London attack March 2017

sne

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

On the whole I agree with you, but it's also important to consider the part I've highlighted in bold.

My dig wasn't aimed at anyone who questions Islam, but is aimed at anyone who only questions Islam.  As you rightly say, any religion brings issues - but then similarly there are plenty of non-religious folks who are unutterable bell ends as well.

Certainly from what I've seen on Twitter (yeah, I know) lots of people make comments about how Muslims should respect that Britain is a Christian country or "go home".  Is it?  I'm not one.  I probably only know about 4 people under the age of 65 who regularly attend church.

The final part of your post asks me not to shout people down as racist for not liking a particular religion.  I disagree, and I won't stop.  It's fine to not like religion as a whole, I think it's pretty sketchy to start suggesting some religions are ok and some aren't.

I'm not suggesting some are sketchy though, I'm suggesting they're all sketchy as f**k my man and if that makes me a racist then hood me up and chuck us a noose!

Religion and race are poles apart but for some reason go hand in hand together, this is my concern when the race card is played and people get cowed by it, not this atheist, they're all stark raving mad in my book!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I'm not suggesting some are sketchy though, I'm suggesting they're all sketchy as f**k my man and if that makes me a racist then hood me up and chuck us a noose!

Religion and race are poles apart but for some reason go hand in hand together, this is my concern when the race card is played and people get cowed by it, not this atheist, they're all stark raving mad in my book!

Nah - I'm not talking about you.  I'm clear on what your stance is, and to a certain extent I agree.  You're spared the noose!

What or who I feel is sketchy are those who will tell you Islam is the only bad religion.  That's when I feel it starts to get "racist" (in the absence of a word which does justice to a fear or hatred of a certain religion).  All religions are somewhat bonkers.

We could ban Muslims, send them all "home", etc, but this sort of thing is cyclical.  There's always an "enemy" - the Vikings, the Normans, the Germans, the Irish, the Muslims.  I don't think the behaviour of a couple of hundred Muslims in the last few years quite puts them on a par with the Vikings or Nazi Germany though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Nah - I'm not talking about you.  I'm clear on what your stance is, and to a certain extent I agree.  You're spared the noose!

What or who I feel is sketchy are those who will tell you Islam is the only bad religion.  That's when I feel it starts to get "racist" (in the absence of a word which does justice to a fear or hatred of a certain religion).  All religions are somewhat bonkers.

We could ban Muslims, send them all "home", etc, but this sort of thing is cyclical.  There's always an "enemy" - the Vikings, the Normans, the Germans, the Irish, the Muslims.  I don't think the behaviour of a couple of hundred Muslims in the last few years quite puts them on a par with the Vikings or Nazi Germany though!

I think the irony of the whole debate is you intimated that all Muslims are brown skinned, which in itself is a little racist!

Pedantic I know but couldn't help myself.

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

I tell you what I don't like. Dickheads. Dickheads of all races, religions, genders/cabbages, if that's what they're identifying as that day. Dickheads really piss me off but they're everywhere, in every walk of life.

Yup, I don't like yobbish football fans, who chant about past atrocities & wreck places.  I don't like people who use conditions they may/may not have to get things they don't deserve.  I don't like large businesses and the people who work in them, who are in it for themselves and step over their colleagues to get higher.  I don't like terrorists.  I don't like people who are aggressive in their nature and go out on a Friday night to get into a punch up.  I don't like lazy, entitled people, with or without money.  I don't like show offs and "look what I have's".  I don't like lairs, cheaters or haters or anyone else who will interrupt me living an easy and happy life.

• Like 4

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Yup, I don't like yobbish football fans, who chant about past atrocities & wreck places.  I don't like people who use conditions they may/may not have to get things they don't deserve.  I don't like large businesses and the people who work in them, who are in it for themselves and step over their colleagues to get higher.  I don't like terrorists.  I don't like people who are aggressive in their nature and go out on a Friday night to get into a punch up.  I don't like lazy, entitled people, with or without money.  I don't like show offs and "look what I have's".  I don't like lairs, cheaters or haters or anyone else who will interrupt me living an easy and happy life.

I was going to give a list as well but I released it started to sound like the opposite of this.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes and a man has just died who may have been involved in a lot of those IRA attacks. but its the past now and we have the peace agreement so they are not a threat anymore unlike Islamic terrorists.

Between 1970 and 2005, the IRA are widely reported to have been responsible for around 19,000 IEDs - that's one every 17 hours, for 35 years.

There was an explosive attack on police in Northern Ireland THIS WEEK.

Three bombs have been successfully detonated by Islamic terrorists in the UK, also back in 2005.

I'm not suggesting Islamic terrorism isn't a threat, it is.  I'm not up for people suggesting it's the only threat we face, or that it's yet anywhere near the level we experienced in the past.

10 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I think the irony of the whole debate is you intimated that all Muslims are brown skinned, which in itself is a little racist!

Pedantic I know but couldn't help myself.

I think if they were all white skinned the attitudes towards them might be a little different...

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I think if they were all white skinned the attitudes towards them might be a little different...

I want to piggyback onto this with a sincere question.

When the IRA were committing acts of terror on a regular basis, were all Irish people as a whole treated with the same vitriolic hatred and suspicion as all Muslims are?

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

When the IRA were committing acts of terror on a regular basis, were all Irish people as a whole treated with the same vitriolic hatred and suspicion as all Muslims are?

they were if you worked for Scotland yard :) 

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not old enough to know, thankfully.  At least not in the peak of the troubles.  I know my parents ran a Post Office in Birmingham during the 70s, and a guy came in with a parcel addressed to Sinn Fein so they called the police to come and check it out.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Looking back there was a semblance of suspicion and hatred (to a degree) towards anyone with an Irish name let alone accent.

My first job out of school in the mid 80s was as a chain lad on the roads and I remember my dad warning me about fraternising "with Micks", my dad was a div so I did and they turned out to be the nicest, most generous lads I've ever worked but they came in for some vicious racism at times. These things are cyclic and next year it'll be the Scottish.

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Again, i wasnt around at the time but my nan and grandad came over to Birmingham from Ireland in the 60s and my mom vividly recalls as a kid at that time having to go to the butchers in place of my nan because of her thick irish accent and the abuse and threats she received. As an aside, my nan was caught up in the Birmingham bombings and was haunted by the memories of that day. 

So apparently the Belgian police has just stopped a guy trying to drive a car full speed on to a crowded shopping street in Antwerp. 

Edit: Police say they found at least one firearm and knives in the car. They guy is a French citizen.

Edited by sne

Â