The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Towards the end of my American father's life, I was able to get him to appreciate (soccer) by watching the Premier League and some CL games together. I explained the rules to him and some of the nuances and culture of the sport. He really enjoyed it. But had VAR been around at that time, he'd have 100% lost interest. The beauty of football before VAR was the free flowing continuous action. Now with VAR, the sport is morphing into an NFL style spectacle with stops and starts, an over-reliance on technology, interference from the officiating crew and the parsing of the rule book. It is a sad and frustrating situation with seemingly no recourse for fans.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How can Mike Dean go and look at TV replays and not only reinforce his decision to award a penalty but also send the player off, given the context (6-0, already a man down) it was a farcical decision, the guy is a Representative for Wellingborough.

I bet Mike Dean has a closet full of Hugo Boss uniforms.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Worst part is Mike Dean is probably one of the better referees in the league

Honestly think he is one of if not the worst since he always manages to make himself the center of attention in the games he officiates. 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly think he is one of if not the worst since he always manages to make himself the center of attention in the games he officiates. 

14 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Go and wash ya mouth out

I never said he was a good ref 😉 just better than some of the others like Moss, Oliver and Kevin Friend etc. 

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How can Mike Dean go and look at TV replays and not only reinforce his decision to award a penalty but also send the player off, given the context (6-0, already a man down) it was a farcical decision, the guy is a Representative for Wellingborough.

I watched MotD and it looked like the pitch side monitor froze - the video image was just a still.  You could see him chatting away, presumably to try to get them to replay it/get it working. It looked like they couldn’t, so he stuck with his original wrong decision.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I watched MotD and it looked like the pitch side monitor froze - the video image was just a still.  You could see him chatting away, presumably to try to get them to replay it/get it working. It looked like they couldn’t, so he stuck with his original wrong decision.

A bit like when they decided not to broadcast any replays of how Rodri was 10 yards offside for City against us a few weeks ago until 5 minutes after the goal had been scored...........remember when people scoffed at the thought of VAR being used to manipulate results?!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

This needs a thorough review once the season ends, shambolic it’s in current form. 

we said that last season and there was no review. it's here to stay, gotta just get used to it.

we know how it can be easily improved. every fan i guarantee will be able to offer at least 1 area where VAR can be improved upon. it's just a shame that those in charge cannot

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I actually like VAR, well the technology at least.. it’s how the PL has gone about implementing it which has been awful. 

This. It should be there to correct officiating howlers - the clear and obvious errors - and to determine goals (did the ball go in). That's all. Tiny distances of offside/onside, or "was there any slight contact" or "interpretation" - just leave it with the on field officials.

6 hours ago, blandy said:

That's another thing that really rubs me the wrong way. When they go to the monitor, they typically look at just 1 angle. I can't remember what game it was, but it was at the weekend. The ref goes to the monitor, and is only shown 1 (inconclusive) angle. There was another angle shown in the replays that was much more conclusive, making it an easier decision. He started to walk away, and then luckily the angle changed, so he came back to look at it again and eventually came to the correct decision. Made me wonder how many wrong decisions were given because the ref didn't look at the correct angle.

• Like 1

What’s really starting to bother me is how much air time and focus the referees now get, we already had the likes of Mike Dean thinking they were more important than they are, now we’ve created monsters across the board.

The best referees are the ones you don’t notice, if you’re not angry at a ref after a game they probably performed their duties well.

• Like 2

Â