London attack March 2017

sne

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

But was it a schizophrenic episode? Or PTSD from his time in prison. Or depression. Or any of the other (huge) spectrum of disorders.

Well clearly I don't know but you've missed my point. Even if there were mental health issues, and I personally would say there has to be for anyone to do this sort of thing, I don't think that should be considered a motivation.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Well clearly I don't know but you've missed my point. Even if there were mental health issues, and I personally would say there has to be for anyone to do this sort of thing, I don't think that should be considered a motivation.

I don't understand the distinction you are making. Pete said there were only two possible motives. I said that that discounts mental health issues. Some mental health issues mean that he may have acted without any motivation, or at least no rational motivation.

The distinction is I don't think mental Heath should be considered a motive for a crime.

It may well be a contributing factor, like many other things but not a motive.

For me the very definition of motive is at odds with the the characteristics of mental health.

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The distinction is I don't think mental Heath should be considered a motive for a crime.

It may well be a contributing factor, like many other things but not a motive.

For me the very definition of motive is at odds with the the characteristics of mental health.

The dictionary definition of "motive" is "a reason for doing something". All the forms of mental disorders I listed (and others) could provide a "reason for doing something". I think we are just discussing definitions here, so I'll leave it at this point as we're OT.

The definition of motive when I looked included;

reason, motivation, motivating force, rational, grounds, cause, basis.... purpose and intention... amongst others.

So I don't personally see how a mental health issue alone can be considered a motivation for this crime.

If you disagree fair enough, there isn't anything else to add in any case.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The definition of motive when I looked included;

reason, motivation, motivating force, rational, grounds, cause, basis.... purpose and intention... amongst others.

ˈməʊtɪv/
noun
  1. 1.
    a reason for doing something.
    "police were unable to establish a motive for his murder"
    synonyms:

reason, motivation, motivating force, rationale, grounds, cause, basis, occasion, thinking, the whys and wherefores, object, purpose, intention, design; 

Yes, that's the full definition which I partially quoted. Not sure how that counters what I posted.

Intesting that it also says 'Police were unable to  establish a motive'. I don't recal that sentence ever ending 'Police were unable to establish a motive but the guy had a history of mental health issues so that is likely to have been the motive.

12 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes, that's the full definition which I partially quoted. Not sure how that counters what I posted.

Intesting that it also says 'Police were unable to  establish a motive'. I don't recal that sentence ever ending 'Police were unable to establish a motive but the guy had a history of mental health issues so that is likely to have been the motive.

I agree that I've never read that sentence either. I'm contending Pete's list of possible motives and saying that it wasn't complete.

If you'd like a discussion about the concept of mens rea and how it pertains to culpability in contemporary law then let's open a new thread.

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I don't understand the distinction you are making. Pete said there were only two possible motives

No I didn't I said

4 hours ago, blandy said:

There are two probable, possible motives - Islamic terror or er, a muslim copying Islamic terror...which makes it to most people islamic terror.

It doesn't need media narratives really to lead people to that view.

There are any number of less probable, more improbable, possible motives. But realistically, while it is possible that other motives existed, the most probable motive is religious Isis inspired Islamic delusion. Anyone who kills random people is to an extent mentally not right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's been reported that he was going up to 76MPH.

So as well as murdering people, he was speeding. Unbelievable.

Amazed he had enough clear road in front of him to reach such a speed in central London.

All those arrested in connection with the Westminster terror attack have now been released with no further action, the Met police have said.

The last suspect in custody, a 30-year-old man, arrested in Birmingham on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts, was released on Saturday.

Eleven other people were previously arrested and released with no further action.

...more on link

Beeb

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Bloke with a knife has been tasered and arrested outside Parliament, no one hurt. Met Police keeping an open mind ref' terrorism/motive. 

hmmmm, ill be keeping a close eye on the news before leaving the office today. Im not near parliament but right next to oxford circus which is where i get the tube from and one of the areas where attacks would be more likely due to numbers

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Hospital on BBC iPlayer. They were doing a documentary in st Mary's hospital as news of the attack came through and filmed the whole response. If you haven't seen it yet, it's absolutely vital viewing. Unreal to watch. Brings back all the emotions of that day but with so much pride and awe in the way the emergency services responded, as well as the reactions of the victims. Two French lads in particular are fantastic young kids. 

Cant recommend it highly enough.

edit...the first person into a&e was the attacker. Must have been such a surreal moment. Safe to say I'm unbelievably glad they weren't having to waste precious time on him once the other patients arrived.

Edited by This Could Be Rotterdam
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2017 at 15:16, Awol said:

Bloke with a knife has been tasered and arrested outside Parliament, no one hurt. Met Police keeping an open mind ref' terrorism/motive. 

George Osbourne having the knives out for May was more literal than I thought....

• Like 1

Â