Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

58 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If we get rid of Richards & Gabby that's Terry's wages right there. Just saying. **** paying those two for doing **** all any longer 

Trouble with that theory is that you need a club willing to take them!

They will both be here until their contracts finish

• Like 2

Do some here think we are in the Champions league? Its the Championship my friends, we aren't that good ffs and I think the fact we are even rumoured to be signing Terry is a step in the right direction, I don't care who he fingers in the process of getting us promoted!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

It's a good and well remembered example to heed, however I'd say the modern day physiotherapy, training methods, sports science, dieticians, club doctors etc etc that today's players have the benefit of probably extends your career by a few more years than when McGrath was closing out his career.  Plus you could argue that the booze may have caught up to him by then.

Its a good point, but i don't think that allows players to play for that much longer than they already did when it comes to age catching up with them. We dont see many more players playing into their 40s. Maybe an extra season, but certainly doesn't add 3-4 years. Players are probably fitter and healthier in their peak though

On a similar note medical advances have done more more prolonging careers - you wouldn't see cases these days of Brian Little or Gary Shaw being forced to retire in their 20s anymore. I don't recall John Terry ever having a long time out with a bad injury though.

15 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Do some here think we are in the Champions league? Its the Championship my friends, we aren't that good ffs and I think the fact we are even rumoured to be signing Terry is a step in the right direction, I don't care who he fingers in the process of getting us promoted!

I don't care about his personality off the field, he was a quality player in his prime.. unfortunately that was a long time ago. Pires and Joe Cole were younger but it was obvious to see they were finished - neither of them came for a last pay day, just like Terry, in their own mind they thought they could still do it and all 3 were extremely good players in their prime.

I just don't think Terry will improve us that much at the age he is now, especially when you consider its an area that we are probably the strongest in. I'm concerned if we sign him then we wont be able to sign players that we actually need - because its no secret we have smaller 'sell to buy' budget this summer. If we didn't know this already then of course i'd be well up for this signing, but i want promotion and bringing in John Terry might mean we cant buy a quality winger that we so desperately need. 

Each year the parachute payments get significantly less, so our wages need to be considerably less than they were last year, so its not just a case of his wages being covered by 3 departures

Also, I think Terry could play more games than some are suggesting. He was injured for 10 games last season, but only 6 the previous season, and none the season before that (according to the normally-accurate Transfermarkt). Baker should be capable of deputizing for the odd Wednesday fixture if needed, with Elphick and Richards hopefully seldom required.

• Like 1

Its just alot of money for a guy that may not play many games or could be passed it. I am glad i saw that instagram video of him training. He does look fit still and is working hard. So his professionalism could rub off on the rest of the squad. Whether he makes much impact on the field.. i do not know. Thats where the doubt is.. 100k is alot of money for a bit part player. I hope he plays 30+.. just cant see it. Even if he plays 25 games and plays well.. i guess it would still be quite successful.. especially if we did go up. 

Whether we want him or not.. it looks like Bruce does and hes the man in charge. All we can do is support the team. 

Not worth worrying about if we don't sign him. If we do sign him then he's chose us, so we should get behind him like any other one of our players. No use complaining before he's even kicked a ball for us yet. If at the end of the season he's only managed a few games or his standards really have dropped, then it's a case of a gamble that hasn't payed off. I'd rather sign him than someone whose just another championship defender not good enough to play in the prem. Let's remember that Chelsea were still debating not long ago whether to give him another years contract, so he can't be that bad. Certainly leaps and bounds better than any other mid table championship teams defenders.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

sometimes i think he would be a good signing, and then sometimes i'll be reading an article about our interest with an accompanying picture of his smug punchable face and im just like nah, dont want him

Imagine that face in a Villa shirt after winning yet another match. 

Ask those saying we could spend the big amount of money elsewhere, can you please post monetry details of our offer? I'm sure Wyness and co tell everybody what we're offering players. 

Apparently we've just been linked with Mubarak Wakaso from Panathinaikos. He's 26 and plays for Ghana but I've not heard of him. 

Link to Birmingham Mail

Aston Villa are one of a number of clubs interested in Ghana winger Mubarak Wakaso, according to reports.

The Panathinaikos winger, who ended last season on loan at Granada, is expected to move this summer and is said to be on Villa’s radar, say reports in Spain.

Swansea and Reading have also been linked with the 26-year-old wideman who has 12 goals in 49 appearances for his national side.

If we do sign imagine the fun we can have when he is subbed: 'Wakaso on, Wakaso off, ... Daniel-San.' Can't wait.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 4

If Zlatan ca still cut it in the premiership at going on 40, I'm sure Terry can do it in the Championship, also look at Joey Barton, he got Burnley promoted a year ago, he was very good our level for his age and Terry is ten times the player he is/was.

• Like 2

I am not sure about this at all BUT I do not think he would be one of those sit around for a last payday. Whatever his personality away from the pitch, on it he has always been 100% and not an ounce less. 

I also think the Cole and Berger comparisons are unfair. Midfield is a dynamic role demanding constant movement off the ball and driving or space making runs none of which are demanded in the middle of defence. 

At a certain Paul McGrath showed the ability to read the game is far more important. Yes we sold him when he was the same age but by then we was older AND had shot knees. 

I mainly worry that he will stay fit and if generally the money can be spent better. 

I am sure if he comes here and plays a large proportion of the season in fitness he will definitely be a huge asset in this league. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

I agree with this. If JT was on the pitch when we were conceding all of those last 10 minute goals earlier in the season it wouldnt have happened, he simply wouldnt allow it to happen that often. We will defo improve defending corners as well because he can organise a defence. His experience will be a huge asset and the defenders around him will learn quite a bit from him.

This for me too!

With him on the pitch we suddenly become better organised and mentally stronger.

Whatever his flaws or age related decline this won't leave him;  Neither I'd suggest his will to win, the pay day thing doesn't ring right to me.

im definately not completely sold but I'd rather him here than at one of our rivals!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

I agree with this. If JT was on the pitch when we were conceding all of those last 10 minute goals earlier in the season it wouldnt have happened, he simply wouldnt allow it to happen that often. We will defo improve defending corners as well because he can organise a defence. His experience will be a huge asset and the defenders around him will learn quite a bit from him.

I'd agree about this in principle if it wasn't for the fact that he's 36 and only lasted the full 90 minutes something like 3 times last season.  Granted in a better team in a better league.

But the Championship is supposed to be faster and tougher than almost every other league in the world (it isn't actually) and Terry will be expected to play 46 games and be the one who carries us through the last 10 minutes?

I see a problem there. The Terry from even just a few years back would absolutely been able to do this, he did it for Chelsea. But it's not that Terry we are signing. 

The other part thou I fully agree on, organization, set pieces, leadership and passing is where he would bring a lot.

• Like 1