Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

im definately not completely sold but I'd rather him here than at one of our rivals!

This is a big deciding factor for me. For whatever reason, Terry seems to be interested in a move to a Championship team. Maybe he wants more of a challenge than MLS/China, and presumably he doesn't want to grace the Premier League in a shirt that isn't Chelsea's.

With this in mind, you'd assume that all of the clubs in the Championship that are able to offer him a package, would be willing to do so, and are probably on alert to see if the current offers collapse. I'd much rather he came to us than played against us in a Wolves/ sha/ Sheffield Wednesday shirt!

It seems that both Harry and Steve think he could do a job in the Championship given we along with Small Heath are joint favourites to sign him. I would back their combined judgement concerning Terry's ability and will to perform at this level at his advanced years.   

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sne said:

I'd agree about this in principle if it wasn't for the fact that he's 36 and only lasted the full 90 minutes something like 3 times last season.  Granted in a better team in a better league.

But the Championship is supposed to be faster and tougher than almost every other league in the world (it isn't actually) and Terry will be expected to play 46 games and be the one who carries us through the last 10 minutes?

I see a problem there. The Terry from even just a few years back would absolutely been able to do this, he did it for Chelsea. But it's not that Terry we are signing. 

The other part thou I fully agree on, organization, set pieces, leadership and passing is where he would bring a lot.

Yes I understand your valid point of view. Would've been handy to bring him on for last 20-30 mins to defend a lead though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

It seems that both Harry and Steve think he could do a job in the Championship given we along with Small Heath are joint favourites to sign him. I would back their combined judgement concerning Terry's ability and will to perform at this level at his advanced years.   

If I had to pick two people to judge a players ability to still perform, I don't think one of them would be Harry Redknapp. That clapped out expensive QPR team he assembled being one of many cases to look at. 

I'm fairly sure, both teams are interested because the owners want someone who is seen as a "name" over in China. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This is a big deciding factor for me. For whatever reason, Terry seems to be interested in a move to a Championship team. Maybe he wants more of a challenge than MLS/China, and presumably he doesn't want to grace the Premier League in a shirt that isn't Chelsea's.

With this in mind, you'd assume that all of the clubs in the Championship that are able to offer him a package, would be willing to do so, and are probably on alert to see if the current offers collapse. I'd much rather he came to us than played against us in a Wolves/ sha/ Sheffield Wednesday shirt!

well he'd better only sign a one year deal with us then B)

• Like 4

Blimey, linked with James McCarthy from Everton... I think that would be great if it was to happen. £20 mill though!!?? Loan could be possible though.

Mail Link

Aston Villa face stiff competition to land James McCarthy from Everton especially as the Toffees now want more than £20million for the midfielder.

Villa’s only real hope of landing the Irishman is if they can agree a loan deal with the Premier League side and, at this stage, that looks unlikely.

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Blimey, linked with James McCarthy from Everton... I think that would be great if it was to happen. £20 mill though!!?? Loan could be possible though.

Mail Link

Agreed, that is what I call a link (albeit a very cheeky and highly unlikely one)! ;) Can't really see a loan deal happening, the player wanting to come to us, his not having the chance to move to clubs in his present division or us having the money to do a deal of this sort. Otherwise bring it on...  

Edited by John
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

If Zlatan ca still cut it in the premiership at going on 40, I'm sure Terry can do it in the Championship, also look at Joey Barton, he got Burnley promoted a year ago, he was very good our level for his age and Terry is ten times the player he is/was.

I can't tell if this is genuine or not :( 

• Like 1

I like the idea of John Terry, but he only made 14 appearances last year (and not all full games). Now he's another year older. How many games would we be expecting him to play in for the kind of wages he's going to likely be demanding? 

This smacks of the Pires signing to me. A cool little trivia fact in the future but ultimately pointless at the time.

One question about John Terry. 

A lot is being made of his fitness and being able to last 90 minutes in 3 games last season. However, was that because of fitness or managers choice? Don't forget Chelsea do have other younger options at centre back so it may just be a preference. Was he injured at all last season? Not saying he is at full fitness but there may be more too it rather than an assumption he is unfit because he only played 3 full games last season.  

My main concern is that he is 36/37 this year. The likelihood is that he is coming as back up/squad/player-coach -£30/40k is a lot for a player for that role in the championship. There are cheaper options surely? I would prefer that money going into other areas of the squad that are needed *cough* GOALKEEPER *cough* rather trying to shore up an already decent position. Like said before, I think if he was to drop down to the Championship, I would rather he was with us than a rival. 

• Like 1

Is the defence decent?

Chester is good i think we all agree

Baker is ok but will miss at least 25% of games through injury.

That leaves Rochards and Elphick as our senior backups who were both woeful last term and i think most believe should leave.

So 2 senior defenders is a strong position? I think you need to rethink that one...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Terry may come in as a player-coach.

The Ideal scenario would be him helping us to promotion this season, whilst grooming our younger ones to take over in the Premier League and then becoming a full time defensive coach for us etc.

8 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Is the defence decent?

Chester is good i think we all agree

Baker is ok but will miss at least 25% of games through injury.

That leaves Rochards and Elphick as our senior backups who were both woeful last term and i think most believe should leave.

So 2 senior defenders is a strong position? I think you need to rethink that one...

Got a feeling Terry and Alex Bruce will sign. We will need depth in CB if we are to play a back 3. Probably why Samba is also being kept around. 

• Like 2

Even if we are after Terry (despite my negative feelings and reservations), let's first at least offload the crap on our hands already. It would be a risk in the sense that, if it doesn't work out or prove worthwhile, it would be yet another problem to deal with and extra load to our present burden and shitpile of overpaid, inactive, disruptive, and generally useless employees (I'd rather not afford them the privilege of being called football players when they have contributed jack all). Let's clear the decks of the shit before we take any further risks, we can't keep taking huge financial hits either.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Even if we are after Terry (despite my negative feelings and reservations), let's first at least offload the crap on our hands already. It would be a risk in the sense that, if it doesn't work out or prove worthwhile, it would be yet another problem to deal with and extra load to our present burden and shitpile of overpaid, inactive, disruptive, and generally useless employees (I'd rather not afford them the privilege of being called football players when they have contributed jack all). Let's clear the decks of the shit before we take any further risks, we can't keep taking huge financial hits either.

Problem is he has other offers on the table so we need to move quick or lose out - rumours his old coach Paul clement wants him at Swansea too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Mail Link

He is only 26 as well. This would be a fantastic signing for us. McCarthy is a decent player who would do very well in the championship. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He is only 26 as well. This would be a fantastic signing for us. McCarthy is a decent player who would do very well in the championship. 

I think he will get a few offers to stay in the premiership - would be a good signing but can't see it .

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

I like the idea of John Terry, but he only made 14 appearances last year (and not all full games). Now he's another year older. How many games would we be expecting him to play in for the kind of wages he's going to likely be demanding? 

This smacks of the Pires signing to me. A cool little trivia fact in the future but ultimately pointless at the time.

It has to be seen in context though.  And this is not me putting my full weight behind the Terry signing.  Terry played 14 games, not because he couldn't play more games, but because he was behind Dave, Cahill & Luiz in the pecking order at a title-winning side who employed a back 3.  14 is not his limit.  He was a sub.  Now I know he won't play 46 games if he comes here, but he'll play a lot more than 14.

• Like 1