The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

VAR is still bullshit, don't get me wrong. I just think a lot of people are ignoring the offside flag. There's been far worse calls this year.

Yeah agree with that

as bad as that offside is it’s something we’ve seen in about 3 of our games let alone anyone else’s, it’s one of the most consistent decisions in the league no matter how much fans don’t like it so it’s not actually bad or controversial anymore

He’s offside by about an inch. Why the heck would VAR overturn the call on the field? There are so many reasons to hate the PL version of VAR, but not overturning a correct call isn’t one of them, surely? 

• Like 2

I didn't think the VAR refs knew their arse from their elbow but tonight I was gladly proved wrong.  What bothers me more is how the rules change mid-season, surely the powers-that-be have watched enough football to decide before the season starts what should count as handball, offside, interfering with play etc.  Not VAR related but they're throwing in concussion substitutes next week, which with football being the sport where cheats prosper the most I can see getting abused and be chaos.

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Offsides shouldn't be in VAR. Penalties and red card situations and the ref have to run out and check those himself. Will still be wrong decisions but would improve it a bit for me.

And flag for offside directly when you see it.

What if in checking for either you notice someone is offside?

Still not comfortable with mm offsides, but in terms of consistency there was nothing wrong with either decision tonight. Ball comes of Cash's thigh to his hand, that's legal according to them. Ings offside by an asscheek hair, that's also offside as Ollie Watkins found out at least twice this season.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

How did Fernendes not get sent off for that rake down the heel?

didn't even get carded iirc. Xhaka didn't react, which I think is a sad state of affairs. They shouldn't have to be playacting for all of this.

All that being said, if he's not in a Man U kit, that would have been a red

I reflected on why I initially liked VAR but now absolutely hate it. I think part of it has to do with how shit the PL is implementing it, and how terrible PL referees are, but I also think it’s because my only previous experience with VAR was as a neutral. Watching football as a fan is very different, and it’s that experience that VAR totally effs up for me. I could live with the breaks if VAR ensured you got fair and common sense decisions, but now it’s just making football worse. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

And we got 6 minutes against despite two injuries taking up no more than 30 seconds each and no goals.

And no subs from us! (Not sure if the subs thing has been mentioned on VT yet?) 

Â