Chris Samba

midian

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We were 2-0 down then we pulled one back to make it 2-1, then samba gave away the penalty against gabby. he really struggled with gabbys pace back then so thats something we need to be aware of 

in fairness I dont think anybody at this level was as quick as Gabby back then. I know we mock him a bit but Gabby 2010 was one of fastest players in the world he would have gave Ronaldo a good race he was that quick

wasnt keen when trial was announced but he has stayed for 6 months and showed good character and he seems like he wants to be here, he prob could have got a deal elsewhere in that time

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

in fairness I dont think anybody at this level was as quick as Gabby back then. I know we mock him a bit but Gabby 2010 was one of fastest players in the world he would have gave Ronaldo a good race he was that quick

wasnt keen when trial was announced but he has stayed for 6 months and showed good character and he seems like he wants to be here, he prob could have got a deal elsewhere in that time

Yeah valid point about gabbys pace. If he actually had a footballing brain and his attitude was a lot better he really could have gone on to be something special 

Looked a giant today. The header for his goal he got up early and hung in the air, no one was getting that ball other than him.

Did the same for a clearance.

Need to keep him motivated just like a few others and we should be looking solid.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Samba ahead of Chester? Deffo at this moment on a par. 

Not quite sure about that, but it's a long season so he will get his fair share of games. What's great about him is that he is a genuine threat in the oppositions box from set pieces, so will chip in with a couple of goals (Terry also has a good goalscoring record for a centre half so should do the same). 

• Like 2

Way too early for that talk as no friendly has really been played at a pace as yet. I feel when he gets a chance to open his legs his pace is okay but over the first 5 or 10 he is dangerously slow.

As a squad player to chuck in he will probably do a job on occasions, I just fear Bruce will be tempted to find a way ( 3 at the back) to get him into the first 11 for set pieces alone. That would be a mistake.

• Like 1

Hang on a bit when we lose a friendly the players are cursed (it is only a pre seasonget fit thingy) and we couldn't beat a nothing side. We win and it's too early to judge! What it is to be a fan eh? Judge before a ball is kicked judge after we lose (they are sh*t) judge after we win(too early). Roll on the season then the real crap can hit the fan (pun intended) 

• Like 2

Not seen him of late, but in his formative years at Blackburn he was formidable.

In terms of effectiveness one of the best around.

Injury free, fingers crossed.

Looks a canny signing. He's obviously proved himself over his long trial and is a far better option than Micah

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looks a canny signing. He's obviously proved himself over his long trial and is a far better option than Micah

Think I'd prefer him to baker too , nothing against baker but samba has impressed me a lot - should be reliable back up .

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

Im finding the fact he has been at the club for a good couple of months now (in whatever capacity, trial/keeping fit) a little more reassuring. 

When he first turned up at the club i thought it was all a bit of a joke. The guy was shot to pieces in his last stint at QPR, and we already had 1 overpaid bum on the books in Micah Richards. 

That said, he has been here a while now, so this wasn't a spur of moment thing. Bruce has had a number of months to access the bloke and decided to give him a contract.

On today, there where times that he looked like a rock, and if teams are going to play hoof balll against us, He will be great. But, (agree with rodders so I'll just quote his post). 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I feel when he gets a chance to open his legs his pace is okay but over the first 5 or 10 he is dangerously slow.

As a squad player to chuck in he will probably do a job on occasions, I just fear Bruce will be tempted to find a way ( 3 at the back) to get him into the first 11 for set pieces alone. That would be a mistake.

All in all, relatively happy with the bloke. I don't  think he's a starter, he is behind Terry and Chester for me. And as @mykeyb said, pairing Terry and Samba together would be suicide, so for me he is cover for Terry and nothing else. 

Edited by av1

Â