Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He was brilliant at Villa Park last season, I'd take him

He's been brilliant since he left Shrewsbury. He was Brentford's player's player of the season last campaign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Jota would be ideal for us but he has been attracting attention from PL sides so could be a difficult one.

I am sure we would knock the creativity out of him

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Anyone think we should go for largely untested players from league one or two or perhaps even lower? I think it could be a worthwhile approach

Most of the teams with limited money will be trying this, as they always will have!

It sounds good, but tbh a real gem down there will be a rare thing, and we cant afford to gamble.

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

You can if you don't spend a lot of money on transfer fees and wages.

I was referring more to time than resources, but they are kind of interlinked in our position!

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I was referring more to time than resources, but they are kind of interlinked in our position!

Sometimes there are simple transfers to make with little or no risk. Daryl Horgan is a perfect example, he was available on a free in January, wages he went for in the end were £8,000pw, he was after doing very well in the Europa league but Preston were the ones to take the risk. He is still no world beater but is a good championship winger and they will get a few million for him soon enough. Andy Boyle also signed from Dundalk and looked comfortable in the few games he played towards the end of the season.

Sean Maguire (22) from Cork City will be a massive success for them too, he has scored pretty much a goal a game for Cork City and has all the attributes to make it at a higher level. I'd be confident that he will outscore Hogan and McCormack combined and he is going for €150,000.

I know this is LOI (probably upper league 2 standard but the bargains are there to be had in comparison to the English lower leagues who command more for players).

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Anyone think we should go for largely untested players from league one or two or perhaps even lower? I think it could be a worthwhile approach

Yes, but not solely, we need to have multiple strategies, we now know we can't buy promotion, so we need to get the balance right between proven quality and experience and people wanting to prove themselves and get noticed, nothing wrong with raw talent once we have a decent backbone which we are already pretty close to having.

Yeah they'll have a point to prove- playing at a higher level with us, they'll want to prove they're capable of doing so: they'll be well fired up. Get them in young too - give them time to develop at our level. You could be on to something here SGC! We could call them young and hungry!!

I mean, we could be getting our next star midfielder from someone like Crewe!! 

• Like 1

If we wanna stay in the Championship then yeh. 

I think we should be signing players that are able to perform at Premier League level.  

Whelan would be a good start.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bin Dunne

No, don't want Dunne back. Legs are shot. Who is this Bin Fella? Is it Liu Bin who currently plays for Beijing Enterprises in the China League One?

Do you think we'd have any chance of signing Willy Caballero now he's been released by Citeh? ...I'm assuming not as other teams will be in for him. But I would take him and I think it would be a good move.