Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Sorry but you're wrong.

We play long balls forward from the back the majority of the time. In the air against 6 foot centre backs Hogan is always on the back foot and is unable to bring the ball down or win headers to bring in the midfield. Davis on the other hand is more of a target man, he has more of a physical presence in the air and so can bring down long balls and bring the midfield into the game.

If we played possession football and looked to feed ball's through to our strikers Hogan would be the best striker for the job. The run's he makes are excellent however we don't pick them out enough.

Taking nothing away from Davis, he was brilliant on Saturday and as long as Bruce employs this tactic he should be starting and leading the line for us.

I've read this so much and just can't agree. 

If all we ever did was play through balls, we'd never build attacks, we would never bring midfield players into attacking positions and we would rarely keep the ball and always be under pressure. 

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Sorry but you're wrong.

We play long balls forward from the back the majority of the time. In the air against 6 foot centre backs Hogan is always on the back foot and is unable to bring the ball down or win headers to bring in the midfield. Davis on the other hand is more of a target man, he has more of a physical presence in the air and so can bring down long balls and bring the midfield into the game.

If we played possession football and looked to feed ball's through to our strikers Hogan would be the best striker for the job. The run's he makes are excellent however we don't pick them out enough.

Taking nothing away from Davis, he was brilliant on Saturday and as long as Bruce employs this tactic he should be starting and leading the line for us.

I d say thats pretty close to being the same thing - as you said " he (Hogan) is unable to bring the ball down or win headers to bring in the midfield" 

For Davis first chance, he dispossessed an opposition player, pushed passed the defenders and got himself a shot on goal - no long ball in sight - to be honest I don't remember his chasing m(any) long balls all afternoon.

Hogan hasn't been able to push past a defender since he has been here - and if we were feeding balls through to the strikers personally I would rather that striker be davies than Hogan (in case there is an opposition player to go past)  

On 20/08/2017 at 00:52, srsmithusa said:

It's certainly worth a try.  My guess is it would work best on an opponent that played deep and very organized.  It would take a couple matches for them to learn each other before it fully clicked.   On the other hand.  Having Hourihane pushed up high in midfield, almost a withdrawn forward kind of role worked well enough that I wouldn't try it until Hourihane Davis stops working like golden snowflakes in the summer.  

We scored 4 goals on Saturday - No rush for a Hogan\Davis partnership from me.  Pretty sure Davis would be accused of not passing to him in such a partnership.

The only role I see for Hogan is if we are chasing the game  late on a super sub role

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I d say thats pretty close to being the same thing - as you said " he (Hogan) is unable to bring the ball down or win headers to bring in the midfield" 

For Davis first chance, he dispossessed an opposition player, pushed passed the defenders and got himself a shot on goal - no long ball in sight - to be honest I don't remember his chasing m(any) long balls all afternoon.

Hogan hasn't been able to push past a defender since he has been here - and if we were feeding balls through to the strikers personally I would rather that striker be davies than Hogan (in case there is an opposition player to go past)  

He wasn't chasing long balls because he was winning them in the air.

The fact is they are two different strikers who play in two different ways. Davis was brilliant, but we helped him to play well as the team is set up for a player like him. Hogan has been poor because we aren't set up to play to his strengths.

Benteke at Liverpool is the perfect example of this, they didn't play to his strengths and he looked poor for them. However we all know that he is a great player.

For me, tomorrow night we need to play Davis & Hogan together. Even if it's just for the first half before giving Davis a rest. If Davis can win the ball like he was doing on Saturday and then feed it to Hogan we could be onto a great partnership.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The fact is they are two different strikers who play in two different ways. Davis was brilliant, but we helped him to play well as the team is set up for a player like him. Hogan has been poor because we aren't set up to play to his strengths.

Benteke at Liverpool is the perfect example of this, they didn't play to his strengths and he looked poor for them. However we all know that he is a great player.

For me, tomorrow night we need to play Davis & Hogan together. Even if it's just for the first half before giving Davis a rest. If Davis can win the ball like he was doing on Saturday and then feed it to Hogan we could be onto a great partnership.

I really couldn't give a toss about Hogan - let alone structure the whole team around him.  If he plays tomorrow and plays well maybe gets a couple of goals then he is pushing for a first team place. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be. Kojodia and Davis seem to offer so much more - and whilst that remains the case they get in the team ahead of Hogan until that changes.

Our priority is to win matches and score goals - not bend the team any which way to accommodate a player who since his arrival here has shown very little.  

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Agree on this. 

10 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

What about the times he had the ball and gave it away? Or the times it was played to feet and he was easily dispossessed. 

There's two myths starting to develop. 1) that he has amazing movement 2) that every ball to him is a long ball 

Personally I'd sell Hogan while the memory of his spell at Brentford is still fresh in people's minds.  I predict that in 12 months time we'll have another extremely expensive flop on our hands who we'll be stuck with.

I think Hogan suits a very specific setup, and it's not Villa's and probably won't be any time soon.

As much as I'd like this one to work out, I'm not convinced it will anymore.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Hogan suits a very specific setup, and it's not Villa's and probably won't be any time soon.

As much as I'd like this one to work out, I'm not convinced it will anymore.

I agree, sadly i dont think anyone is going to pay 15m for him. we would be lucky to get 8-9m for him 

Another expensive flop. Othe rteams have proven if your scouting is good you can find good strikers/attacking midfielders at reasonable prices. Like Saiz for example at leeds and Che Adams who only cost 1.2m from blose  

13 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Never happen I know

Sorry for some reason I read it as you wanted him over Davis. 

The only issue with that is we lose a midfield player. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Â