Chris Samba

midian

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We only had to bring someone with presence on if the aim is to hit long balls. 

He's got a £12 million striker he took off, a £12 million striker going on loan to a rival and two promising kids who don't seem to have squad numbers. 

He's made serious mistakes if Samba being brought on early is the only way we can stop conceding ground. 

we had lost midfield for varying reasons

was you watching....Lansbury/Bacuna & whelan in the second half.....they were being outfought and they lost the cumulative grip.

Green and Onomah did give us some tempo & impetus.

Hogan was being negated by their Centre backs......something had to be done......had we had a target man he would have come on, but we haven't.

Chris Samba as much as it goes against the grain, did win a few headers and gave us some respite from being our muscled.

do I want to go in to the season featuring Chris up front until our striker comes back.......NO

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Oops probably the fact that we HAD to bring someone with presence  on......but once we did and we stopped conceding ground, i actually though he should have done that sooner.

tin hat time

Samba came on in the 90th minute. We had arguably long stopped conceding ground by then. In fact since Green game on we had taken the impetus back in the match. This seems to be a false narraitive i ve seen in a few posts now. Samba didnt really do much in the period he came on. In fact he tried a run at one point and looked embarrassing slow and akward. Theres no way he should have come on earlier.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

we had lost midfield for varying reasons

was you watching....Lansbury/Bacuna & whelan in the second half.....they were being outfought and they lost the cumulative grip.

Green and Onomah did give us some tempo.

Hogan was being negated by their Centre backs......something had to be done......had we had a target man he would have come on, but we haven't.

Chris Samba as much as it goes against the grain, did win a few headers and gave us some respite from being our muscled.

do I want to go in to the season featuring Chris up front until our striker comes back.......NO

Like I said. If samba coming on earlier to play upfront is the only way we can stop conceding ground to a team like Hull, then he's done something seriously wrong and clearly has no ideas. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Like I said. If samba coming on earlier to play upfront is the only way we can stop conceding ground to a team like Hull, then he's done something seriously wrong and clearly has no ideas. 

Bruce may have done things wrong.....but he had a few players who ably assisted him.

well, I would say, despite a good first half.....the second was reminiscent of last season.

I have said when Kodjia is out.....we need a target man  (to help hold the ball up )and we haven't got one on the books of any repute.

I am still not convinced of the balance of our midfield and until that is corrected i think we will have days like Saturday.

However I do have to give credit to Hull for doing their bit well....better side than some give them credit for.

Edited by TRO

On 8/8/2017 at 05:51, DCJonah said:

It's the way you've chosen to interpret the earlier part though which makes your reaction a little silly. He came on in the 90th minute, bringing him on earlier probably means the 85th minute. You're reacting like he means the 34th minute or something.

You're also using Mcormack against him. A player he didn't sign and a player the football world knows has completely lost his marbles. He isn't an option is he? If we could get rid of him then maybe he could bring in a target man to throw on if we're chasing a game.

Every manager who has ever player samba has used his presence in some way at the other end of the pitch. Look at his goal in preseason. He is a giant. Nobody can touch him in the air. If you're trying to nick a win why wouldn't you use him??

I still don't see the issue with using a 9ft beast to try and cause problems in the box towards the end of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

It's the way you've chosen to interpret the earlier part though which makes your reaction a little silly. He came on in the 90th minute, bringing him on earlier probably means the 85th minute. You're reacting like he means the 34th minute or something.

You're also using Mcormack against him. A player he didn't sign and a player the football world knows has completely lost his marbles. He isn't an option is he? If we could get rid of him then maybe he could bring in a target man to throw on if we're chasing a game.

Every manager who has ever player samba has used his presence in some way at the other end of the pitch. Look at his goal in preseason. He is a giant. Nobody can touch him in the air. If you're trying to nick a win why wouldn't you use him??

I still don't see the issue with using a 9ft beast to try and cause problems in the box towards the end of the game.

Of course you don't. You seem to be fully behind every decision Bruce makes despite the result. 

You have no idea what he means by coming on earlier, that's the way you've chosen to interpret it. You also ignore the comments he made about working on it for the future. This is now an actual plan and tactic by Bruce.  

Every manager has used him there. Which games did he play as a forward for Anzhi? Or QPR? Or Dynamo Moscow? Or Panathinikos? Or do you remember him doing it for Blackburn 6/7 years ago and you've just assumed every manager has used him there?

Hey, if you think that tactic is the way forward, that's up to you. I don't. I rarely see teams who expect to be top of the their league's use such a tactic, they might consider it a one off desperate move but I seriously doubt any consider it a tactic that they will work on in the future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

£15m striker taken off with 15 odd mins to go, £12m striker sitting in the stands, centre half comes on up front, classic.

Don't forget the 2 promising youngsters waiting for a squad number. 

• Like 1

I think he could become a cult hero. Imagine the reaction if he'd have scored on Saturday. 

Yes he's a defender not a striker  but he's also a nuisance that will give teams something different to think about. 

I didn't  see it as him keeping a striker out of the team as he offers something completely different to the strikers we have. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

£15m striker taken off with 15 odd mins to go, £12m striker sitting in the stands, centre half comes on up front, classic.

Easy point score on paper - we have no-one that is as good as winning the ball in the air as Samba.

"Playing" football tends to go out the window in the last few minutes when trying desperately to nick a goal.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Easy point score on paper - we have no-one that is as good as winning the ball in the air as Samba.

"Playing" football tends to go out the window in the last few minutes when trying desperately to nick a goal.

Why though? 

If samba upfront and hoofing it to him gives us our best chance of scoring why don't we start the game like that? 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Why though? 

If samba upfront and hoofing it to him gives us our best chance of scoring why don't we start the game like that? 

Because most teams, at the start of a game, aren't clinging on to a point and sitting back, not allowing us to play through them?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Of course you don't. You seem to be fully behind every decision Bruce makes despite the result. 

You have no idea what he means by coming on earlier, that's the way you've chosen to interpret it. You also ignore the comments he made about working on it for the future. This is now an actual plan and tactic by Bruce.  

Every manager has used him there. Which games did he play as a forward for Anzhi? Or QPR? Or Dynamo Moscow? Or Panathinikos? Or do you remember him doing it for Blackburn 6/7 years ago and you've just assumed every manager has used him there?

Hey, if you think that tactic is the way forward, that's up to you. I don't. I rarely see teams who expect to be top of the their league's use such a tactic, they might consider it a one off desperate move but I seriously doubt any consider it a tactic that they will work on in the future. 

Not every decision no. I'm just over the smallest thing being jumped on and blown out of proportion. Of course he isn't going to bring him on and use him as a striker for large periods of the game. It's obvious what he means. Chasing a game he can be used last 10 - 15. Who else do we have with height?

I didn't say every manager has used him there. You haven't read it properly. Every manager has used his presence as an attacking tool. Throwing him forward when chasing a goal, pulling defenders around in the box. You'd be mad not to use his assets.

You rarely see teams use it?? come on. Which title winning side in any league doesn't use the height of their defenders to score goals? especially when they are trying to nick a win at the end of games. Every team does. Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Mertesacker it goes on and on and on....fricking hell Sir Alex used to use Bruce and Pallister every game.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill by implying that you think Bruce is going to start with Samba up front. It's madness. It's so far from what he means and you know it.

I'm not Bruces biggest fan. But stuff like this is starting to get silly.

• Like 1

Not once did I suggest Bruce is going to start him. 

I think the idea of him being used there for the last 10-15 minutes is ridiculous and pathetic and if that's our best option then we are in trouble. 

So which games did he play in for those previous teams where he was used as an attacker during the game? 

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Because most teams, at the start of a game, aren't clinging on to a point and sitting back, not allowing us to play through them?

A lot of teams in the championship have started by sitting back against us

I am as much against Bruce as anyone else, but bringin on Samba in the 90th minute I do not see any big problems with. When you throw the kitchen sink at a team, you need an outlet. We are out of time and need to go route 1, we have no one better at winning the aireal duel and maybe even holding up the ball than Samba, hence he came on. He did not come on to score goals, but merely to flick the ball on. The tactic of putting a defender up top in the dying minutes has been seen millions of times before (Maybe quite rare to sub on a defender to play that role, but defender up top has been seen multiple times nonetheless) 

The reason he did not start nor come on in the first half, is because you have to be sensible, Samba coming on is a gung-ho tactic, route A, all out attack, that is not sustainable for long periods. (If we had a target man I am sure we would have used him, we just don't have a target man). I am not a fan of Bruce, but some of the reaction towards Samba sub are overreactions in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not once did I suggest Bruce is going to start him. 

I think the idea of him being used there for the last 10-15 minutes is ridiculous and pathetic and if that's our best option then we are in trouble. 

So which games did he play in for those previous teams where he was used as an attacker during the game? 

Like I said mountain / molehill.

Is it our best option? it's one of many options we have. Hull had 3 big lads at the back. We were whipping balls in constantly. Who else are you going to bring on? we have no height. If we can get rid of Mcormack / amavi we might see that addressed.

Jesus mate probably a lot of games. You've already dismissed the games at Blackburn because they were too long ago. Does it matter what games I tell you?

• Like 1

Â