Glenn Whelan

Jareth

5 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Another 5 or 6 out of 10 performance i think were riding our luck with him.

When we play the better sides in the division we will need Jedinak back, although i'm not convinced he has the mobility to play in a 4-4-2

I hate that phrase, we should be the best side in division and not worry about our opponents

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I hate that phrase, we should be the best side in division and not worry about our opponents

100% agree. We shouldn't be playing a DM at home anyway, never mind one that is shot to bits. 

There is a massive gap between midfield and attack that forces us to play long balls, and ultimately leads to losing possession regularly. 

He's underrated ,he is poor on the ball alright but so is Jedinak does a lot of work that goes unnoticed  he gets heavily criticised but not sure if it's all warranted he has made mistakes but still every team needs a player like him in it a bit of dog in him .

• Like 2

Totally get why Bruce brought him in if we are intending to play with a holding player. The problem for me is that I don't like having a holding player at the expense of a more creative midfielder and yesterday he was absolutely abysmal in the 2nd half.

We seem to be very defensive minded with him in the side and that wouldn't be such a bad thing if we were away to Man United, but at home to Forest?

I'm probably in the minority who thought Whelan had a good game on Saturday, and again last night.

I don't think he is the type of player that you need spraying passes around a pitch, which is one of the weaker aspects of his game (although some of his long balls are pretty good). Instead he's the player that you need in there breaking up the play and doing the dirty work to let Hourihane and the wingers play their game. A lot like Petrov (not as good obviously) but you would miss him if he wasn't playing, and not notice him when he is playing.

Whether Lansbury or Jedinak can do the same job in a midfield 2 remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm probably in the minority who thought Whelan had a good game on Saturday, and again last night.

I thought he was shocking on saturday. 

What i would say though, i think Whelan and Jedinak maybe unfairly judged by Bruces tactics. By that i mean that many of us think the very notion of this squad needing a dedicated DM, especially at home is to negative. Though that obviously isn't the fault of those players in question, but it probably contributes to the negative opinion of the fans. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It is time he retired from international duty now. This 2 week break would have been excellent for him.

Isn't he still a starter for Ireland? Very rare to retire whislt still considered a regular. 

Personally I think he is getting undue criticism  so far. A solid pro, breaks up the play. We would have been in trouble without him this season as jedi is the alternative and he has been injured. At 1 mil he is a bargain. Or put it this way he is a fifth of Tishbola who is now at a league one club.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally I think he is getting undue criticism  so far. A solid pro, breaks up the play. We would have been in trouble without him this season as jedi is the alternative and he has been injured. At 1 mil he is a bargain. Or put it this way he is a fifth of Tishbola who is now at a league one club.

Not sure what “solid pro”, means. He’s either good enough or he isn’t. I think he’s been something of a disappointment. He was at best a workman like player for Stoke, sadly he seems to have left his better days there. Slow, often caught in possession, not really clever enough to be playing a central role, slows play up far too much for me. Would hate to see some of our younger talent denied a chance by this, imo, poor signing.

• Like 1

A solid professional is someone who not flashy but gets the job done. A consistent  7 out of 10 player over a long period of time. A professional  who looks after himself who is not caught in bars getting pi*hed on hippy gas. A footballer that for his merits is usually first choice for the large part of his career, proving himself with different managers, clubs and fans. Alan Wright was one. I would put Whelan as one as well. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â