Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

IMO John Terry will not have deteriorated overnight to the point where he is worse than Elphick or Richards! He is head and shoulders above them (in more ways than one), scores goals, has vast experience and is an excellent defender with leadership skills. The cost of having him does not concern me as Tony will be providing the finances, not me. If anybody is concerned about signing big name players and paying them silly wages then I suggest you use this to get used to it as Tonys plan has to involve us doing exactly that if we are to compete in Europe a few years from now! On the flip side, if he signs for Blues then I hope that along with a few others he contributes towards a wage bill that cripples them in the same way Harry dropped Pompey and QPR in the S***

He managed 14 appearances last season for Chelsea out of which I beleive he only last 90 minutes in 3 of them.........

Edited by mykeyb
spelling

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Firstly of all the signings Bruce made in January I am not sure there are many at this point could be classified as being a success (This doesnt mean that I think any are bad) 

I was refering more to his record elsewhere we he has a tendency to sign at least 2 or 3 players who look awful at the time and end up being far far worse

So Terry, a premier league, fa cup, champions league winner is a signing that 'looks awful'. Despite him being a complete bellend, he will have looked after himself and he offers more than just his on pitch stuff. I'm not shouting from the rooftops regarding this signing, but look a little deeper than a 36 year old signing and you can see why it would be done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

So Terry, a premier league, fa cup, champions league winner is a signing that 'looks awful'. Despite him being a complete bellend, he will have looked after himself and he offers more than just his on pitch stuff. I'm not shouting from the rooftops regarding this signing, but look a little deeper than a 36 year old signing and you can see why it would be done.

As above if we sign him how many games do you realistically think he would play next season?

You would assume that Elphick will be gone, which then gives us Terry & Baker who you wouldnt bet your house on playing 30 games a season and Chester, with a fall back on the bearded aussie or the youngster we bought.

The reason he didn't start as many games for Chelsea last season as he wasn't Chelsea class anymore, his fitness is of no real concern............ is he good enough for a mid table division 2 team....... 150% definitely............

• Like 4

Just now, mykeyb said:

How many games do you think he will play if we sign him?

No idea bud. I would assume that not all of his no-shows last season were down to his fitness but possibly some of them being down to the manager preferring other players (from a far superior squad to ours) in his position. At 36 though I would hazard a guess at around 18-20 games. In an ideal world that will be enough to cover for Baker when injured so we dont have to see Elphick or Richards at the back.

When God signed for us a lot of people wrote him off as past it due to his knees being shot but he read the game so well that it didnt matter.

All will become clear soon enough bud, this time next year we will know whether it was worth it or not (providing we sign him of course) UTV!

45 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Look at the the list of player Steve signed while at Sunderland,

Look at Terrys stats for last season, realistically how many games do you think we will get out of him playing saturday then mid-week? It is exactly the sort of signing I expect Rednapp to make and thought Bruce would be a little more cirumspect and as yet its nothing but a rumour. I am sick of these over the hill pros coming here for one last pay day and giving precious little in return.

I couldn't care less who he signed for Sunderland, we're not them. He has already signed players with us, 7 of them, all varying degrees of ability, age, resale value, etc., I see nothing in his signings for us so far that would indicate that Terry would create a pattern of any sort. 

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I couldn't care less who he signed for Sunderland, we're not them. He has already signed players with us, 7 of them, all varying degrees of ability, age, resale value, etc., I see nothing in his signings for us so far that would indicate that Terry would create a pattern of any sort. 

Agreed, people throw Sunderland about a lot but in his time there he was the only manager to get them a top 10 finish in the last 16 years and was sacked when they were clear of the relegation zone - Bruce at Sunderland was similar to Mcleish  at villa in that many fans were against him from the start due to his love of Newcastle .

So not only has he 4 promotions but he also took sunderland and Wigan to decent positions in the Premiership .

i trust Bruce to bring in the right players and the vast majority of his signings in January were decent signings - now they should be settled and ready to hit the ground running come August .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Interesting viewpoints, Martin O'Neil did well here but when he left we had a lot of overpaid players who didnt produce enough something that was repeated at his other clubs. Rednapp took Portsmouth to an FA Cup Final trophy......and destroyed the club.

I really want to see Bruce get us promoted and if that means seeing John Terry holding the championship trophy aloft I will take that every day of the week, I find iut difficult to reconcile the view that he is a good manager with our performances last season. His signings this summer will not be sexy I get that too. We need a Des Bremner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Will Terry improve us? Yes. That is all. 

Not quite as simple IMO.

If it's a 2 year deal for the reported £100k/w he wanted from Bournemouth then that £10m could and should be invested much smarter IMO.

Then again it might be a one year deal for much less and it might turn out to be a great signing of a motivated hearth on his sleeve leader that we really need and lack.

Until I know the details of any potential deal I remain on the fence.

• Like 1

The only thing i'm slightly concerned about is the rumoured wages that we're going to be paying him. If this signing means we won't be able to strengthen elsewhere, then I don't see the point. 

• Like 1

I may be the only person on here old enough to remember this but .. when we were in the old Third Division we signed a centre half from Coventry called George Curtis. He was probably past his best for Cov but (IMO) he made a huge difference to our leaky defence at the time. Surely there is a possibility Terry could do a similar job ?

I think George invented the expression about taking no prisoners !!!!

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

The only thing i'm slightly concerned about is the rumoured wages that we're going to be paying him. If this signing means we won't be able to strengthen elsewhere, then I don't see the point. 

If we do sell elphick for £3m then that along with his wages saved would go a long way to paying for terry .

i think there will be money for 3 or 4 others and seem a few could be sold to add to the coffers.

Just now, veloman said:

I may be the only person on here old enough to remember this but .. when we were in the old Third Division we signed a centre half from Coventry called George Curtis. He was probably past his best for Cov but (IMO) he made a huge difference to our leaky defence at the time. Surely there is a possibility Terry could do a similar job ?

They called him the tank - giant of a man !

He's old, and past it. Will be like Pires, only with added obnoxious arseholery added in to the bargain. This is not conducive to building a team to get us promoted. Still, it hasn't happened yet, so no point getting too worried just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

IMO John Terry will not have deteriorated overnight to the point where he is worse than Elphick or Richards! He is head and shoulders above them (in more ways than one), scores goals, has vast experience and is an excellent defender with leadership skills. The cost of having him does not concern me as Tony will be providing the finances, not me. If anybody is concerned about signing big name players and paying them silly wages then I suggest you use this to get used to it as Tonys plan has to involve us doing exactly that if we are to compete in Europe a few years from now! On the flip side, if he signs for Blues then I hope that along with a few others he contributes towards a wage bill that cripples them in the same way Harry dropped Pompey and QPR in the S***

No not over night.. but the last two seasons.. yes he has. He barely played last year.. didnt know he only finished 3 full games. Thats even more frightening. Baker is injury prone. I got a feeling Bruce will sign Terry and his son Alex.