions, cards, marking free kick distances, etc etc and otherwise distracted from the game). If the team don’t play it fast enough that the ref has to start ensuring a wall is 10 yards.

It makes sense, so the opposition isn’t unfairly in a position where they’re taking instructions from a referee while play continues. I haven’t seen this incident though so can’t comment on if I think it applies in this case.

Edited by a m ole
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

I'd imagine that after you start to set a wall etc it's no longer a quick FK and it should be on refs whistle. He shouldn't have allowed that to take place. Quick free kick is more instant than allowing a wall to be formed... I think what happened was that the ref perceived the goal as morally dubious and got an out from VAR. It was same as that Halsey/Henry one at VP 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I'd imagine that after you start to set a wall etc it's no longer a quick FK and it should be on refs whistle. He shouldn't have allowed that to take place. Quick free kick is more instant than allowing a wall to be formed... I think what happened was that the ref perceived the goal as morally dubious and got an out from VAR. It was same as that Halsey/Henry one at VP 

I agree, it’s clear he thought it was morally dubious, but the fact that Var are trying to now say the second whistle was blown before the ball cross the line to justify it being disallowed is what is becoming the shambles.

From the pitch side cam you can see the ball is in the goal before the second whistle blows.

Var is highlighting how easy it is to corrupt football, especially as they then don’t show their justifications when it’s wrong, just stay mute and hope it goes away. 

• Like 1

For what it’s worth I’m glad that that quick free kick goal doesn’t stand. I hate those goals and it feels like a really cheat way to score a goal.

Obviously the officiating around it was abysmal but the people calling for that to be given as a goal should really look at the issues it creates if refs allow a team to score a free kick while the keeper is in the act of setting his  wall.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

For what it’s worth I’m glad that that quick free kick goal doesn’t stand. I hate those goals and it feels like a really cheat way to score a goal.

Obviously the officiating around it was abysmal but the people calling for that to be given as a goal should really look at the issues it creates if refs allow a team to score a free kick while the keeper is in the act of setting his  wall.

This is my view. All these years later it's still frustrating that the idea was created to our cost because Mark Halsey wanted to tickle Thierry Henry's pommes de terre.

At least Lee Mason didn't shield the ball for Dunk and actually did blow his whistle, mind.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The rules are the ref can let the player take a quick free kick or ask for a wall. Its the attacking advantage so they should be allowed do it

Pretty sure we scored this season from a quick free kick though we were about 20 yards further back

• Like 1

If indeed it was disallowed as the referee blew the whistle the second time before the ball was in the net, how was the free kick retaken? The chain of events would have been:

Whistle blown to allow free kick.

Free kick taken.

Referee's whistle was blown to halt play while the ball was in motion (for whatever reason).

So surely the restart should have been a drop ball? The free kick was taken legitimately and play continued, even if only briefly. I don't understand what rule or law would permit play to be rolled back to that extent?

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The rules are the ref can let the player take a quick free kick or ask for a wall. Its the attacking advantage so they should be allowed do it

Pretty sure we scored this season from a quick free kick though we were about 20 yards further back

I think you shouldn’t be able to score from a direct shot on goal with a quick free kick or something in that spirit. I think the decision yesterday was correct in the end. Everything was set for a direct shot on goal, as is the manner, with everyone set. To take that shot with the goalkeeper setting his wall, stood at the post, is unsporting.

It is just the amount of incompetence surrounding the whole incidence. The trust in officiating in at its lowest ebb.

I think the outcome was probably fair, in the end, and the Brighton player who took the shot should have a look at himself tbh. Legal or not it'd have been a dick move, and so I'm glad they managed to throw the points away, it's just what they deserved.

No excuse for the shambolic refereeing though.

58 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

There are no rules that outline what the keeper should be doing. If he wants to, he can go and have a seat behind the goal and reply to some texts.

The blame stands with the weak referee who either;

-should have waited for everyone to be ready before he blew the whistle

Or

-allowed the goal after he blew the whistle

He did neither so it's another mistake to add to the catalogue of the world's best league.

Â