Glenn Whelan

Jareth

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Really?

He's been very average. In what way has he been brilliant?

Ok, brilliant was perhaps an exaggeration and more reflects how positively surprised I am of him. I just think it is so refreshing to see a proper midfielder puting in complete midfield performances. In comparison to the last years midfielders who haven't done the basics in tracking back, anxious sideways passing or tapping the ball to the nearest player and going hiding for large parts of the game. Glenny seems to make the right desisions all the time, there we can speak of someone who makes it ticking over and who does the quiet unnoticed work. But yeah, to be fair he's been more solid than brilliant. 

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Agreed i have yet to see anything more than a 6/10 performance from him.

As soon as Jedinak comes back he should be benched.

He really shouldn't be a guaranteed starter but because Bruce plays negatively the majority of times I expect he will be

13 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Ok, brilliant was perhaps an exaggeration and more reflects how positively surprised I am of him. I just think it is so refreshing to see a proper midfielder puting in complete midfield performances. In comparison to the last years midfielders who haven't done the basics in tracking back, anxious sideways passing or tapping the ball to the nearest player and going hiding for large parts of the game. Glenny seems to make the right desisions all the time, there we can speak of someone who makes it ticking over and who does the quiet unnoticed work. But yeah, to be fair he's been more solid than brilliant. 

Sorry mate but I just don't see that from him. I think it goes unnoticed because he brings nothing to the game. Maybe I'm wrong and would love someone to provide stats to show it because I dread to think we have another dud midfielder on our books.

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Sorry mate but I just don't see that from him. I think it goes unnoticed because he brings nothing to the game. Maybe I'm wrong and would love someone to provide stats to show it because I dread to think we have another dud midfielder on our books.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:50, Bunnski said:

I thought he played well tonight, broke up a lot of play and his passing was good. Does a lot of the donkey work that goes unnoticed so he'll inevitably be hated at Villa but his stats for tonight were 3 tackles, 3 interceptions, 5 successful long passes from 8 attempted and 53 total passes with a 93% pass completion.  

Theres his stats for the Bristol city game, if he does that every game then we will have one of the best midfielders in the division. I wasnt a big fan of him before he came to Villa but I think hes got better with each game as he settles in. 

2 hours ago, Bunnski said:

Theres his stats for the Bristol city game, if he does that every game then we will have one of the best midfielders in the division. I wasnt a big fan of him before he came to Villa but I think hes got better with each game as he settles in. 

Can't argue with the stats but I must admit, I didn't notice him in that game either so maybe it's just me ignoring what he does.

On 9/4/2017 at 20:00, Keener window-cleaner said:

I sense this becoming the new Ashley Westwood thread :-D

(The difference for me is that I so far fully support Whelan and want him in the team, which I didn't with Westwood).

I was going to reply that at least Westwood had supporters... 

He played holding midfielder and did it ok it my opinion, nothing more nothing less. He lost the ball and misplaced passes a bit more than in the previous games, but you can also point at when he saved Chester's ass in the first half.

He doesn't contribute much going forward but I agree with terrytini that he probably does what he is instructed to do.

Seems odd that Lansbury sits on the bench, he should either play beside or instead of Whelan. 

Whelan is there is to break play, pass the ball to the more creative players. When he does break play up or receive the ball. He has 2 wingers who don't want the **** ball, 2 CMs who don't want the **** ball and two static FBs who are further **** back then he is.

Every **** time.

• Like 1

Â