Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, hippo said:

You mean like the cross Gabby scored from - or the through ball that put Gabby 1-1 with the keeper 

It's already been mentioned but hogan dummies for the 1 on 1, and if Gabby had the presence of mind, he could easily have squared the ball instead of getting it stuck under his feet and shooting tamely, who would've been there for a tap in?? You guessed it!! 

And the goal, again Hogan showed great movement to the front post taking a defender out the way, Lansbury got forward which tucked the full back inside leaving gabby virtually an open net. Gabby has never been a natural scorer and being in the right place at the right time is usually luck more than judgement with Gabby. In the case of the goal, it was great off the ball work which opened up the space and Gabby tucked it away nicely.

I think when you look at Hogans movement, he has a more natural understanding of the game which would mean when e is in the right place at the right time, I'd suggest he meant to be there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

And the goal, again Hogan showed great movement to the front post taking a defender out the way,

I actually thought Hogan got a touch on it and sorta flicked it just enough to deflect the path of the ball .. (haven't seen a conclusive replay though) he did something similar a bit later on as well

He's a smart player, just needs to finish a couple for his confidence IMO.  When he failed to properly connect to El Mohammady's deflected cross, he gave a wry smile and a look that seemed to say "when will it break my way?!".

The promising thing is that both he and Agbonlahor could've (maybe should have) scored a couple each against Hull.  The movement seems to be there.

• Like 3

Hogan had a very good first half, he made runs to draw out defenders and was creating chances. He had 2 or 3 good chances that against most keepers in this league he would have buried the one that particularly stands out is when he went past a couple of players and found himself one on one with mccregor who pulled of a great save to deny him. If he can play like he did Saturday (first half) all season we could have a very good player imo. Second half he didn't get any service and ended up being a passenger like a number of others but he should have been the one to stay on the field over gabby I think he would have linked up better with green and onamah 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

1 in 10 now is it  ? for this intelligent player, who makes great runs, has great movement, and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time !

You're pretty all over it, so I'm sure it will be 1 in 10, yes.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

1 in 10 now is it  ? for this intelligent player, who makes great runs, has great movement, and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time !

He doesn't need to score to make great runs. It's a team game you know pal. He makes runs which others have benefited from. His time will come.

10 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

He doesn't need to score to make great runs. It's a team game you know pal. He makes runs which others have benefited from. His time will come.

Yes I was recalling how Kjodia struggled for goals before Hogan came and got all those assists....

900 minutes in a Villa shirt. Contributed 3 goals (1 goal, 2 assists), "Kjodia"'s first 900 minutes saw 4 goals. 

Just because Hogan isn't sticking them in himself, doesn't mean he's not contributing. He certainly played a big part in the goal at the weekend and those near post runs he was making caused chaos.

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

900 minutes in a Villa shirt. Contributed 3 goals (1 goal, 2 assists), "Kjodia"'s first 900 minutes saw 4 goals. 

Just because Hogan isn't sticking them in himself, doesn't mean he's not contributing. He certainly played a big part in the goal at the weekend and those near post runs he was making caused chaos.

OH right - so JK might not get his place back then. 

I in 10 because he has had to play in a team that is too busy defending to get up and supply him properly. He needs incisive forward  passes through the centre and on the ground but Villa don't play this way. He isn't Kodjia, he wont do it on his own. Hogan is a team player, Kodjia is a loner. We simply don't supply the equipment for him to do his job. If Hogan was a cyclist in the Tour de France with 'Team Villa', he would be given a bike that was several years old and with two nearly flat tyres. He would then be expected to ride at the front of the race on his own while the rest of 'Team Villa' rode along right at the back of the peloton! 

• Like 1

Hogan was honestly unlucky not to get a goal or an assist. His great run where he got past 2 defenders and then almost slotted it by the keeper. Then the elmo cross which he almost deflected it. Hogan also had the great layoff to Gabby in the box.

And honestly if Gabby squared the pass from his breakaway to Hogan, it's a tap in goal. Gabby should've passed it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Yes I was recalling how Kjodia struggled for goals before Hogan came and got all those assists....

And I was recalling that the main criticism of KODJIA is that he is too greedy. Perhaps we could've had more goals last season if he would've passed in the final third.

Look, you've clearly made your mind up with Hogan, he's obviously done something to properly offend you. You've given him 10 games and written him off as a complete flop. You've taken everyone opportunity to have a go, you've used everything you possibly can against him after 10 games. That's up to you, so I'm done because you've made your decision. So I just await Hogan to prove you wrong (and also wait for some kind of sarcy remark about how I'll be waiting along time or some other ridiculous abuse towards a player that has played 10 games for our football club.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2017 at 14:57, KHV said:

Straight on the bench when Kodjia is fit. A huge waste of money IMO

In the present set up, I would agree.

He needs a player to play off......Shaw without withe, Little without Gray, Phillips without Quinn?

Edited by TRO

When Kodjia and Hogan were on the pitch together at the back end of last season, Kodjia ignored Hogan 95% of the time, even when Hogan was in a far better position than Kodjia.

Kodjia scored enough goals to escape criticism for his selfish play, but you have to wonder how much better it would be for Villa this season if Kodjia and Hogan play as an unselfish partnership.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I in 10 because he has had to play in a team that is too busy defending to get up and supply him properly. He needs incisive forward  passes through the centre and on the ground but Villa don't play this way. He isn't Kodjia, he wont do it on his own. Hogan is a team player, Kodjia is a loner. We simply don't supply the equipment for him to do his job. If Hogan was a cyclist in the Tour de France with 'Team Villa', he would be given a bike that was several years old and with two nearly flat tyres. He would then be expected to ride at the front of the race on his own while the rest of 'Team Villa' rode along right at the back of the peloton! 

100% agree.

And I would add, that IMO, 

Fowler would've failed under our system, Owen would've failed, Rush would've failed etc etc.

Our side is geared to defend. It doesn't mean we always defend, but we are geared to it. It simply will never suit Hogan.

8 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

100% agree.

And I would add, that IMO, 

Fowler would've failed under our system, Owen would've failed, Rush would've failed etc etc.

Our side is geared to defend. It doesn't mean we always defend, but we are geared to it. It simply will never suit Hogan.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

In the present set up, I would agree.

He needs a player to play off......Shaw without withe, Little without Gray, Phillips without Quinn?

So why did Bruce buy him ? Puzzles me. I recall at the time Bruce saying " we hadn't planned getting so many In but it was a case of they became available".......maybe not his choice ? 

Or maybe he panicked as we were losing Kodak for the AN Cup ?

A puzzle, as I say.

11 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Anybody who thinks Gabby is a better player than Hogan... well. Reactionary at best. Lots of negative and insulting adjectives at worst.

Look at what we've been reduced to, debating which average-to-poor player is the best.  A washed up speed merchant who has barely broken sweat in the last 4 years, and a lower league half season wonder who looks massively out of his depth.

• Haha 1

Â