Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well my 'player I've wanted for the past 4 or 5 years' is Mohamed Diamé.  I think he's a class player every time I've seen him.  Very under-rated.   He's 29 now. Maybe we can actually get him this summer if Newcastle plan on 'strengthening' their midfield.  Although he did make 37 league appearances this season (27 starts).

Yes at this level he's a beast, even in the premier league he's a pretty decent player, he's the sort of signing we need to make, if possible. 

11 hours ago, KSV said:

Exactly. We need to find gems that fit into our style of play (whatever that is). Not these fringe players or 35 year olds who may give us half a good season. We have a new scouting network. Let's use it

And this for me is the worry. A well organised team with a clear plan where every player (starting or sub) knows their role can go a long way. I do credit Bruce with getting organised in defense but from there on it is missing.  

• Like 1

For me, we need a centre half tower with Chester, a midfielder who can keep the ball, get us playing and take some risks with his passing and attempt to drive us on, we need some pace down the wings and I think were set for a tilt at it............

Names, not sure what the gaffer is thinking and who is attainable............. Id go for players like Scott Dann if available, get James Collins back....... Look at players like Huddlestone, Max Gradel, Stewart Downing etc...........

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Well my 'player I've wanted for the past 4 or 5 years' is Mohamed Diamé.  I think he's a class player every time I've seen him.  Very under-rated.   He's 29 now. Maybe we can actually get him this summer if Newcastle plan on 'strengthening' their midfield.  Although he did make 37 league appearances this season (27 starts).

Newcastle would be bonkers to get rid.  Him and Shelvey work very well together in the centre of the park.

38 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

For me, we need a centre half tower with Chester, a midfielder who can keep the ball, get us playing and take some risks with his passing and attempt to drive us on, we need some pace down the wings and I think were set for a tilt at it............

Names, not sure what the gaffer is thinking and who is attainable............. Id go for players like Scott Dann if available, get James Collins back....... Look at players like Huddlestone, Max Gradel, Stewart Downing etc...........

James Collins please to God no. Definitely don't want him back. Shame we missed on Johansson  (I think his name the Leeds cb they signed) he looks really impressive every time I've seen him

Think Barry is a good shout in a player/coach role. I think as a coach he would be demanding (not sure what I base that on, but I still believe it), so not sure if the current set-up would welcome that! As a player, he could cover midfield and defense. He never had pace, so he never had it to lose but his brain should still work! 
I know it's a different position, but Sheringham was still doing a good job in the PL into his 40s.

8 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Collins would be a really good signing in my view.

I'm not his biggest fan but he fits the mold of what we are missing in central defence and can see him being a force at this level.

I think Collins did well here previously and formed a good partnership with Dunne. We had one of the best defensive records in the Prem in 09/10 and they were a big reason for that. He has also gone on to hold down a place at West Ham since.  I am not sure if at 34 he’d be a better option than Baker though. Maybe as a back up and an experienced head that can come in for when Baker inevitably gets injured then he’d be a good shout.

I would expect Richards will move on and maybe Elphick will want to go where he can be first choice again so we will need cover in that area.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I can't see it as we have just bought Bree who looks decent and have Hutton (who Bruce praises a lot) for another year. 

Chuck in the returning de laet, we have enough personnel that can play RB. 

(Seb Larsson on the other hand....:unsure:)

He's a right winger who sometimes plays right back. I think Bruce will definitely buy a right winger to give Adomah competition. Really hope its not going to be Elmohamady :(

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think Collins did well here previously and formed a good partnership with Dunne. We had one of the best defensive records in the Prem in 09/10 and they were a big reason for that. He has also gone on to hold down a place at West Ham since.  I am not sure if at 34 he’d be a better option than Baker though. Maybe as a back up and an experienced head that can come in for when Baker inevitably gets injured then he’d be a good shout.

I would expect Richards will move on and maybe Elphick will want to go where he can be first choice again so we will need cover in that area.

I've always rated him to an extent. I think he's improved as he's got older.

At 34 it's always a risk but for 1 year and a shot at getting out of the Championship I think it's worth it. Every player comes with a risk attached.

If he was here I would be starting him ahead of Baker. Neither Baker or Chester fill me with a lot of confidence to be honest.

3 hours ago, AJ said:

For goalie, I would put a shout in for Mathew Ryan. 25 yo, plays for Valencia, quite good, and shouldn't break Tony's bank.

Good shout ! I've read good things about him and he was very highly rated. Good alternative to Johnstone. I remember our previous Aussie goalkeeper with great affection still. If we signed him and he was half as good as Bozzie then we'd have a cracking keeper on our hands. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

He's a right winger who sometimes plays right back. I think Bruce will definitely buy a right winger to give Adomah competition. Really hope its not going to be Elmohamady :(

I thought he was more of a right back/wing back.

think he's too defensive to be an orthodox winger per we (so will fit in perfectly with Bruce's anti-attack tactics ;) )

I personally don't think we will be in for him though. 

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Really think we need to move on from the past - namely past/old players. None of them are good or young enough to return and make a lasting impact, apart from unattainable players such as Benteke, Delph, Milner etc. No 30+ players who are long past their best and would just be looking for a big final payoff. We need to change...

We need to look and move forwards as a club and our transfers should reflect that. Enough of paying exorbitant fees and wages for ineffectual signings. Only players of genuine quality and who could actually be effective, not just in the short term either, would be worth forking out for. 

I would love for us to be building some semblance of a side with lasting potential, that could progress and move forwards/evolve, rather than continue with patch ups, mass layoffs, inferior replacements etc.  Having to constantly try to rework and restructure the side every window or season will not get us anywhere...

I think it's important that the majority of players coming in to our club be of a good age and able to develop and stick with us for a while. I guess it goes back to trying to find an identity again, we haven't had much to be proud of for a while now and not enough to identify with the club. Some genuine excitement, enthusiasm and genuine cause for optimism would be more than welcome and long overdue...

Great post mate. I agree with you but I have one exception, and that is Gareth Barry. He is a player that knows the club inside out, he is an icon for some of the younger lads coming through and I think he would give them someone to look up to. I think he would transform our midfield. He would also, in my opinion, make a great coach when he does hang up his boots.

• Like 1

So apparently Sunderland has hired Rob Mackenzie, who worked as Leicesters former head of technical scouting for 4 years and found among others Mahrez and helped assembled the title winning squad.

He then worked a similar role at Spurs last season and this season at Derby.

They've also snagged some guy from Man City called Simon Wilson and they will be handling recruitment in the summer as Moyes want's an completely new side next season.

Know very little about these guys, but I wonder if we are as pro-active or if we are confident of having all the competence we need in house?

20 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Great post mate. I agree with you but I have one exception, and that is Gareth Barry. He is a player that knows the club inside out, he is an icon for some of the younger lads coming through and I think he would give them someone to look up to. I think he would transform our midfield. He would also, in my opinion, make a great coach when he does hang up his boots.

The thing to establish is whether he would even want to come here and under what circumstances e.g. wages he would want, what role etc.

I wouldn't mind if the wages were reasonable and he wanted to stay with the club and be involved in coaching - we don't even know what his skills are in that sense though and what he would bring. Has he completed his "badges", does he have any reputation in that sense? I wouldn't be against it but I don't think it's realistic and not sure why he would want to come here. The truth is, he is at a much better club (at least for now) with better prospects and they would probably offer him a role if he showed some potential in that sense. I just don't know what the draw would be for him to come here, from his perspective. Maybe our thoughts on him are based on nostalgia and not really thinking of the effect and whether it would really be worthwhile. I don't think we should be taking too many risks tbh and I suppose would I kind of view it like that - I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

As an outright player, he wouldn't contribute for long enough imo. We already have Jedinak as an overage player who won't last long. If we sign old players for a season or two, just as a kind of "stop gap", it probably prevents or stops other, younger, fitter and maybe more talented players with more potential and more to contribute in the long term. I'd rather us look at better signings as I outlined earlier, let's build a team that move forwards together and become a bit of a unit.

Personally, I would like us to discard most, if not all, of the players that have been associated with our past and especially those that have been involved in our decline. Players like Gabby, Hutton, Bacuna and more should be moved on. January wasn't a bad window and I was hoping that we were beginning to build a "new" side which I think is exactly what we need. The only one of these players (other than youngsters, inc Grealish, who would benefit from better players and role models) that I think we should retain, and who deserves it, is Baker.

Edited by Jas10

It's the new players, like Lansbury and Hourihane, who should get a chance to prove themselves and make a contribution. I just think the others need to be moved out and not have an effect on these newer, better players frankly.

• Like 1