Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I agree with the points a few have made.

He needs more balls played in to his path rather than to his feet whilst his back is to goal.

He does look like a clever player and makes some good runs which I think are ending without reward as the ball hasn't been played to him.

He's small and quick, I think there's still a safe attitude to keep possession, as we have struggled with that in many areas of the pitch, so there's a tendency to give him the ball to his feet so the ball hasn't been lost rather than the slight risk of playing it through and it's over hit or a defender nips in and clears it away. But the result of this has been pulling him out of his comfort zone and defenders are easily narrowing the space around him and he seems to struggle with that.

I hope he's talking to his team mates, telling them what type of passes he wants to receive and working hard in training. I hoe he doesn't become dejected as at Brentford the team seemed to be built around him where as with us we're in the building process (not for the first time -_-) where a new team is being formed and I hope he has patience and foresight but also is imposing himself and imprinting that in order for us to successfully score goals, the team need to offer him the specific service that compliments his strengths.

It's the type of thing that can only improve the more these players play and train together and get to know each other.

If the time comes where he's receiving these type of passes and he's frequently wasting them than that's fair enough and he didn't make the grade.

But, for now, I still have some faith that with perseverance a familiarity will develop and we will see him score a fair few goals.

I agree with those who say he could do with a foil too. And that could even be Kodija when he comes back, he's the type of striker that absorbs a lot of attention and this will benefit Hogan by creating some space for him.

Maybe, that was the plan a bit with Gabby yesterday playing out wide and cutting in, to pull the back line out of shape and open up space for Hogan. It was effective but the problem then was Hull reacted to that and we didn't seem to have a reply.

Edited by 8pints

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He gets plenty of encouragement at the games. But surely as adults we can share opinions when not at games. 

Most definitely, however it's seems a lot of the negative opinions are spreading and are taken into the games. Whilst again everyone is entitled to there own opinion I don't think it takes a genius to see how Alan "Cafu" Hutton has improved, and actually referenced, the fact he enjoys playing at VP now because the Holte have a song for him. It can not be underestimated how much negative/positive noise influence normal everyday people, never mind players who perform their trade in front of 30,000+ people.

6 minutes ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Most definitely, however it's seems a lot of the negative opinions are spreading and are taken into the games. Whilst again everyone is entitled to there own opinion I don't think it takes a genius to see how Alan "Cafu" Hutton has improved, and actually referenced, the fact he enjoys playing at VP now because the Holte have a song for him. It can not be underestimated how much negative/positive noise influence normal everyday people, never mind players who perform their trade in front of 30,000+ people.

I agree but I do think Hogan gets a lot of encouragement at the moment. 

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Simply not getting enough service, again, he didn't get enough quality into the box. That said, what an enormous overspend he represents.

What exactly do you mean by service ?  - where and in what circumstances do you expect him to receive the ball ? 

Thought saturday was one of his better games - but full of goals he ain't - Can anbody honestly see him getting more than around six goals this season /

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

What exactly do you mean by service ?  - where and in what circumstances do you expect him to receive the ball ? 

Thought saturday was one of his better games - but full of goals he ain't - Can anbody honestly see him getting more than around six goals this season /

Err frequent service into the box might help. By service I mean, you know, crosses and through balls.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Err frequent service into the box might help. By service I mean, you know, crosses and through balls.

You mean like the cross Gabby scored from - or the through ball that put Gabby 1-1 with the keeper 

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

You mean like the cross Gabby scored from - or the through ball that put Gabby 1-1 with the keeper 

Yes, but to Hogan. When we realise the passes he needs are forward and positive, he'll score loads. Kodjia can provide the spark, hogan is a finisher he needs chances to finish. If he finished every chance he gets he'd be in the premier league. 

Very good player IMO.

16 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Yes, but to Hogan. When we realise the passes he needs are forward and positive, he'll score loads. Kodjia can provide the spark, hogan is a finisher he needs chances to finish. If he finished every chance he gets he'd be in the premier league. 

Very good player IMO.

So would we !

Surely its down to hogan to get on the end of crosses though - like gabby did.

I think what people are saying if we play a killer pass - which slices through defence Hogan will run onto it and score. In the real world we may fall short of that - he might have to out tussle a defender,  or shoot whilst under pressure from a defender.

I don't see how you can say he is very good player - his touch and close control are pretty shocking to be honest. Now in running onto through balls that might not matter much - but his lack of much ability on the ball is what is hampering him at the moment. 

Edited by hippo

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

So would we !

Surely its down to hogan to get on the end of crosses though - like gabby did.

I think what people are saying if we play a killer pass - which slices through defence Hogan will run onto it and score. In the real world we may fall short of that - he might have to out tussle a defender,  or shoot whilst under pressure from a defender.

I don't see how you can say he is very good player - his touch and close control are pretty shocking to be honest. Now in running onto through balls that might not matter much - but his lack of much ability on the ball is what is hampering him at the moment. 

Watch Gabbys goal, who has the awareness to dummy it? If they play a similar number of games Hogan will outscore Gabby. He is never going to be the target man that will win, shield long balls up field. If we play like that to him he will be poor. In the first half on Saturday when we played football he looked impressive, in the second half half when when we didn't play football he looked terrible.

Jesus, I think I've just joined the Bruce out group. I'm going for a lie down. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stratvillan said:

Watch Gabbys goal, who has the awareness to dummy it? If they play a similar number of games Hogan will outscore Gabby. He is never going to be the target man that will win, shield long balls up field. If we play like that to him he will be poor. In the first half on Saturday when we played football he looked impressive, in the second half half when when we didn't play football he looked terrible.

Jesus, I think I've just joined the Bruce out group. I'm going for a lie down. 

I disagree - I think Gabby will outscore Hogan - time will tell.

He had a reasonable first half but lets no overboard - he didn't look massively threatening  or some sort of marco van basten calibre player. He might be good connecting with loose balls - but other than that he is very limited player.

When I watch Hogan I see an intelligent striker who has sharp initial pace which allows him to get beyond CB's in a two or three yard burst. He makes runs that our other strikers don't think about and stretches defences. I agree with a number of other posters that he needs better service before he scores regularly. He has the right predatory instincts and finishing ability, but sadly he's playing in a system that starves him of quality ball at the moment.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I disagree - I think Gabby will outscore Hogan - time will tell.

He had a reasonable first half but lets no overboard - he didn't look massively threatening  or some sort of marco van basten calibre player. He might be good connecting with loose balls - but other than that he is very limited player.

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

When I watch Hogan I see an intelligent striker who has sharp initial pace which allows him to get beyond CB's in a two or three yard burst. He makes runs that our other strikers don't think about and stretches defences. I agree with a number of other posters that he needs better service before he scores regularly. He has the right predatory instincts and finishing ability, but sadly he's playing in a system that starves him of quality ball at the moment.

Hogan is this years McCormack. We just kill this type of player.

34 minutes ago, dukes said:

Hogan is this years McCormack. We just kill this type of player.

I think he is this years Ayew

A player who a lot people suddenly expect to score goals - but he doesn't. 

1 minute ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Ayew was our best player by an absolute mile the season we went down.

Maybe so - he didn't play badly early part of last season. He just couldn't score. I think Hogan is much the same.

Â