Chris Samba

midian

4 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Like I said mountain / molehill.

Is it our best option? it's one of many options we have. Hull had 3 big lads at the back. We were whipping balls in constantly. Who else are you going to bring on? we have no height. If we can get rid of Mcormack / amavi we might see that addressed.

Jesus mate probably a lot of games. You've already dismissed the games at Blackburn because they were too long ago. Does it matter what games I tell you?

You said every manager has used him there. I was just wondering if that was true or just made up as part of the defence for playing him there against Hull. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Easy point score on paper - we have no-one that is as good as winning the ball in the air as Samba.

"Playing" football tends to go out the window in the last few minutes when trying desperately to nick a goal.

£12m striker with over 100 goals at this level, a £15m striker signed off the back of scoring lots of goals at Brentford, or a centre half, I wonder who is more likely to get a late winner? Hmmm.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

A lot of teams in the championship have started by sitting back against us

There's a huge difference and I'm sure you know it really. Plenty of other teams chuck good headers of the ball up the pitch in the final few minutes to attempt to get a goal. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I think these are basically anti-Samba weather conditions - but yeah, he's been awful. 

Yeah, the heavy pitch must be a chore for him with his heavy body.

The again I doubt he'll thrive on a fast pitch where the ball is rolling faster on the ground.

First half he was utterly dreadful. Worrying.

However, what I would say is second half he looked much MUCH better.

Let's not forget it was his first competitive start for 9 months or so, and even before that he only played twice for Panathinaikos through injury so he's played hardly any football for well over a year. So it's understandable if he was well short of match experience.
Perhaps his improvement in the second half is evidence of that.

I guess I'm saying on this occasion I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But there were a few warning signs there. It needs to get better for him.

Edited by Stevo985

agree on giving the benefit of the doubt, in the air he looked good. but i fear he will have quick attackers/midfielders being told to run at him. i can see last night being the first of a few pens/goals he'll concede this season.

kinda hoping we don't sell elphick now

Tired players make bad decisions, and Samba was making tired, rash decisions from about the 7 minute mark.

Fair play though, he brought it back in the 2nd half, but you would hope Samba is rarely callded upon to start in the Championship as he would get shredded. The thing that stuck out for me was even when he was running back with a player, trying to go shoulder to shoulder...he was still losing these battles.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

First half he was utterly dreadful. Worrying.

However, what I would say is second half he looked much MUCH better.

Let's not forget it was his first competitive start for 9 months or so, and even before that he only played twice for Panathinaikos through injury so he's played hardly any football for well over a year. So it's understandable if he was well short of match experience.
Perhaps his improvement in the second half is evidence of that.

I guess I'm saying on this occasion I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But there were a few warning signs there. It needs to get better for him.

I'm also willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. As anyone whose played football knows those kind of conditions make balance a big issue, with Samba being a giant and not at his sharpest he got exposed quite a bit first half especially playing on his weaker left side. A mistake by Bruce which he gladly rectified. 

One thing I will say is that he had the experience to come back from the horror start. Richards would have turned that start in to a one man match losing performance. Samba realised he needed to go back to basics. Either easy passes or if in doubt clearances. Made plenty of headers second half too. Still willing to believe he can be a decent back up.

• Like 1

48 year old centre back who wasn't played competitive football for 3 years and had to train for free for a year with his current club before being offered a contract in "looking dodgy AF" shocker.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

It's pretty worrying that he's our third choice CB and we have to rely on Terry to get through a full 46 game season.

Yeah I'd like to see someone come in (even on loan potentially) who could provide cover at centre back. Watching Samba yesterday left me thinking there must be one of the kids who could step up and do a better job than that. Colchester players were just running straight past him so I dread to think what would have happened if he'd been called on against Hull with Grosicki and Campbell running at the defence.

Â