Chris Samba

midian

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

I guess its plan "b"?

Fair enough, its not very imaginative but does it have to be if it works? He did cause a fair bit of concern to the Hull defence whilst he was on......

It's not plan B. It's plan Z.

There was 2 minutes to go and we had one sub left. It was a throw of the dice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No.

You are a better poster than that Stevo!

If you bring on a lump of a bloke in a hail mary last minute substitution of course everything will go through him!

Just now, Nigel said:

You are a better poster than that Stevo!

If you bring on a lump of a bloke in a hail mary last minute substitution of course everything will go through him!

I disagree. 

I don't think having a lump of a bloke is an excuse for every single player to just hit him with a hoof at every opportunity.

You should still have the presence of mind to work the ball into good areas and then deliver a decent ball. My example with Green was one of those. he was in miles of space, much further up the pitch, where he could have delivered an actual cross rather than just a straight long ball.

It's too easy for lazy or tired players to use it as an easy ball.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree. 

I don't think having a lump of a bloke is an excuse for every single player to just hit him with a hoof at every opportunity.

You should still have the presence of mind to work the ball into good areas and then deliver a decent ball. My example with Green was one of those. he was in miles of space, much further up the pitch, where he could have delivered an actual cross rather than just a straight long ball.

It's too easy for lazy or tired players to use it as an easy ball.

I understand what you are saying, and  had the substitution been made on the 80th minute instead of the 90th Id agree.

However as it was there would be little point having him on the pitch up there had he not been hit with every ball we had left. He touched the ball about 3 times as it was.

IMO it was worth the gamble, nothing else other than basic route 1 football was going to get us anywhere near the goal so regularly. 

It was something completely different.

• Like 1

Throwing Samba on and lumping rainmaking high balls to the heavens was a mercifully short comedy that caused a few laughs as well as a lot of head shaking. To read that Bruce now thinks that maybe he should have brought him on earlier in this role, and to say that he believes it's a "tactic" we could work on for the future, has me sat here with my head in my hands!

Please can we call in the men in white coats, it would be the kindest thing to do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So Bruce has actually said he should have made the sub earlier and it's something we will see again. 

Wow. 

I know, who would have though he would think earlier subs would be a good idea :)

I despair reading his latest comments to be honest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where has he said that?

Exact quotes 

“Maybe I should have put him on a bit earlier with those crosses coming in.

"It's something for us to consider and work on."

Of all the things to work on and this is one of them. Good lord. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know, who would have though he would think earlier subs would be a good idea :)

What must Davis think? And what's happened to promoting youth. 

Samba getting those valuable minutes where Davis could develop is a joke. 

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't know which is worse bringing samba on or thinking it's a good idea and we should have done it earlier. 

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder how many goals he has from open play?

My guess is not a lot.

Then again he probably doesn't have many games as a striker under his belt.

Well Bruce is talking about a run at Blackburn years ago where he played for a few games and mentioned a game against arsenal which was about 6 years ago. 

Absolutely ridiculous that he's justifying it and claiming it's now a real option we will work on. 

• Like 1

Didn't Allardyce play him up front quite a few times?

Just having a quick look at his stats and he seems to score a goal every 10 games on average, Really surprising just how little he has played for the past few years so even though he is getting on a bit. Since he left blackburn in 2012 he has only played 70 odd games

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

I don't know which is worse bringing samba on or thinking it's a good idea and we should have done it earlier. 

Oops probably the fact that we HAD to bring someone with presence  on......but once we did and we stopped conceding ground, i actually though he should have done that sooner.

tin hat time

Edited by TRO

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oops probably the fact that we HAD to bring someone with presence  on......but once we did and we stopped conceding ground, i actually though he should have done that sooner.

tin hat time

We only had to bring someone with presence on if the aim is to hit long balls. 

He's got a £12 million striker he took off, a £12 million striker going on loan to a rival and two promising kids who don't seem to have squad numbers. 

He's made serious mistakes if Samba being brought on early is the only way we can stop conceding ground. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We only had to bring someone with presence on if the aim is to hit long balls. 

He's got a £12 million striker he took off, a £12 million striker going on loan to a rival and two promising kids who don't seem to have squad numbers. 

He's made serious mistakes if Samba being brought on early is the only way we can stop conceding ground. 

He will make many more decisions fans won't agree with it during the season. If we are within reach of the top 2 after 10 games I don't care if he comes on plays up front himself. If we are not then he probably has to go. 

Â