Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Terrible player.  He was lucky that we were desperate just as he had one good patch for Brentford, as lower league standard players sometimes do when a team is basically built around them.  No way on god's earth is he a £15m standard player.  We have bought some absolute shite the last few years, and he's rapidly turning into one of the very worst purchases of all.

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Bruce has everyone camped on the edge of our box and puts Hogan all on his own and treats him as a target man, I'm sorry but I refuse to think he's a terrible player.

If a new manager comes in and he's still rubbish then I'll hold my hands up that I was wrong about this. 

Agree 100%

Agreed. He has been poor for us but I feel he has been played completely the wrong way. Like many of our players tbh. 

When we get a new manager who is hopefully progressive then I think we will see a different better Hogan.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

7 hours ago, Farlz said:

Bruce has everyone camped on the edge of our box and puts Hogan all on his own and treats him as a target man, I'm sorry but I refuse to think he's a terrible player.

If a new manager comes in and he's still rubbish then I'll hold my hands up that I was wrong about this. 

He's been awful, some of it down to the way we play some of it down to him and his own flaws. 

In hoping the next man can sort him out. 

If he played for a possession side like Reading he'd score bucketloads. I wanted to sign him but it actually sums up Bruce. Buy a cracking player but don't play him in system that suits and make him look awful. You can add Lansbury Hourihane etc to that.  

10 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

If he played for a possession side like Reading he'd score bucketloads. I wanted to sign him but it actually sums up Bruce. Buy a cracking player but don't play him in system that suits and make him look awful. You can add Lansbury Hourihane etc to that.  

I just don't get this. What's is based on? Where has this idea that he's a proven natural scorer come from? 

He's 25 years old, he's had one 30 game spell scoring goals at championship level. 

Please someone tell me what the belief is based on. Is it just the fact he was expensive? 

If he played for a possession side he'd be a major weak link because he can't keep possession. The first 3 times he touched the ball yesterday he cheaply gave it away. 

7 hours ago, Farlz said:

Hogan is player with great movement who is playing for a manger devoid of tactics or any plan - put hogan under a decent manager and he will score for fun .

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's been awful, some of it down to the way we play some of it down to him and his own flaws. 

In hoping the next man can sort him out. 

Confidence looks low - strikers thrive on goals and service - he is played totally in a different way from Bruce who seems to be an expert at buying players and then using them in a totally different way . 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Hogan is player with great movement who is playing for a manger devoid of tactics or any plan - put hogan under a decent manager and he will score for fun .

Honestly I just don't get where this idea he will score for fun comes from. 

The only way I can see him working at villa is if we play a front 2. His passing and hold up play is too poor to be a sole striker. 

Ideally partner him with a fit kodjia but then I'd imagine kodjia will be labelled selfish when he puts one in the top corner but doesn't thread the perfect pass to Hogan. 

Until he's fit, Hogan needs to play with McCormack IMO. 

I think 1 up front can work when it's kodjia but is absolutely pointless when you have someone as limited as Hogan upfront 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get this. What's is based on? Where has this idea that he's a proven natural scorer come from? 

He's 25 years old, he's had one 30 game spell scoring goals at championship level. 

Please someone tell me what the belief is based on. Is it just the fact he was expensive? 

If he played for a possession side he'd be a major weak link because he can't keep possession. The first 3 times he touched the ball yesterday he cheaply gave it away. 

He is a good finisher from what I've seen granted mainly on YouTube as he doesn't seem to have any luck for us but I've seen enough with my own eyes to know his movement is brilliant but that's no good on the half way line. His job isn't to keep possession it's to finish it off. That's why playing for a team like Reading that keeps the ball and presses you back is ideal as his movement will get him in. 

Edited by dn1982

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

He is a good finisher from what I've seen granted mainly on YouTube as he doesn't seem to have any luck for us but I've seen enough with my own eyes to know his movement is brilliant but that's no good on the half way line. His job isn't to keep possession it's to finish it off. That's why playing for a team like Reading that keeps the ball and presses you back is ideal as his movement will get him in. 

You're going to struggle to build attacks if the team keep possession and the striker is no part of it at all. 

You've got to be an amazing finisher if all you're going to contribute is trying to take the odd chance and Hogan isn't at that level where he get away with being so uninvolved. 

He did look good on YouTube but he's mid 20's and has only managed one short spell at this level. That's a concern for me. 

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When he played for Rochdale and Brentford, both sides who like to build attacks from wide but keep the ball on the ground, he scored something like 40 goals in 65 games - so literally the whole of his professional footballer career.

But, aside from that...

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

When he played for Rochdale and Brentford, both sides who like to build attacks from wide but keep the ball on the ground, he scored something like 40 goals in 65 games - so literally the whole of his professional footballer career.

But, aside from that...

What's league 2 got to do with championship football? Why would that prove he can do it two league's up? 

Same things were said about kozak, because he scored goals in the Czech 2nd Division he was obviously a natural goal scorer. 

So like I said, one 30 game spell in the championship at the age of 25. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What's league 2 got to do with championship football? Why would that prove he can do it two league's up? 

Same things were said about kozak, because he scored goals in the Czech 2nd Division he was obviously a natural goal scorer. 

So like I said, one 30 game spell in the championship at the age of 25. 

You asked how is he a "natural goalscorer" and "where does this belief come from" - I was just telling you.

But sure, let's go Championship... 21 goals in 33 games.  Our other striker, Kodjia, had one spell in the Championship prior to signing for us - 19 goals in 49 games.  Now I know you'll say Kodjia is the better striker, no doubt, and that's because he's scored goals for us.  He was less proven than Hogan was when we signed him, though, and 2 years older too.  Would you say he is a "natural goalscorer"?

It's clear to see that our style of play is hampering Hogan.  Sure, he hasn't been brilliant either, so it's a lose/lose situation but it's obviously mainly because of our "tactics".  He has done far, far better in the rest of his career.  His time at Villa is the outlier.

• Like 3

Â