Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

24 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I posted this a few pages back, but this is a more succinct version of released PL players arranged by club. (Posting on phone so apologies if the formatting is off).

Link to BBC site

Joe Ledley and Willy Caballero would be options for me maybe

48 minutes ago, welshvillan said:

Joe Ledley released .... good experienced centre mid. Welsh continent. I'd be pleased 

Yep, think we would make a great addition too.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously because he's a highly-rated youth prospect who is an important part of the England set-up. Both Toner and Suliman had dismal, atrocious loans last season in which they achieved absolutely nothing at Walsall and Cheltenham respectively. They aren't close to pushing for a first-team place. Suliman at least is younger and has a bit more time on his side, but I really doubt Toner will ever play for us again. 

That's what loan deals are for. Tomori played 9 times for Brighton las the year if you are looking for a player to cover that amount of games we should test our own. Suliman is an u19 international aswell whilst Toner has more PL games than Tomori. They may never be good enough but at the minute they've got potential and you never know until you try them. As I've stated we always write off our kids to our early. The Championship is full of our ex players we never gave a chance to who would do more than a job for us now. If Tomori would come straight into the team I'd be all for it but he'd a a reserve and for that we should use our own. 

• Like 1

The last thing we need is yet another defensive coach or defensive player/coach...

Our main problem has been a lack of creativity and lack of attacking threat throughout the whole team - how much worse off would we have been without Kodjia last season? I've already been disappointed and frustrated with Bruce for not improving that side of things but, because he is obviously sticking around, all we can do is hope that it will be a different story this season. It's absolutely essential that we become more of a threat going forward, we desperately need to up our chance creation and conversion. Improved coaching and quality transfers are needed for that to happen. 

I don't think the Terry deal is going to happen anyway, I think and hope it is just speculation. Nothing wrong with having an opinion on speculation either, would be a bad move imo if there were any truth in it. No more expensive mistakes and liabilities please (we still haven't got rid of our present ones), let's build a side that can improve and progress together - I don't want any short term "fixes" that would most likely damage us more than anything.

Edited by Jas10

Makes sense to look at out of favour or reserve PL players and free transfers.

As mentioned, Ledley seems like a decent target for free. I think we need wingers and attackers, most importantly a GK.

Thoughts on Callum McManaman? Out of favour at WBA, quite rated, could be good at this level? Maybe a loan deal?

Jota would be ideal for us but he has been attracting attention from PL sides so could be a difficult one.

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He played just 14 games last season. He turns 37 this year. 

Is he really going to be up for a 46 game, tough season in the championship? 

The cons far outweigh the pros on this one. I really hope Dr T hasn't let Bruce convince him on the players we need to sign. 

Terry and Whelan. Good lord. 

If age is the factor, why don't you tell this to Brighton fans who just had a 36 year old Bruno (nearly 37) and a 34 year old sod well (nearly 35) help guide them to promotion. 

Add to this a 33 year old (very nearly 34) Glenn Murray and a 33 year old Liam  rosenior. Imagine the reaction on here if we had a squad full of oldies like that!!!!!!!!!

I completely understand the want to buy younger players to improve but experienced heads go a long way to helping these players on. And as much of a dick as he is, imagine young suliman, or bedeau and how they must be feeling about the potential of training with a former top international defender? That's bedeau, the young player Bruce signed by the way. 

Edited by Mjvilla
More elderly players
  • Like 2

John Terry, whatever we think of him as a man, is a born winner. I have no doubt he would be extremely useful at our level, and what's more pass on his experiences to Baker.

Terry would be a big voice in the dressing room, and I think wouldn't like to diminish his player reputation if he was not up to the job.

win-win

• Like 2

Jan Kirchoff and Yaya Sanogo would be the two players available on a free that would suit Villa the most given the way Bruce has us playing. Kirchoff would offer cover in defence along with rotating/replacing Jedinak.

Sanogo is the type of forward suited to chasing the lost causes and would be an ideal partner for Kodjia or Hogan if fit.

Both are relatively young and should have potential resale values.

Cuco Martina would be a great signing at this level but there is no opening at RB.

22 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

If age is the factor, why don't you tell this to Brighton fans who just had a 36 year old Bruno (nearly 37) and a 34 year old sod well (nearly 35) help guide them to promotion. 

Add to this a 33 year old (very nearly 34) Glenn Murray and a 33 year old Liam  rosenior. Imagine the reaction on here if we had a squad full of oldies like that!!!!!!!!!

I completely understand the want to buy younger players to improve but experienced heads go a long way to helping these players on. And as much of a dick as he is, imagine young suliman, or bedeau and how they must be feeling about the potential of training with a former top international defender? That's bedeau, the young player Bruce signed by the way. 

I don't think an older player guarantees to not be good enough. But with his age and only a small amount of games last year I question if he's got a 46 game season in him. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think an older player guarantees to not be good enough. But with his age and only a small amount of games last year I question if he's got a 46 game season in him. 

I doubt he has got a 46 game season in him. That's why we have a squad. With terry helping bakers game, then when baker does play he might have learnt a bit more and improve. I don't see a negative with it if the owner is willing to pay the money for wages.

we then go out and buy a long term defender of a higher calibre than buying a decent defender who may or may not be good enough for the premier league when we are a premier league club next year.

so, where's the long term damage? It's a short term fix for what I presume they want to be a short term problem. I.e.  We get promoted and there is a new, longer term problem of staying up and establishing. 

Seems to me, ant not directed at anyone in particular, but there's so much negativity about anything and everything the club does that it can't do anything right.