Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

I thought Whelan and Elmo were the supply men ? 

Whelan? He's playing a holding midfield role. I'd have thought the two wide men and the attacking midfielder should provide most of the supply alongside Lansbury from midfield.

I don't think Green or Grealish are consistent enough at this stage and would like a bit of competition for both of those places. With regards to Elmo, then yes he should supply some goals and his link up with Hogan in Germany was a positive sign for me.

With Elmo and Adomah I think our right hand side is pretty well covered. I think Hogan would improve if we had a similar level of players on the left and in behind.

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

Whelan? He's playing a holding midfield role. I'd have thought the two wide men and the attacking midfielder should provide most of the supply alongside Lansbury from midfield.

I don't think Green or Grealish are consistent enough at this stage and would like a bit of competition for both of those places. With regards to Elmo, then yes he should supply some goals and his link up with Hogan in Germany was a positive sign for me.

With Elmo and Adomah I think our right hand side is pretty well covered. I think Hogan would improve if we had a similar level of players on the left and in behind.

OK - I see whelan as a guy who can pick a pass as well as play the Jedinak role. Overall though our midfield and width has been improved - but our forward line hasn't. I think that will bite us in the bum before too long.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Thats 4yrs of not even being fit enough to play for the football club. 4yrs of not giving a hoot. I think its a tad harsh to suggest fans are using Gabby as a scapegoat. He has given us plenty of ammunition.

The last 4 years would suggest otherwise 

BINGO 

Genuine question, what exactly is Gabby showing? 

He has the touch of a rapist, he's blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes, running around like an idiot trying to show "he cares" committing foul after foul because he hasn't got a brain in his head.

And then there's the big one, what strikers are judged on, goals..... Lets just move on. 

Compare that to Hogan. Who is a goalscorer, who has looked sharp in pre season, with 2 well taken goals. 

It isn't close at all, and if Bruce goes with Gabby its further prove that he doesn't have a clue. 

You are missing my point regarding Gabby. I am aware he has been a bag of shit for four years, thats not worth going over again, but im big enough to look past that and see a player in good physical condition who is putting in a bloody shedload of work. you asked what I think he is showing: much improved touch as his match sharpness is coming back, he was holding the ball brilliantly when it was played into him and bringing others into the game which is critical for how SB wants us to play, he was harrying defenders against watford and created a couple of chances by actually nicking the ball off them, he has two well taken goals in preseason also and he showed no signs of tiring or letting up in his last 2 appearances (so basically everything in contrast to your conjecture filled response). He was also a good save in a self created 1 vs 1 or a marginal offside goal that was disallowed away from being our top goalscorer in preseason.

from the birmingham mail to back up my point: 

A man who has been criticised so heavily in the past is giving his all in claret and blue once again. Agbonlahor should have given Villa the lead early on but couldn’t beat Gomes before seeing another effort chalked off for offside.It’s early days, but this looks a much fitter and willing Agbonlahor than the one supporters have seen at Villa Park in recent years.

I think he is less of a natural finisher than Hogan, less talented, less instinctive, he has behaved poorly and played even worse for a number of years. He is not the future of the club like Hogan, I like him less than Hogan and agree that he is playing for his future at the 11th hour BUT I still think based on what ive seen in the last couple of games he should probably get the nod while our team gets up a head of steam. 

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

So you don't want another - but wouldn't mind if one comes. - ever thought of a career in politics ? 

I wouldn't kick up a fuss if it happened and I would back him, but I don't think it's necessary and would question the money being spent when we could use a creative player more considering we already have the players we need to score goals IMO. Not *really* complicated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wouldn't kick up a fuss if it happened and I would back him, but I don't think it's necessary and would question the money being spent when we could use a creative player more considering we already have the players we need to score goals IMO. Not *really* complicated. 

Not complicated at all.

It reminds me of when Big Ron wanted to sign Dean Saunders and DD said 'we already have 4 centre forwards' - to which Big Ron replied  'well why don't we score enough goals ?' - Saunders signed and went on to score a hatful.

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If you look back at Hogan's career, he's now at the age of 25 and we're talking about a 32 game period where he has produced at a decent level. I don't think he's anywhere near the proven goal scorer others have faith in him to be. I think there's something about him which is good but he could easily be a very expensive flop with the flaws he has in his game. 

Fair enough. Most of my opinion has been formed by watching him play, both for us and previous to that. Stats can be misleading, though some might have said the same about Benteke when he left us? 

I'm not sure it matters anyway if we don't create chances, which is the main point. If the alternative is to sign ANOTHER proven goalscorer then we're £15m in the hole, again.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Not complicated at all.

It reminds me of when Big Ron wanted to sign Dean Saunders and DD said 'we already have 4 centre forwards' - to which Big Ron replied  'well why don't we score enough goals ?' - Saunders signed and went on to score a hatful.

OK fine. If the manager starts saying that and the club don't back him we deal with that then. 

13 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

You are missing my point regarding Gabby. I am aware he has been a bag of shit for four years, thats not worth going over again, but im big enough to look past that and see a player in good physical condition who is putting in a bloody shedload of work. you asked what I think he is showing: much improved touch as his match sharpness is coming back, he was holding the ball brilliantly when it was played into him and bringing others into the game which is critical for how SB wants us to play, he was harrying defenders against watford and created a couple of chances by actually nicking the ball off them, he has two well taken goals in preseason also and he showed no signs of tiring or letting up in his last 2 appearances (so basically everything in contrast to your conjecture filled response). He was also a good save in a self created 1 vs 1 or a marginal offside goal that was disallowed away from being our top goalscorer in preseason.

from the birmingham mail to back up my point: 

A man who has been criticised so heavily in the past is giving his all in claret and blue once again. Agbonlahor should have given Villa the lead early on but couldn’t beat Gomes before seeing another effort chalked off for offside.It’s early days, but this looks a much fitter and willing Agbonlahor than the one supporters have seen at Villa Park in recent years.

I think he is less of a natural finisher than Hogan, less talented, less instinctive, he has behaved poorly and played even worse for a number of years. He is not the future of the club like Hogan, I like him less than Hogan and agree that he is playing for his future at the 11th hour BUT I still think based on what ive seen in the last couple of games he should probably get the nod while our team gets up a head of steam. 

Lets not go overboard about Gabby - his best years are clearly behind him. But the fact he is pushing Hogan for a starting spot highlights how lightweight we are up front. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Lets not go overboard about Gabby - his best years are clearly behind him. But the fact he is pushing Hogan for a starting spot highlights how lightweight we are up front. 

Or how hard he has worked to get back into the team...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

He.really has made a rod for his own back with that preseason video saying he's aiming tor 20 goals this season let's hope the manager can get the best out of him

His aim isn't that  good from what i have seen. 

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Now Grealish is injured could we not play them both so you lot can stop bickering ;)

Front six of:

Elmo    Whelan  Hourihane   Green

Hogan     Gabby

I actually was thinking the same thing. It's a shame Kodjia was hurt all preseason because last season when Hogan joined, Kodjia and Hogan did not gel well. I am hoping this season will be different. Having two strikers who can score 20+ goals each would pretty much guarantee promotion for us. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Now Grealish is injured could we not play them both so you lot can stop bickering ;)

Front six of:

Elmo    Whelan  Hourihane   Green

Hogan     Gabby

I like this but I'd have Lansbury in rather than Hourihane. Just think he's a bit more suited to play in a 2 than hourihane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No he hasn't. If he scores 15 I doubt anyone is going to pull him up on it. 

Ambition is good. 

Agreed i want him to hit that number, we need to rely on more than Kodija to get out this division.

16 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Agreed i want him to hit that number, we need to rely on more than Kodija to get out this division.

Completely agree with this, I would be disappointed if a multimillion striker set his sights any lower than than

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see some fans are saying Bruce doesn't have a clue if he starts Gabby over Hogan. But then there are other fans saying that Gabby deserves to start based on preseason (including me).  So my question is, does anyone have a clue? 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Â