Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

9 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Would be nice to have a player in the setup who had ever won something. Ever. Cant think of any player in our squad who has

Ironically Richards has won both the FA cup and the PL, and Elphick's won the Championship. Both are terrible.

Edited by Supervillan78

I think Terry would be an excellent signing purely from a footballing perspective - I don't like the guy one bit in personal terms but feel he could still offer a lot- reminds me in some ways of Macca ( no where near as good I should add) in as much that his experience and positional sense gets him out of difficult situations and also allows him to snuff out danger- I also think he has pride in his own level of performance -  I would do it for 12 months and then reevaluate 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You realise The Sun have made this story up don't you?

So far Bruce's signings have been:

Hogan, Bree, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, Taylor and Johnstone.

The oldest of whom is 28. And more than half are or were widely regarded as very good young prospects at this level at least. 

But yeah, sure. Because the sun have made up a story about John Terry suddenly Bruce is going to do long term damage because he wants to sign 35 year olds. 

Jesus wept.

Don't worry folks Stevo has spoken so as his word is gospel it's not happening, back to normal folks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Don't worry folks Stevo has spoken so as his word is gospel it's not happening, back to normal folks. 

He's pointed something out and used facts to back it up. Nothing wrong with that but for some reason it seems to upset you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm a big fan of who he signed in janaury. Lansbury is right up there with my favourite players. And yes overall signing a couple of older players doesn't represent the whole of his transfer policy. 

My concern is that firstly failure to get promoted next season is going to damage us and adding expensive wages with no re sale value is going to do even more damage to us with FFP issues. Which ultimately will lead to making promotion even more difficult. 

Now I might be completely wrong and Terry leads us back to the prem but I have serious concerns and doubts about it. 

To me these kind of players suggests Bruce realises after the failure of last season he's running out of time. So he's going after the type of players he doesn't have to coach and develop, it's a desperate move IMO and like I said I think the cons outweigh the pros. 

Hopefully there will be a mix of signings but from the rumours so far I think it is fair to have concerns. 

No offence, but I think your opinion of Bruce has massively clouded your judgement here.

It's June.

On 11/06/2017 at 11:31, HanoiVillan said:

Tomori is obviously in a completely different league to those two. 

Obviously because he plays for Chelsea? We have a habit of not giving our youth chances. We are in the Championship those 2 are easily good enough to give them a chance here and there. Why bring ina loan player to be back up? I don't mind loans if they improve the first team but wh you improve the back up when we've got kids who's may be able to do that given the chance. Tomori may be better at the minute but is he that much better to stop our win development. 

The fixture list isn't even out and already people are getting tetchy.

I have been here long enough to know this happens every year when people have nothing to talk about. Like me and my sister stuck inside on a rainy day as kids with nothing better to other than wind each other up .

;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No offence, but I think your opinion of Bruce has massively clouded your judgement here.

It's June.

Not at all. My judgement is based on the information I currently have. 13th place finish, awful football and two strong links to players over 35. 

When the info changes my opinion also might. Yes it's June but this is what's out there at the moment. 

It could change and I'm open to it doing so. 

• Like 3

As much as I dislike Terry if he came in and brought some form of a winning mentality into the club then great, my reservations however are that Elphick was supposed to do that and failed (whether Elphick and Terry can be classed in the same way is up for debate) and will we get much RoI on the pitch?

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

(whether Elphick and Terry can be classed in the same way is up for debate)

By almost every barometer (some good, some bad) no they can't.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say Terry is guaranteed to be a hit here. He's 37 this year, I'd be amazed if he'd be fit enough for anything more than 60% of our league games. He played 14 games overall last season and looked totally past it. We obviously don't have the players here to carry him, he will be getting exposed, so then it's down to whether he 'still has it' for this level. 

That said, as much as I hate this rancid excuse for a human being I wouldn't in principle be against the signing, as long as it makes business sense for us. Throwing outrageous money at someone who may just not have it any more could be a massive risk. But if he's still up for the task then he'd be a hell of a player and influence at this level. Let's not forget, a 35 year old Dean Whitehead spearheaded Huddersfield's promotion. Brighton's right back is like 100 years old. It is possible to excel at this level at an advanced age.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I look forward to Terry's farewell game when he holds the trophy aloft at Villa Park during our promotion party. He might even bring along some Chelsea players on loan with him. It's not really going to happen but being "linked" with him following a game of golf has at least got us talked about a bit.  

43 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Obviously because he plays for Chelsea? We have a habit of not giving our youth chances. We are in the Championship those 2 are easily good enough to give them a chance here and there. Why bring ina loan player to be back up? I don't mind loans if they improve the first team but wh you improve the back up when we've got kids who's may be able to do that given the chance. Tomori may be better at the minute but is he that much better to stop our win development. 

Obviously because he's a highly-rated youth prospect who is an important part of the England set-up. Both Toner and Suliman had dismal, atrocious loans last season in which they achieved absolutely nothing at Walsall and Cheltenham respectively. They aren't close to pushing for a first-team place. Suliman at least is younger and has a bit more time on his side, but I really doubt Toner will ever play for us again. 

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not at all. My judgement is based on the information I currently have. 13th place finish, awful football and two strong links to players over 35. 

When the info changes my opinion also might. Yes it's June but this is what's out there at the moment. 

It could change and I'm open to it doing so. 

7 players signed aged 28 or younger.

2 players linked over 35.

Yet Bruce is signing players who will cause long term damage to the club.

"the information I currently have" should read "the information that suits me"

• Like 1

Terry 36 £100k wages or thereabouts. Whealen 33 will probs demand £40k plus (considering jedinak is on circa £50k) combined amount for those two circa £7.6 mill per season. Then add to that keeping Gabby around takes you to £10mill per season on x3 players who are way past their prime and whom we don't actually need. Are people really saying that that money couldn't be better spent elsewhere? 

So yeah I can see some fans point of view the damage that could do to us long term. Terry's leadership qualities can't be doubted his fitness can. Whealan is not the type of player who will create chances or solve our midfield conundrum. I'd take him or jefinak not both.  It's a hell of a gamble paying out close to £8 mill on wages on them, especially as the parachute payment reduces drastically at the end of next season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

7 players signed aged 28 or younger.

2 players linked over 35.

Yet Bruce is signing players who will cause long term damage to the club.

"the information I currently have" should read "the information that suits me"

Who he signed in January doesn't concern me. What it looks like happening this summer and next season does, as I say that might change though 

And my worry is Bruce doing long term damage to the club, not the players he signed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Who he signed in January doesn't concern me. What it looks like happening this summer and next season does, as I say that might change though 

You don't think that's an incredibly small sample to be making judgements on?

Before the Whelan and Terry links were you furious because it looked like Bruce wasn't going to make any signings because we weren't linked to anybody?

Maybe it's a better approach to assume two links aren't going to represent our entire summer's business. And if you want an idea of the kind of player Bruce would sign for us, maybe looking at the numerous transfers he's already made would be a better indicator than two links?