Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Not sure myself. He looked weak and unable to win any challenges and couldn't engineer any space for himself, both things a decent striker needs to do otherwise how can other players provide him with any decent service? One or two decent runs that didn't lead to anything aren't enough to convince me.

If you look at his goals for Brentford, he gets a few poachers goals, but a lot are off the shoulder of the defenders, looking for the through ball. 

I know some people think it's all a bit wafty, but I'm another one who thinks his movement is unreal, it's just not dropping for him. He's great at getting across defenders in the box and off their shoulders for the through ball. He's a clever player, but I agree, he is quite weak in the challenge, he's not a forward you can play up to and off. 

He was close today. It was a lovely little bit of footwork to make the chance for himself and he was close from the cross too. Neither were easy chances missed, but he'd probably have taken one of them if on form. 

• Like 2

He just looks very unlucky to me. The ball never quite falls right for him. Defenders make great blocks, the ball goes just wide. 

Reminds me a bit of Dean Saunders who I always describe as the unluckiest striker I ever saw play for us.  I genuinely mean that as he ALMOST scored 50 goals a season for us. 

Never seen another striker come so close to scoring but not actually score than Saunders. Difference is Saunders also managed to bag a fair few as well and I am sure this will follow with Hogan as well. 

• Like 1

Overall I thought he was pretty poor yesterday. Only highlights were the dribble into the box and the chance that went across goal. 

First half he was good, smart movement and runs and nearly scored an excellent solo goal. 

I couldn't tell if he got a flick on the cross for Gabbys goal, or it just turned out to be a good dummy, but he did get a lovely flick later on where if Gabby commits to the shot he probably gets a second. I think it was him that also set up Lansbury who should have done better from the edge of the box.

2nd half he was pretty anonymous, although its hard not to be when the ball is being punted up to you while the rest of the team stays 30 yards further back.

• Like 1

First 30 mins he looked very lively. Missed a golden opportunity but nearly scored a great goal. 

The rest of the time he was back to his usual ineffective self. His hold up play and touch is not good enough and his passing is average. 

He has to be able to do these things, every ball forward can't be over the top or threaded through otherwise we will never keep the ball and build any attack. 

The more I see him the more I think we've signed a dud and the idea that Bruce had scouted him for a long time is utter rubbish. Clearly a panic buy at the end of the January window

Made a few probing runs,one through the middle 1st half which if Hutton had looked up just needed a ball through to him.Hutton put it out to Elmo instead.

Must have been knackered when he came off from running round their back 4 trying to close them down.

28 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Made a few probing runs,one through the middle 1st half which if Hutton had looked up just needed a ball through to him.Hutton put it out to Elmo instead.

Must have been knackered when he came off from running round their back 4 trying to close them down.

I don't think he closed them down much at all. During their good spell in the second half they had loads of time and space with the ball. 

Starting to think he's just not going to do it for us unfortunately, we need both him and jimmy to fire this season if we are going to be up there, I would be looking for another striker to come in before the transfer window shuts.

1 hour ago, Stockport_Villain said:

I like his play and style and on another day his touch at the front post from the cross would have gone in, just like it did in Germany. I don't know why Villa fans have developed this "player is shit" attitude and don't give them a chance. It is very frustrating. I think with a bit of encouragement Hogan, along with a few others would be great players for us.

He gets plenty of encouragement at the games. But surely as adults we can share opinions when not at games. 

Â