Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Took his goals well, especially the second. Made some good runs and pressured defenders. However, there are still times when I wish he would compete more. He doesn't even try to win any headers (I hate the tactic anyway, but why have him back for corners?), and hold up play is poor. Hopefully this gives him confidence and he can kick on

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

As fans, i don't think we quite understand the business of settling in.

some hit the ground running others take some time.

its a weird phenomenon.

think we've seen how you have to play to suit your strikers. Would love to see him and Davis together, think we'd see a bit more space opening up for our midfield.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

think we've seen how you have to play to suit your strikers. Would love to see him and Davis together, think we'd see a bit more space opening up for our midfield.

I understand that and its a valid point....... but how do you reconcile the situation with Ken McNaught?

came to us from Everton in to a settled team to partner a settled CB Allan Evans.....He resembled a pub player for 20 games, then settled in to a fine partner for AE Thereafter.....hence my comment weird phenomenon.

and there are plenty of example like that.....its sometimes the player themselves have to settle in to the new surroundings.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand that and its a valid point....... but how do you reconcile the situation with Ken McNaught?

came to us from Everton in to a settled team to partner a settled CB Allan Evans.....He resembled a pub player for 20 games, then settled in to a fine partner for AE Thereafter.....hence my comment weird phenomenon.

and there are plenty of example like that.....its sometimes the player themselves have to settle in to the new surroundings.

I'm too young for Mr McNaught!

Second goal was terrific, would compliment any striker at any level. He looked sharp in that silly tournament we won in the summer, was hoping he would hit his stride now. Fingers crossed.

If we can keep and stimulate McC, and Kodjia returning, our forward line including the Bracey bonus of Davis gives us the best Championship forward squad, easily better than Middlesborough. Could be exciting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

the player doesn't matter really, it was the principle I was trying to highlight.

I think it can definitely be a case of both, and at the very least part of helping a player to settle is allowing them to play their natural game while adapting to their team mates. I'm delighted he's getting more comfortable and scoring now, and he have options in Davis and Kodjia when he's back to give him time and space!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Madness

lol.  I know you misread and have said such, but really?  Davis has had one good game in which he did not score and, on the back of that, it would be "madness" to play Hogan ahead of him?

What? :o

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

lol.  I know you misread and have said such, but really?  Davis has had one good game in which he did not score and, on the back of that, it would be "madness" to play Hogan ahead of him?

What? :o

I think it would be madness to change a key part of the team that just had our best performance and result for a long time. I don't think Davis is the second coming of Christ or that he should never be dropped in the future. But to drop someone that helps our system work for someone who hasn't helped our system the very next game after a 4-2 win would be madness IMO. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think it would be madness to change a key part of the team that just had our best performance and result for a long time. I don't think Davis is the second coming of Christ or that he should never be dropped in the future. But to drop someone that helps our system work for someone who hasn't helped our system the very next game after a 4-2 win would be madness IMO. 

The main thing that happened against Norwich IMO (and Davis was very good, don't get me wrong) is the midfield actively coming forward and bursting into the box.  Hourihane's first goal just would not have happened previously - and Hogan could do exactly what Davis did (run down right, put ball in).

I'd have no problem with Davis starting - he played very well and deserves a first team shot on the back of it - but I'd be equally happy if Hogan started again too.  He's a better striker (right now); it's not madness at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The main thing that happened against Norwich IMO (and Davis was very good, don't get me wrong) is the midfield actively coming forward and bursting into the box.  Hourihane's first goal just would not have happened previously - and Hogan could do exactly what Davis did (run down right, put ball in).

I'd have no problem with Davis starting - he played very well and deserves a first team shot on the back of it - but I'd be equally happy if Hogan started again too.  He's a better striker (right now); it's not madness at all.

Could Hogan do that? When has he done it? I don't remember times where he's beat players and put dangerous balls into the box. 

It was key that we could build attacks and that doesn't happen with Hogan because he doesn't keep the ball. The system worked, for the first time in God knows how long. We didn't rely on just kodjia or a grealish wonder goal, we had a midfield  player score a hattrick for the first time since Platt. Changing it would be crazy. 

Hogan is a better striker in some aspects but this is about a system that works and that means sometimes a better player misses out because it's better for the team. 

Now playing Davis and Hogan could be an interesting one, although you lose out on hourihane being so far forward but it could work. But replacing Davis for Hogan in the next game would be utter madness. 

Edited by DCJonah

I see Hogan as more of an off-the-shoulder kind of player. He won't hold the ball up, he won't take on 3 players and score, he looks for the gaps and he gets behind the defender. Him and Davis have potential.

• Like 1

Â