Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

we've just bought two players with proven records in the championship that are struggling atm. there are many theories as to why (Bruce's managerial ability and our big club status being some of the most prominent ones). however, what is clear is that these players aren't complete turd farmers so I don't think we should be writing them off completely just yet. players have periods of being off. it's not unique to see players that have been branded poorer than beggar on a hiatus but bounced back. Hogan has played 10 competitive games for us and battled injuries during his short stint for us. keep some calm (and a towel) and have a little faith, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

or it all turns to shits...yknow

He seems like a player that relies on open space and minimal opposition contact.....Brentford was  well committed to attack, so he benefited from bodies in attendance.

I don't think we are going to be that all out attack that he has been used to......He finishes well and has a bit of pace, but I am unsure this is going to work out....hope I am wrong.

When he gets closed down he looks very,very ordinary......He doesn't look to me like he thrives on close contact or copes with it well.

If the team clicks and we get more time in attack, things could change.

• Like 2

On 02/08/2017 at 22:50, TRO said:

He seems like a player that relies on open space and minimal opposition contact.....Brentford was  well committed to attack, so he benefited from bodies in attendance.

I don't think we are going to be that all out attack that he has been used to......He finishes well and has a bit of pace, but I am unsure this is going to work out....hope I am wrong.

When he gets closed down he looks very,very ordinary......He doesn't look to me like he thrives on close contact or copes with it well.

And the alternative is great under pressure and when closed down - that wonderful first touch really comes into it's own - sorry TRO not a personal dig - more frustration cause I can see what's going to happen here :-((

On 8/3/2017 at 00:50, TRO said:

Good analysisi TRO. I've not been able to identify what it is that makes him inefficient. Then all of a sudden he gets room against the germans and bangs them in. You could be onto something here.

Hope he gets the nod this evening, don't think he will though. If not I would imagine he'll get a start on Wednesday. If we put a decent side out, could be an opportunity to get off the mark.

Edited by wazzap24

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

He should start - he won't - we all know who will :-((

I think Gabby will start and Hogan will come on when Gabby has taken the sting out of them.

Someone said he'd struggle to score under the current manager but he had some half chances to get on the score sheet today! 

He comes across as being very frustrated at the moment because of this. You could clearly see that today, there were enough close ups showing this. Possibly struggling with the weight of the shirt and as it's sometimes said trying too hard. I do expect him to get goals for us so keep working hard Scotty, something will go in if the chances keep coming!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

Someone said he'd struggle to score under the current manager but he had some half chances to get on the score sheet today! 

He comes across as being very frustrated at the moment because of this. You could clearly see that today, there were enough close ups showing this. Possibly struggling with the weight of the shirt and as it's sometimes said trying too hard. I do expect him to get goals for us so keep working hard Scotty, something will go in if the chances keep coming!

The goals will come and his confidence will improve with goals.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The goals will come and his confidence will improve with goals.

Pretty much what I eluded to, yes I am thinking the same mate!

Edited by Killeen30

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't see it. Couple of nice touches but just nothing from him. 

I though the run he had where he dribbled past a couple was very promising - shame he couldn't just poke it past the keeper as it would have been a lovely goal . 

Isolated second half and showed how he is not being utilised correctly

first half he was involved and looked an asset 

I fear we will see more of second half Scott under Bruce though 

• Like 2

Not sure myself. He looked weak and unable to win any challenges and couldn't engineer any space for himself, both things a decent striker needs to do otherwise how can other players provide him with any decent service? One or two decent runs that didn't lead to anything aren't enough to convince me.

32 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Isolated second half and showed how he is not being utilised correctly

first half he was involved and looked an asset 

I fear we will see more of second half Scott under Bruce though 

Second half the team weren't at the races though and Hull came into it big time. It wasn't just that they just didn't utilise Hogan. Only when the subs were made didn't the team come back into it.

Edited by Killeen30

His hold up play, his closing down of defenders and at time his touch are all awful. I can see why he was subbed and I fear he's another expensive mistake.

Having said that, if I'd known samba was going to be a forward option I'd have preferred to keep him on. 

Â