Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

He's like having a manager.......on the pitch.

For those that don't want him ......don't worry he might go to Blues.

It might be like missing out on Robbie Savage.....another one who ( in some eyes) was not good enough for us......the mind boggles.

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

if the decision were up to me, I would pass on Terry.

And sign another player who you have no idea, if they would be good or not.

you could end up passing on everybody.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He's like having a manager.......on the pitch.

For those that don't want him ......don't worry he might go to Blues.

It might be like missing out on Robbie Savage.....another one who ( in some eyes) was not good enough for us......the mind boggles.

He'll be in the dugout soon enough. Bruce will have a large knife in his back... unless JT has a fancy for auld ones now!

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

He'll be in the dugout soon enough. Bruce will have a large knife in his back... unless JT has a fancy for auld ones now!

If Bruce has a large knife in his back it will be from a small minority of fans

sometimes i think he would be a good signing, and then sometimes i'll be reading an article about our interest with an accompanying picture of his smug punchable face and im just like nah, dont want him

3 hours ago, TRO said:

If he does sign, and it turns out like the last world class centre half we nicked from United.......I will be a happy man.

Funnily enough, Terry is the exact same age to the tee as McGrath was that when we let him go to Derby..  when he was past his best, and didn't help Derby get promoted

In fact Derby loaned him out to Sheffield United as they realised he was not the same player as at Villa, you know seeing as he turned 37 that December just like Terry will be turning 37 this December.

Not saying the same will happen again, but its very hard to play at this age, especially when youve already achieved everything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I wouldn't get hung up on FFP, the doc has money and accountants who will know how to get money into the club to bypass any hurdles. 

Also if the club aren't worried about it then surely we shouldn't be? 

The club are worried about it though given we've told SB to move out all the out on loan players.

If we weren't then we could go out and feasible spend another 50m but that simply isn't sustainable the longer we stay out of the premier league.

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I wouldn't get hung up on FFP, the doc has money and accountants who will know how to get money into the club to bypass any hurdles. 

Also if the club aren't worried about it then surely we shouldn't be? 

You clearly missed Keith Wyness' interview.. he said we will only be making 3-4 signings this summer due to constraints (with Terrys £100k/w more likely 3). He's clearly thinking about FFP, so if you don't want to get hung up on it then everything's going to be OK I suppose. 

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

And sign another player who you have no idea, if they would be good or not.

you could end up passing on everybody.

Seriously?   Thanks for making absolutely zero assumptions about what I think.

I think he's a dirty cheat.  I think he's too old.  I thought we might have learned a lesson about signing experienced, winning, but old defenders.  Apparently not all of us.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You clearly missed Keith Wyness' interview.. he said we will only be making 3-4 signings this summer due to constraints (with Terrys £100k/w more likely 3). He's clearly thinking about FFP, so if you don't want to get hung up on it then everything's going to be OK I suppose. 

Would it not be due to squad size? Makes sense to want to get rid of a few players that don't want to be here.

i maybe completely naive here but I just can't see us being worried about FFP.

• Like 1

I am very much against signing JT. He will be 37 in december and he made 6 starts in the PL last season, 6! It's a simple reason to why players retire when 35+, they can't keep up with the speed and they get more injury prone. I want someone we can build the team around, someone who is reliable and will play most of the games and give us stability and continuity. I want another Chester, not another Lescott. And I would avoid someone who has been involved in so many scandals as JT has.

(The only positive thing I can come to think of is that I like singing the JT song with the Pet Shop Boys go west tune) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Interesting viewpoints, Martin O'Neil did well here but when he left we had a lot of overpaid players who didnt produce enough something that was repeated at his other clubs. Rednapp took Portsmouth to an FA Cup Final trophy......and destroyed the club.

I really want to see Bruce get us promoted and if that means seeing John Terry holding the championship trophy aloft I will take that every day of the week, I find iut difficult to reconcile the view that he is a good manager with our performances last season. His signings this summer will not be sexy I get that too. We need a Des Bremner.

What was your point when mentioning O'Neill?

It seems like you were leaning towards hinting that Bruce could do the same to us, but most of his signings are fairly young with decent sell on value and supposedly not on stupid wages for a club in our position.

Also, I saw you ask before who we could get instead of Terry's (apparent) £100k a week.... Well O'Neill spunked those wages on Habib Beye, Nicky Shorey and Nigel Reo-Coker. I'd take a 36-year-old Terry over those 3!

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Funnily enough, Terry is the exact same age to the tee as McGrath was that when we let him go to Derby..  when he was past his best, and didn't help Derby get promoted

In fact Derby loaned him out to Sheffield United as they realised he was not the same player as at Villa, you know seeing as he turned 37 that December just like Terry will be turning 37 this December.

Not saying the same will happen again, but its very hard to play at this age, especially when youve already achieved everything.

It's a good and well remembered example to heed, however I'd say the modern day physiotherapy, training methods, sports science, dieticians, club doctors etc etc that today's players have the benefit of probably extends your career by a few more years than when McGrath was closing out his career.  Plus you could argue that the booze may have caught up to him by then.