Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Agreed.  There is room for bringing someone like Omar Bogle or Sam Gallagher in from relegated Wigan and Blackburn respectively, but that shouldn't be the main thrust of our transfer strategy.  It was regularly said while we were struggling in the Premier League that "if you buy from the Championship you end up in the Championship".  Well the same logic should at least be applied to getting ourselves back into the Premier League.  I don't remember too many people whooping and hollering at the prospect of us getting Chester and Taylor, yet they've been a shining light ever since.  Elphick being the one cautionary tale, that being Premier League isn't in itself a guarantee.

Elphick never proved himself to be able to cut it in the Premier League due to injury. I agree we should be trying to sign players that can handle the top flight.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Elphick never proved himself to be able to cut it in the Premier League due to injury.

Very true.

What's clear is we had players in a our team that were not fit for the premier league or the championship which is why we got relegated and haven't gone up! What amazes me is some of these players have been bought by Premier League teams! Makes you wonder. 

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What's clear is we had players in a our team that were not fit for the premier league or the championship which is why we got relegated and haven't gone up! What amazes me is some of these players have been bought by Premier League teams! Makes you wonder. 

I disagree that it's clear we bought players not fit for premier league or championship.  I think their records at previous clubs proved they are quite capable.  

But you are right that it's baffling that so many players bought or pursued by Premier League teams can all become relatively ineffective the minute they hit bodymoor heath.  So, I would argue that what's clear is that our manager has not been able to figure out a way to use them as effectively as their previous clubs did.  I hope he will with more time and another window (although I'm skeptical).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He scored goals for fun in premier league imagine what he could do here at this level? Definitely would approve of this signing. Get it done Brucie 

Well he's scored around 10 goals a season (all comp) for Stoke, even less these last few years. I wouldn't exactly call that "scoring for fun", unless the comparison is Gabby,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Well he's scored around 10 goals a season (all comp) for Stoke, even less these last few years. I wouldn't exactly call that "scoring for fun", unless the comparison is Gabby,

I think it's worth remembering that he's not an out and out striker, I'm take him here, I think he'd be great here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

You are aware he has been mainly adopted as a attacking midfielder?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He scored goals for fun in premier league imagine what he could do here at this level? Definitely would approve of this signing. Get it done Brucie 

Not exactly scored goals for fun in the Premier League, and he's 34 in September.  He could be a useful signing, but evidence suggests he's very much in decline.

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 18.18.59.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Sam Gallagher, good touch for a big man, you can see he has had a decent education at Southampton despite joining them quite late in his youth. Very decent, good all round player. I have been impressed when I have watched him this season.

Yep, thought he looked very good when we played Blackburn at villa park earlier on. If he is available on loan or permanent, he'd be someone I'd be happy signing. 

Further to my previous post regarding buying fringe players from Premier League teams; the opposite of that is what Middlesbrough did in taking Guzan, Traore and Gestede from us - look where that got 'Boro.

• Like 1

Exactly. We need to find gems that fit into our style of play (whatever that is). Not these fringe players or 35 year olds who may give us half a good season. We have a new scouting network. Let's use it

• Like 3

I have this terrible feeling Bruce will go for Elmohamady from Hull. He's an absolute terrible player with no pace, no crossing ability and no skills. 

I have no source but Bruce bought him at Sunderland and Hull. 

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

At this level I agree. Get it done Brucie. Him and bassong on free transfers would be superb acquisitions in my view

Bassong is complete shite, I don't know what you see in him. 

• Like 1

Really hope we don't build a QPR style team with highly paid player who are either over the hill, unmotivated or have terrible attitude. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Bassong is complete shite, I don't know what you see in him. 

I disagree i think he has power and dangerous at set pieces. Be good signing on a free. He is only 27 as well I think. Be good at this level

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree i think he has power and dangerous at set pieces. Be good signing on a free. He is only 27 as well I think. Be good at this level

He's 30, and in a career spanning 279 league games he's scored the grand total of 7 goals, so he's not *that* dangerous. He made eight league starts for Norwich this season, and they didn't even think he was worth trying to get a transfer fee for. Every time I've seen him in the last two or three seasons he's been shite and I think you're rating the player he was about seven years ago. 

We need to be improving our squad this summer. If we sign Bassong, all it will mean is that in twelve months' time, we'll be posting in 'Transfer Speculation Summer 2018' begging Sunderland to take this new bomb squad member off our hands. The aim is to find centre backs as good as Chester, not slightly better than Micah Richards. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

I have this terrible feeling Bruce will go for Elmohamady from Hull. He's an absolute terrible player with no pace, no crossing ability and no skills. 

I have no source but Bruce bought him at Sunderland and Hull. 

I can't see it as we have just bought Bree who looks decent and have Hutton (who Bruce praises a lot) for another year. 

Chuck in the returning de laet, we have enough personnel that can play RB. 

(Seb Larsson on the other hand....:unsure:)

• Like 1

On 2017-5-8 at 08:09, wilko154 said:

These are all must's for me this summer

GK - Potentially Johnstone (he has ended the season well) but a more experienced head could well be required. Also a reserve keeper is needed unless we continue with Bunn.

DM - Desperately needed, we look weaker when Jedinak is not available and it will allow CH & HL to push on and do their job further forward. Has Barry still got the legs for it?

LW & RW - One of each, our creative outlets are almost non existent which is easily seen from the lack of goals. Brighton & Newcastle were both well stocked with wingers and look how they got on this season... Quality wingers are a must with Adomah & Green then pushing for starting places against them.

I'm dead set against sweeping changes again this summer but these are the signings i think would agree with.  With maybe a backup cb for baker.

• Like 1