London attack March 2017

sne

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Why do they absolutely never catch these bastards alive?

Surely it's as easy to shoot them in the leg?  Don't give them the glory in death they crave.

Make him stare at a blank wall for the rest of his life after poking his bullet holes a bit for info first.

The killers of Lee Rigby were caught.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It will be difficult of course but if this gives us a 1% chance of making the country safer and saving lives surely it's worth investing our taxes on?

If we'd saved 1% of the 5 people who died yesterday, there would still be 5 people dead.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No but then we don't use capital punishment and remove people's heads in public as a display of control. Although Katie Hopkins makes it tempting at times....

We are fortunate to live in a free, democratic and liberal society. We have to embrace that and be grateful for it. We also need to protect it in the face of creeping state surveillance of everyone (except MP's)  although I differ from some on where I draw that particular boundary.

Yes we need to tackle extremism and those who preach hate (irrespective of their colour or religion) and take advantage of the freedoms most of us take for granted.

Your post implies that it is the Saudi's that have things right not us and that very clearly isn't the case. Perhaps you didn't mean that and you were just pointing out the imbalance of tolerance between the two countries, in which case I agree only I think that's a positive about Britain not a negative.

Good post, though MPs are spied on too.

MPs’ communications are not protected from surveillance by intelligence agencies, a court has ruled.

The surprise ruling from the Investigative Powers Tribunal  (IPT) found that MPs and other parliamentarians were not protected by the so-called Wilson Doctrine.

The tribunal's decision came in response to a claim brought by Green Party MP Caroline Lucas, Baroness Jenny Jones and former MP George Galloway, that revelations from Edward Snowden showed that MPs’ communications were being spied on.

Plus recent events showing the Met Police illegally hacking politicians e mails etc.

6 hours ago, will87 said:

What are they classing as a terrorist attack though, throwing a brick through a window? Letting the air out of someones tires? According to those reports there were 103 'terrorist attacks' in the UK in 2015, I doubt many of them even made the local news.

Of the 151 deaths in Europe as a result of terrorism that year, Jihadism accounted for 150 of them, it will be a similar story for 2016. It's the nature of the attacks that makes Jihadism the biggest threat to Europe as far as terrorism goes.

Almost all the attacks were some kind of IED/explosive.

The point was his assertion that 99% of attacks jihadist and not what the biggest threat is per se.

I believe the definition of terrorism is politically motivated violence. So technically if you threw a brick through your MP's window because you disagree with their politics, you'd technically be a terrorist. 

This is just tragic stuff.

A similar thing happened here 2 months ago when a car was driven through Melbourne's city mall, killing 6 people, including a 10 year old girl and a 3 month baby in a pram that was being wheeled by his mother. Over 30 people were injured as well. The difference was that the person responsible wasn't a terrorist, but just a nutjob.

I cant find exactly, but has it been officially confirmed as a terrorist attack?

Horrible thing to have happened, and condolences to all the families.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I guess it depends on how you define terrorism.  One man's terrorism is another man's war, and vice versa.

My point was to subtly illustrate that not all terrorism is derived from Islam, and if people on the far right of the political spectrum believe that Muslims should be kicked out and banned or whatever, you could take your "statistic" and say that as far as the UK is concerned 99% of terrorism is committed by Irish Christians.

Rewind back as recently as the mid-late 90s and it was ALL ABOUT Irish terrorism as far as the UK was concerned.  I've covered this point several times before on VT, but compare yesterday with the pub bombings in Birmingham, or the bombings in Manchester, Warrington, the Tory conference in Brighton.

But yeah, brown people.  So...

Yes and a man has just died who may have been involved in a lot of those IRA attacks. but its the past now and we have the peace agreement so they are not a threat anymore unlike Islamic terrorists.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes and a man has just died who may have been involved in a lot of those IRA attacks. but its the past now and we have the peace agreement so they are not a threat anymore unlike Islamic terrorists.

This completely misses the point of NV's post...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Why do they absolutely never catch these bastards alive?

Surely it's as easy to shoot them in the leg?  Don't give them the glory in death they crave.

Make him stare at a blank wall for the rest of his life after poking his bullet holes a bit for info first.

I dunno I'd prefer them dead. In prison they'd probably get released after a few years. Plus whilst in there they would be attempting to convert others.

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This completely misses the point of NV's post...

Also there was a bomb attack targeting the police in Northern Ireland this week. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I dunno I'd prefer them dead. In prison they'd probably get released after a few years. Plus whilst in there they would be attempting to convert others.

The Rigby killers got 40 years iirc. That's the longest prison sentence I can recall seeing for a single act. it is not just a few years. Perhaps it should be 'until they die there' but it certainly isnt a few years. Not including those who serve consecutive sentences of course.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I guess it depends on how you define terrorism.  One man's terrorism is another man's war, and vice versa.

My point was to subtly illustrate that not all terrorism is derived from Islam, and if people on the far right of the political spectrum believe that Muslims should be kicked out and banned or whatever, you could take your "statistic" and say that as far as the UK is concerned 99% of terrorism is committed by Irish Christians.

Rewind back as recently as the mid-late 90s and it was ALL ABOUT Irish terrorism as far as the UK was concerned.  I've covered this point several times before on VT, but compare yesterday with the pub bombings in Birmingham, or the bombings in Manchester, Warrington, the Tory conference in Brighton.

But yeah, brown people.  So...

Skin colour has nothing to do with anything as far as im concerned, great post till that sly dig at anyone who questions Islam.

The west is no place for such archaic cults (Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity in all its forms, Jedi) and the arguments about X amount of attacks worldwide are in the name of Y religion is a moot point as at the heart of the problem is religion in general, the, quite frankly, playground like stance they take when criticised and the medias unmitigated left wing support of them (I've no doubt the BBC will blame Hyundai before religion for yesterday's attack). 

Please don't however shout people down as racist for not liking a particular religion, it's not cool and is an easy cop out used by people who don't really have a valid argument. 

Amen.

Â