Chris Samba

midian

17 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Gabby scored (luxury for Villa) - Hogan did his (in Villa shirt) usual nothing.

You must have missed those  chances he unluckily missed.

Gabby was not a offensive threat. Well taken goal but other than that he really added nithing going forward 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You must have missed those  chances he unluckily missed.

Gabby was not a offensive threat. Well taken goal but other than that he really added nithing going forward 

I guess I did... still, a goal warrants staying on, I think.

My problem with Samba coming on as he did was then every player just immediately lumps it to him.

There was a moment yesterday where I think Taylor had the ball on the left, but about the halfway line. Green overlapped him and was in a great position where Taylor could have fed him and green could have crossed from a much better position. But instead taylor just immediately lumped it forward to Samba.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My problem with Samba coming on as he did was then every player just immediately lumps it to him.

There was a moment yesterday where I think Taylor had the ball on the left, but about the halfway line. Green overlapped him and was in a great position where Taylor could have fed him and green could have crossed from a much better position. But instead taylor just immediately lumped it forward to Samba.

Agreed but how many times have we seen that down the years, it happened all the time with Benteke.

Its poor players/players taking easy option/players short of confidence and/or ideas and ultimately coaching.

But when it's a CB thrown up there there is a green light to do it, a direction to even.

Taylor didn't appear to see Green. The EASIER option would have been to lay it out wide to Green, but Taylor went for the Hollywood ball to Samba. Nothing to do with confidence/coaching/taking the easy route - it was poor awareness and decision making by Taylor. 

Green was about ten/fifteen yards inside their area and would have still had a lot to do anyway. 

Doing my Sunday chill roaming and don't know who changed his wiki, but this did make laugh :-

Christopher Samba (born 28 March 1984), known as Christopher Samba, is a professional footballer who plays as a forward super sub for Championship club Aston Villa, where he made his only appearance so far as a substitute target man and changed the game for the 240 seconds he was on the pitch. His naturally power makes him the tank that frightens all defences with some naming him the "African tank ".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Samba

Edited by Kbdrum88
  • Like 2

I don't mind so much the fact Samba was bought on to play such an attacking role. Initially it was having success, it was something a bit unexpected and gave Hull a type of play that had been absent from the rest of the game, it was something they had to adjust to and made them a bit nervy,

And it was playing to someone's strengths, Samba is good at winning the ball in the air, he was going up for these 50.50s and winning the vast majority of them and his headers were finding team mates or at least pushing the ball further in to Hull's half.

The problems for me were that it was deployed far too late in the game so the chance of it being successful was limited by the short amount of time we were playing like that.

Also, it became the only tactic. So it replaced rather than added. Once Hull adjusted they dealt with it as it became the only thing they had to defend against.

Again, similar to something I've just posted in the Hogan thread. You bring a big guy on, he's winning headers, he's having the better of the defence, the opposition are focused on him which creates space but Hogan was the one replaced so wasn't there to capitalise on it.

Saying that, Green or Onomah or any other could have picked up on it but again it seemed like Samba was heading the ball and players were getting it at their feet and looking to pass to someone else's feet rather than take a risk and have a shot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Its not that bizare Samba coming on up front , i recall him playing up front for Blackburn on several occasions

But we took off a striker for a midfielder, then a midfielder for Samba to play up top with 3 mins left. It was a case of keep throwing the dice - instead of any plan. 

If anybody would pick up a knocked down ball, it'd be Hogan.

Edited by Dick
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 8pints said:

Also, it became the only tactic. So it replaced rather than added. Once Hull adjusted they dealt with it as it became the only thing they had to defend against.

This was my problem with it.

If we'd kept playing as we had been and got some crosses in it could have been more successful.

• Like 1

We looked good when Green came on. We had space on the left and we could have had more chances and kept Hogan on. It didn't need Samba on. If anything bring Hourihane on for his set piece ability. 

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:04, Stevo985 said:

Well that's the point of bringing him on in that position isn't it?

17 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Its not that bizare Samba coming on up front , i recall him playing up front for Blackburn on several occasions

How many years ago was that? One of the worst decisions I've ever seen from a Villa manager. Spend six weeks having pre-season then just chuck-on a centre-back up top after 88 mins of a "fresh start". Regressive, depressing b0ll0cks.

It just sends out a message of pure desperation and it's not just the fans who will think that. I don't think many players will think highly of it either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

How many years ago was that? One of the worst decisions I've ever seen from a Villa manager. Spend six weeks having pre-season then just chuck-on a centre-back up top after 88 mins of a "fresh start". Regressive, depressing b0ll0cks.

It just sends out a message of pure desperation and it's not just the fans who will think that. I don't think many players will think highly of it either.

I'm with you 100%.

I know people will say it wasn't for long, it might've 'worked', other people do it etc.

But for me, to see that after we've spent millions and millions, after Bruce has had the team for 10 months, in the first game of the season .....well I was angry at the time and I still am.

And now he's talking about using it more.

• Like 1

Â