The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, YLN said:

The rule is that the handball leads immediately to a goalscoring opportunity or goes into the goal. Immediately is the important word here. If the ball hits the arm and falls to a player 2 yards out who has an open goal, then ok. But Maja does a shimmy, and then takes a touch and then shoots into the bottom corner. That was not immediate. And with that door open to allowing the goal and saying not handball because not immediate, closing the door and calling offside is disgraceful.

Its down to interpretation of whether it led immediately to goalscoring opportunity or not. I think the video assistant ref got that right myself but the rule sucks. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Infantino (prick) thinks VAR delays are adding to the excitement in football 🤣

Infantino is a horrible human being. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

wait till the VAR wait time advert breaks start

Only a matter of time, especially since people seem to be gagging for the idea of having managerial challenges for VAR. That would 100% lead to commercial VAR breaks. And then there is a short way to time-outs (also with commercial breaks of course) and then 4 quarters with even more commercial breaks in the time for the WC in the US/Canada in 2026

• Haha 1

FIFA/UEFA are never going to allow it to be scrapped. Will likely see a bunch of changes but the ref's are going to be the same and they will continue to protect each other so the rules will be as muddy as possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Surely it's scrapped for next season? Surely??

Fans hate it but there isn’t enough pressure from other people within the game about it. I’m amazed nobody really calling for it to go. 

Corrupt corrupt corrupt corrupt,  shove it up fifa's jacksy.

Rewind the game 10 years, it was corrupt then but less so I'd guess.

Something I noticed yesterday was we were flagged off side instantly in possession where it wasn't overly obvious, game was stopped instantly in that passage of play, no var, nothing, I'd wager if we were manU we would have been aloud to go on and score, then var would be used to try and justify it being a goal if they could get away with it, but us and others its the reverse most if the time.

Not a fan of it, rubbish.

The problem isn't video replays to help the referee, it's the way it's used and all the rules surrounding it.

VAR was pitched as a way to stamp out howlers, and I guess it does that, but it spends the rest of the time sucking the fun out of top level football.

Just simplify it as much as possible. If VAR thinks there's a potential error, the on field ref who originally made the decision gets to see the same thing again, at normal speed, from a few different angles, once from each angle. He or she can then make a call one way or the other.

No forensic slow motion replays. No overlayed offside lines. No having referees in a bunker overturn decisions, let the onfield ref do it.

• Like 2

Another insanely stupid VAR sequence in the Dortmund Sevilla game. 

Haaland scored from a tight angle only for the goal to be chalked off so that Dortmund could be awarded a penalty from 2 passages of play earlier. Imagine having a goal YOU scored chalked off so YOU can be given a penalty! 

Haaland hit the post with the penalty, only for the keeper to be judged to be off his line, and Haaland scored on the second attempt. 

Bizarre.

53 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Haaland scored from a tight angle only for the goal to be chalked off so that Dortmund could be awarded a penalty from 2 passages of play earlier. Imagine having a goal YOU scored chalked off so YOU can be given a penalty! 

Haaland hit the post with the penalty, only for the keeper to be judged to be off his line, and Haaland scored on the second attempt. 

Bizarre.

As i said in other thread, it took 6 minutes to complete the sequence

On 07/03/2021 at 12:38, KenjiOgiwara said:

FIFA has no influence over the PL do they?

on certain rules yes they do, PGMOL has some flexibility but cant rewrite the rules

i thought FIFA were doing some sort of investigation as to what has gone wrong? was looking for forward to their one pager written with a sharpie in big letters "PGMOL are shit"

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Bizarre.

That’s just not football.

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I don't think it's possible to handball inside the box now is it.

That one given against Trezeguet outside the area on Saturday would never have been given inside.

I think that one would. He moved his hand to the ball, tried to cover his face and make himself bigger etc. That's what I think of when I think of handball.

It's the one thing that I think VAR has been getting right lately. Giving handballs for balls hitting someone's hand from point blank range never sat right with me. Doesn't seem in the spirit of the rule. 

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Bizarre.

Confused by this, they disallowed a Dortmund goal because of a foul on a Dortmund player in the area prior to the goal?

Â