London attack March 2017

sne

3 hours ago, Arj Guy said:

Well done. 95% plus probably around 99% of terrorism is committed by jihadists. But never mind we'll ignore the statistics and just pull up this. Brilliant 

Up until 2014, Islamic terrorism made up around 1% of all terrorist attacks in the EU according to Europol report data. In 2015 that number spiked to 5% with all the attacks that year. I imagine that number will be even higher for 2016 when those figures are released in a few months. But yeah, that isn't anywhere near the figure you pulled out of your ass. In fact, the reverse is true. Here are a few of the reports if you're interested. If you're not willing to sift through 60 odd pages, scroll down to the tables and do the math yourself.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 4

What are they classing as a terrorist attack though, throwing a brick through a window? Letting the air out of someones tires? According to those reports there were 103 'terrorist attacks' in the UK in 2015, I doubt many of them even made the local news.

Of the 151 deaths in Europe as a result of terrorism that year, Jihadism accounted for 150 of them, it will be a similar story for 2016. It's the nature of the attacks that makes Jihadism the biggest threat to Europe as far as terrorism goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, will87 said:

What are they classing as a terrorist attack though, throwing a brick through a window? Letting the air out of someones tires? According to those reports there were 103 'terrorist attacks' in the UK in 2015, I doubt many of them even made the local news.

Of the 151 deaths in Europe as a result of terrorism that year, Jihadism accounted for 150 of them, it will be a similar story for 2016. It's the nature of the attacks that makes Jihadism the biggest threat to Europe as far as terrorism goes.

I'd agree with this. 

Just because there's the same issue, you don't just treat them the same when the outcomes are hugely different. 

It'd be like punishing two bullies at school the same. One of them keeps making fun of other children, the other is putting kids in to the ICU every week. They're both bullies, but there's absolutely no chance you treat them the same, because the outcome dictates what you do. 

You can't tar everyone of Islam with the same brush, of course. But you equally have to be careful about stopping getting to the root of the problem because you might offend a few people. It's clear there's a link between Islam and terrorism. What % of EU nationals are Muslim, quite low I imagine? And yet what % of deaths in terror attacks are caused by those of Islamic faith? It'd be nonsense to suggest the discrepancies in those numbers are pure coincidence. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who are 'us'?

Surely anyone who isn't a terrorist but is a potential victim is an 'us', including a Muslim person?

Of course. I'm well aware that Muslims are infact the biggest victims of Islamic terrorism but I just thought his post was a bit one sided.

What pisses me off on here is how people play down the problems that Islam creates around the world. They are more concerned with what trump is doing. I'm probably guilty of being a bit too anti Islam but I definitely haven't got my head up my arse when it comes to seeing the death and destruction that this religion is causing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

What pisses me off on here is how people play down the problems that Islam creates around the world. They are more concerned with what trump is doing. I'm probably guilty of being a bit too anti Islam but I definitely haven't got my head up my arse when it comes to seeing the death and destruction that this religion is causing. 

You're not anti-Islam though, are you RV? If all these terror attacks were carried out by Buddhists, would you still be calling Islam the problem or would you be calling Buddhism the problem? I am confident enough to say you'd be saying these things about Buddhism, not Islam. You're simply seeing what's in front of you. 

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

You're not anti-Islam though, are you RV? If all these terror attacks were carried out by Buddhists, would you still be calling Islam the problem or would you be calling Buddhism the problem? I am confident enough to say you'd be saying these things about Buddhism, not Islam. You're simply seeing what's in front of you. 

Correct. 

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree with the sentiments re the cuts but more Police on the streets won't stop this sort of incident.

Depends on the situation.  It is difficult in these kind of circumstances as how can you control a madman from.ploughing into people. But if there is such  big police presence everywhere then they may think again.

This scumbag... I better keep my emotions in tact as just makes me sick to my stomach 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Depends on the situation.  It is difficult in these kind of circumstances as how can you control a madman from.ploughing into people. But if there is such  big police presence everywhere then they may think again.

This scumbag... I better keep my emotions in tact as just makes me sick to my stomach 

But you were talking about this situation.

How on earth do you have a big Police presence everywhere? As you say you simply can't stop someone in a car ploughing into people.

Besides which Police aren't really a deterrent to someone willing and/or eager to take their lives. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They won't. In many cases these guys are prepared to die, seeing a bunch of coppers is just more to take with you.

Besides which, I'm not sure I want to live on a country with police very visibly everywhere. Police state starts to come to mind.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

How on earth do you have a big Police presence everywhere? As you say you simply can't stop someone in a car ploughing into people.

Besides which Police aren't really a deterrent to someone willing and/or eager to take their lives. 

What do you suggest the country does then trent? It will be difficult of course but if this gives us a 1% chance of making the country safer and saving lives surely it's worth investing our taxes on?

Â