Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 07:29, villarocker said:

If you're talking Morrissey (Smiths) songs that suit Villa surely it has to be Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now! 

I suppose you could adapt songs to suit us, like: My Club In A Coma? Although, there's some songs that don't need touching - Panic! Stop me if you've heard this one before, How soon is now? I started something I couldn't finish.

A few of those seem to relate to our last few managers! 

Some clubs are bigger than others...

• Like 4

Shaun Maloney on a free anyone?

also Willy Caballero and Adrian's contracts are up this summer and both warm up the pine at their respective clubs.  Could be worth a shout for one of them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skills said:

Shaun Maloney on a free anyone?

also Willy Caballero and Adrian's contracts are up this summer and both warm up the pine at their respective clubs.  Could be worth a shout for one of them

Shaun would soon become homesick again and I think Adrian will have more tempting offers and would be loathe to drop down a division. We might have a better shout with Caballero (a slithering snake could help sell the club to him perhaps) ;). I would rather we looked to tie up the best of the available loan deals now rather than have less choice later on.   

7 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Defoe has a release clause in his contract apparently. Can't see many Premier League teams taking a punt on a nearly 35-year old striker but would love him at Villa.

So far west jambon and crystal palace have confirmed an interest. 

He'd go to either of them over us.  

This is a pipe dream and not going to happen. Move along.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Defoe has a release clause in his contract apparently. Can't see many Premier League teams taking a punt on a nearly 35-year old striker but would love him at Villa.

Bournemouth want him. He'll go there I reckon.

11 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Guaranteed goals at that level. He will have plenty of offers for a short term deal.

Wouldn't be surprised for us to go after Diame at Newcastle again. He's a more mobile version of Jedinak, has worked with Bruce before and probably an area Newcastle will look to improve on in the prem

8 hours ago, villarocker said:

We need to start tempting fringe players from clubs above us instead of taking players from shit teams. Jedinak and Chester came from the Premier League to us and you can see the quality in them as they've been two of our best players this season. Even Taylor stands out since his arrival in January. 

The best Villa teams of the last 20+ years included signings from decent clubs and I think that's what we should aim to do this summer. If it means paying top wages to 4 or 5 Premier League fringe players then so be it. You only have to look at the influence Gayle, Richie and Shelvey have had on Newcastle to see how much of a difference it can make. 

This is spot on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villarocker said:

We need to start tempting fringe players from clubs above us instead of taking players from shit teams. Jedinak and Chester came from the Premier League to us and you can see the quality in them as they've been two of our best players this season. Even Taylor stands out since his arrival in January. 

The best Villa teams of the last 20+ years included signings from decent clubs and I think that's what we should aim to do this summer. If it means paying top wages to 4 or 5 Premier League fringe players then so be it. You only have to look at the influence Gayle, Richie and Shelvey have had on Newcastle to see how much of a difference it can make. 

Couldn't agree more. 

We need a few more of them. As you say no surprise those players have been stand out ones. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Let's throw HUGE money at Defoe and Barry. 

Not sure we should throw huge money, both would be excellent but it's better for us that they come here because they want to play for the club, rather than just because they can make serious money at a crap level. I already feel that there's a mercenary mentality here so we don't want to perpetuate it.

• Like 2