Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Potentially we have wasted a lot of money on him as well as RMC.

Imagine who we could have signed if we had not signed these two?

I don't want to write Hogan off yet but unless he plays alongside Davis or Kodjia, it is not going to work out for him here.

I dont get the bashing he is getting from some. He is a goal scorer.

The problem is today proved exactly what type of striker this team is set up for and it isn't a hogan type. So spending 9 mill on him is a bit of a head scratcher.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

I dont get the bashing he is getting from some. He is a goal scorer.

The problem is today proved exactly what type of striker this team is set up for and it isn't a hogan type. So spending 9 mill on him is a bit of a head scratcher.

He seems somewhat superfluous. Given how Bruce sets us up I have to say Hogan was a brainless signing. He can't play the way Bruce wants him to. Other the other hand, Davis clearly can and Kodjia can also play up top alone with these tactics and still be effective.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So no more excuses for him. 

A kid making his first ever start puts him to shame. 

When kodjia is back he should be dropping right down the order. Massive waste of important money.

I'm not going to write him off , I think there's a very good player in there with great movement - a few goals and his confidence up and he could still be a huge player this season .

22 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I had a feeling this thread would be bashing Hogan based on Davis', admittedly fantastic, performance. But it is very unfair, they're completely different strikers and whilst I admit the way we're set up suits Davis perfectly (and the team as a whole) it doesn't therefore mean Hogan is cr*p.

If we're going to play longer (hoof) football then absolutely need to play Davis as he's practically the only striker to be able to hold the ball up and win the physical battle. But I'd have fancied Hogan to have taken that 1 on 1 in the first few minutes and think he's a better striker, currently, than Davis whn facing towards the goal. But Villa don't set up for that kind of striker which is why both Hogan and McCormack have done very little.

But the real question that needs answering is do we need to play only one up front? Now we have a player who can cope physically and hold the ball up, imagine what we could do with a striker to feed off him as well as the midfield catching up. We played 4-1-4-1 today, yet I think we'd offer more threat with a traditional 4-4-2, and lose little defensively. 

I'd love to try a partnership of Davis and Hogan upfront on Tuesday vs Wigan

I didn't watch today but did we play long ball?

I think this long ball excuse gets used a lot with Hogan, ignoring all the times he loses the ball with a bad pass, bad touch or lack of strength. His inability to keep the ball and bring others in means we can't build any attacks. No surprise he's not in the team and we create plenty. 

He also has missed some sitters this season 

I'd like to see him upfront with Davis but I think we are going to stick with 1 upfront. And if that's the way then he drops down to 3rd choice for me. Maybe even behind Gabby. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I didn't watch today but did we play long ball?

I think this long ball excuse gets used a lot with Hogan, ignoring all the times he loses the ball with a bad pass, bad touch or lack of strength. His inability to keep the ball and bring others in means we can't build any attacks. No surprise he's not in the team and we create plenty. 

He also has missed some sitters this season 

I'd like to see him upfront with Davis but I think we are going to stick with 1 upfront. And if that's the way then he drops down to 3rd choice for me. Maybe even behind Gabby. 

Yes, we still play long ball and today was no different. But it, in itself, is not a bad thing.

Normally we play defence, hoof to striker (like Hogan) who can't  control it and lose possession.

Today it was defence, hoof it to striker but Davis could hold it up and bring the midfield in to the game. Our midfield possession, and team as a whole, is still relatively poor but the way we play with Davis is much more effective/efficient. But there's still little in the way of midfield supply to strikers.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So no more excuses for him. 

A kid making his first ever start puts him to shame. 

When kodjia is back he should be dropping right down the order. Massive waste of important money.

Different types of forwards.

In fact, as has been stated, the type of foil he needs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Davis and Hogan- could that work?

It's certainly worth a try.  My guess is it would work best on an opponent that played deep and very organized.  It would take a couple matches for them to learn each other before it fully clicked.   On the other hand.  Having Hourihane pushed up high in midfield, almost a withdrawn forward kind of role worked well enough that I wouldn't try it until Hourihane Davis stops working like golden snowflakes in the summer.  

When Davis got the ball on Saturday he was able to bring it under control and in general find a villa team mate with a pass. Hogan is unable to do either of those things. Thats very little to do with systems, formations, coaching  and everything to do with ability (or lack of)  with the ball.

Can we please stick to the topic please which is Scott Hogan. Not more of the puerile personal stuff that I've just had to clean up, it doesn't make for great debate

Either agree to disagree or debate the points in a civilised manner. This isn't the infants' school playground

4 hours ago, hippo said:

When Davis got the ball on Saturday he was able to bring it under control and in general find a villa team mate with a pass. Hogan is unable to do either of those things. Thats very little to do with systems, formations, coaching  and everything to do with ability (or lack of)  with the ball.

Sorry but you're wrong.

We play long balls forward from the back the majority of the time. In the air against 6 foot centre backs Hogan is always on the back foot and is unable to bring the ball down or win headers to bring in the midfield. Davis on the other hand is more of a target man, he has more of a physical presence in the air and so can bring down long balls and bring the midfield into the game.

If we played possession football and looked to feed ball's through to our strikers Hogan would be the best striker for the job. The run's he makes are excellent however we don't pick them out enough.

Taking nothing away from Davis, he was brilliant on Saturday and as long as Bruce employs this tactic he should be starting and leading the line for us.

He's a very limited, lower league player who we paid massively over the odds for.  He basically needs a team built around him, playing to the limited ability he has. 

• Like 1

Â