Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Not the best criteria to pick a team though. I prefer talent to be my bench mark. Not sure Whelan has ever merited a 7 for us. The guy may well be someone who would never give his manager cause for concern regarding his behaviour and character, but that doesn’t make him an effective player on the pitch. As I said, I would hate to see any of our talented younger players kept out by someone who has his best days behind him.

• Like 1

I said it before at this level he is really needed for away games only and the tougher home fixtures. Thats when you get the best out of him and will keep his legs fresh

same with Jedinak

I think he's been pretty good (not exclusively good, but I think he's done more well than badly) and I don't think we could play in our current system without him since Jedinak and Lansbury are likely to be caught out too often in a defensive role in a two. 

I'm not against bringing Jedinak back in and moving to a midfield three as injuries and suspensions bite, but we've got a decent thing going right now and Whelan is a part of that. 

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Struggle to blame him when we were clearly overrun all game with zero help from his braindead manager.

I think we have the same problem with Whelan that we do with Jedinak which is that they can't play in a two man midfield anymore.

53 minutes ago, KHV said:

I think we have the same problem with Whelan that we do with Jedinak which is that they can't play in a two man midfield anymore.

and soon we will have the pleasure of them playing a 2 man midfield together ;)

Â