John Terry

Farlz

Daily Mail linking JT with Derby 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7151399/Derby-John-Terry-turn-Frank-Lampard-leaves-Chelsea.html

John Terry is among the candidates to be the next Derby manager as the Championship club prepare for life after Frank Lampard.

Terry has been on the coaching staff at Aston Villa since October, learning the trade and helping Dean Smith’s team beat the Rams to clinch promotion in the play-off final at Wembley.

Terry, 38, has impressed at Villa as he studied the trade and has been a positive influence on young players such as Tammy Abraham and centre-halves Tyrone Mings and Axel Tuanzebe.

He has ambitions to be a manager in his own right and as a former England and Chelsea captain, can offer Derby the profile and Premier League connections they enjoyed with Lampard.

Derby have yet to receive an official approach from Chelsea for Lampard but expect one within the next 48 hours. 

He has two years left on his contract but they do not intend to block an emotional return to Stamford Bridge as long as they are paid compensation and are drawing up plans for a successor.

Lee Bowyer, who could part company with Charlton despite leading them to promotion from League One, is also prominent in their thoughts.

So, too, is John Eustace, who ended his playing career at Derby before becoming a coach on the staff at QPR.

Just now, Villan4Life said:

No chance he will leave us for derby. He doesn't need to yet. Why drop to championship when they have something good going at villa as he seems to have a big role in our backroom team. I think if it was a premier league side maybe. I think he will be going Chelsea anyway as j can see lampard having him as part of his backroom team.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No chance he will leave us for derby. He doesn't need to yet. Why drop to championship when they have something good going at villa as he seems to have a big role in our backroom team. I think if it was a premier league side maybe. I think he will be going Chelsea anyway as j can see lampard having him as part of his backroom team.  

I agree. Think JT is smarter than that. 

Before he joined us, he could have easily gone to another championship team as manager. He has come to us to learn the job in a scenario where he’s part of the team and now he’s getting the premier league experience. Likewise he won’t go with lampard to Chelsea (if that even happens) as he will be working with another inexperienced manager. 

He wont stay forever I fully appreciate that, but now isn’t time. JT wants to be a manager long term and he won’t make the move until it’s right and when he does will be in the upper echelons of managers. He will go far, but not just yet. He has a long career in front of him. He won’t gamble that to manage Derby.

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He will if he's offered the job as manager. 

And risk destroying his career? Last thing he needs is to gi tk a club where his mate managed and did pretty well amd be compared to.

If anything he will either go to a different club or chelsea

Depends on JTs thinking. If he wants to be a manager in his own right, he will take the derby job if offered.

If he wants to use his years as a chelsea player to one day be chelsea manager. He may sit tight until that opportunity arises.

He could also of course return to chelsea as part of lampards coaching team

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends on JTs thinking. If he wants to be a manager in his own right, he will take the derby job if offered.

Not likely. Everything he would do would be compared to Lampard, who overachieved with Derby to some extent. Just not a attractive position to take on for him. In fact I'd argue pretty much any other offer would be more interesting to him.  

I think he would jump at being part of any Chelsea staff though. 

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Like you  say, depends on if he wants it.

I think if he woke up tomorrow and decided he wanted a manager's job this season he'd have more suitors than just Derby County.

I don't think Derby offering him the job will trigger it for JT. I think if he takes the job it's because he's already decided he wants a manager's job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think if he woke up tomorrow and decided he wanted a manager's job this season he'd have more suitors than just Derby County.

I don't think Derby offering him the job will trigger it for JT. I think if he takes the job it's because he's already decided he wants a manager's job.

Exactly. It's not like JT will be sat there thinking blimey, I hadn't realised I could get a managers job if I wanted one. 

• Like 2

The thing is Terrys dream is to manage Chelsea. If it goes tits up at a skint club like derby his dream with be in tatters.

He is better staying here.  I think if Smith left for whatever reason in 2-5 years and jt was still here I wouldn't be surprised if he was appointed manager here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Took the words out my mouth Stevo.

Exactly this.

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No, he won't.

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not sure how you know the inner thoughts of JT.....lets wait and see.

My guess is they wont offer to him.

I don't know his inner thoughts.

But I know JT from seeing him enough over the years that (and as @Stevo985 states) he will have much more suitors when he decides to become a manager than Derby. If they did come knocking like tou originally suggested then I think he would decline.

I'd imagine if JT stays with us and let's say we finish mid table next season, he would then start being touted for any new managerial positions coming from any teams lower. Plus if it all goes tits up for Frank and he gets the sack ahead of schedule then I would think JT would be number 1 candidate to bring in.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bang on.

Personally I think he is in no rush, I think he will take a year in the PL in the background.

He could have walked into a manager job last summer if he wanted to but he is too smart to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Bang on.

Personally I think he is in no rush, I think he will take a year in the PL in the background.

He could have walked into a manager job last summer if he wanted to but he is too smart to do that.

I agree. Terry is very smart and is being very wise with his career not jumping straight in expecting big jobs **cough** yorke **cough**

Â