The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Taking a page from the Tyrone mings criticism that "he should know better" 

Last night was a tight call that the lino got wrong ultimately proved by VAR, that's what it's there for

the baggies need to take a long hard look at themselves, they gave up, stopped playing without a whistle, sawyers in particular (who gave up on everything the lazy bastard) they should know that VAR will review it so just keep playing, I assume that's what the ref knew so let play continue 

VAR used to rectify a mistake that's very easy to make rather than her using it to do her job for her, got no problem with that 

Got no issue with what the officials did for that goal, it was all on the baggies 

Disagree, given that linesmen and women, as it was a woman, are now told to keep flags down until confirmed as offside I think wba had every right to stop, and the goal should not have been allowed.

Match officials seem to be making more mistakes at the moment, think they need to knuckle down and concentrate on their jobs again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Man City benefit again.

Match officials seem to be as confused as us lot.....it was already a tough job which has been made tougher with VAR, not easier.

Just scrap it and give us our football back please.

That decision in the Albion game isn't a difficult one to get right to be fair. Its a good case for why the officials don't put their flag up until the move has ended. Why on earth the flag went up when it did is the main issue here along with why play wasn't called back once the flag did go up.

23 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

That decision in the Albion game isn't a difficult one to get right to be fair. Its a good case for why the officials don't put their flag up until the move has ended. Why on earth the flag went up when it did is the main issue here along with why play wasn't called back once the flag did go up.

It’s not difficult but match officials have so many rules and processes to consider now it seems to be having a detrimental impact on their ability to get the basics right.

The play absolutely has to stop when the flag goes up. It's the same as a whistle in my mind in that it's a clear indication from an official that an infringement has occurred.

If players aren't expected to react to a flag going up, then they absolutely shouldn't be flagging for offside under any circumstances. Just let it play out and go to VAR. Another stupid side affect of the current implementation of VAR.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a-k said:

Back to goal during the build-up phase. Does anyone other than Liverpool fans really think this should have been ruled out?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Said it before but these mm offside calls are just so against common sense, what advantage is he gaining there?

I'd like to see a certain distance (5cms or so?) introduced for "leeway", on the shoulder attackers are getting **** over at the moment and I don't think anybody wants to see it.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's an absolute disgrace to the game. I'm not going to celebrate that 3 pts.

When it's that tight, I think you just go with the on field call.  Sometimes it'll be flagged, sometimes it won't.

Drawing lines to decide whether an arse cheek or shirt sleeve is further forward is **** ridiculous.

• Like 2

Offsides shouldn't be in VAR. Penalties and red card situations and the ref have to run out and check those himself. Will still be wrong decisions but would improve it a bit for me.

And flag for offside directly when you see it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

When it's that tight, I think you just go with the on field call.  Sometimes it'll be flagged, sometimes it won't.

Drawing lines to decide whether an arse cheek or shirt sleeve is further forward is **** ridiculous.

I think that's the main thing that will be forgotten by the masses. The on field call was no pen and offside. Now, in my opinion, I don't think that's ever offside as he's 99.9% level, but on field it was given offside and anyways for consistency it has to be offside given what's ruled been ruled against Watkins earlier on.

It's still a joke but I am happy tonight but as was said no VAR the lino flagged so we still would have won.

I have been discussing VAR again this week with a mate and we both came up with that when it comes to lines on the pitch the whole ball has to cross the line.  See hawkeye and where corners are taken from these days.  

So if you are drawing lines for offside then I think it's only fair the same rules apply if its obvious then it's offside if its not then they are sharing the line so it onside.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I would go as far as to suggest that where he put the line on ings arm was open to interpretation and he put it exactly where it needed to be to back his mate up 

VAR is still bullshit, don't get me wrong. I just think a lot of people are ignoring the offside flag. There's been far worse calls this year.

Â