Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

46 minutes ago, supermon said:

feels sorry for him, he does try at least

Got to admit, I do too. For so long his demeanour has been so low or almost despondent. Always seems to have his head down and look especially sad or even depressed...

image.jpeg.987ef535f22d08650076ce4df7aedf27.jpeg

Remember him being hopeless against Fulham in the playoff final and he just can’t ever seem to get going whenever he does get a game...

It was a poor signing but he doesn’t seem to have a bad character or seem disruptive etc. He does seem to make an effort but lacks the quality and awareness. I would like to see him go somewhere and have some sort of success. Celtic would be a great move for him imo and he should get some goals over there...

I recall Wyness’ excitement and surprise that he was available (was interviewed about it on TV) as West Ham were heavily linked with him at the time (when Bilic was manager) and the signing was viewed as somewhat of a coup, apparently we jumped ahead of them to sign him. Unfortunately, it was another disaster. If only he had gone to West Ham instead, for our sakes...

I asked the question before, who was the worst signing between Hogan and McCormack (mainly because I believe both were signed for a similar fee, 12m?), mainly in terms of performance/contribution. There’s no doubt McCormack was much worse in terms of personality and disruptive behaviour but he actually looked decent in his first few games. Hogan got us a few goals and never kicked up a fuss or caused any trouble so he probably hasn’t been as bad but, ultimately, both were terrible signings and have cost us dearly.... we have wasted so much money over the years... I thought the later days of MON were bad enough with handing out expensive and lengthy contracts to useless bench warmers like Beye & Sidwell (and poor signings like Heskey) but we continued to outdo ourselves....Nzogbia was another bad one for what he cost us... I really hope we have learned from our mistakes.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Got to admit, I do too. For so long his demeanour has been so low or almost despondent. Always seems to have his head down and look especially sad or even depressed...

image.jpeg.987ef535f22d08650076ce4df7aedf27.jpeg

Remember him being hopeless against Fulham in the playoff final and he just can’t ever seem to get going whenever he does get a game...

It was a poor signing but he doesn’t seem to have a bad character or seem disruptive etc. He does seem to make an effort but lacks the quality and awareness. I would like to see him go somewhere and have some sort of success. Celtic would be a great move for him imo and he should get some goals over there...

I recall Wyness’ excitement and surprise that he was available (was interviewed about it on TV) as West Ham were heavily linked with him at the time (when Bilic was manager) and the signing was viewed as somewhat of a coup, apparently we jumped ahead of them to sign him. Unfortunately, it was another disaster. If only he had gone to West Ham instead, for our sakes...

I asked the question before, who was the worst signing between Hogan and McCormack (mainly because I believe both were signed for a similar fee, 12m?), mainly in terms of performance/contribution. There’s no doubt McCormack was much worse in terms of personality and disruptive behaviour but he actually looked decent in his first few games. Hogan got us a few goals and never kicked up a fuss or caused any trouble so he probably hasn’t been as bad but, ultimately, both were terrible signings and have cost us dearly.... we have wasted so much money over the years... I thought the later days of MON were bad enough with handing out expensive and lengthy contracts to useless bench warmers like Beye & Sidwell (and poor signings like Heskey) but we continued to outdo ourselves....Nzogbia was another bad one for what he cost us... I really hope we have learned from our mistakes.

Judging by our spending in the summer then obviously not. At least the players agents were happy to trouser another fortune though. 😱

Atb.

VLD.

22 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is why you don't sign 20-something-year-olds who have had one good season at Championship level. Abysmal signing, one of the very worst in the club's history.

Maybe you should pick up the hindsight phone and give Villa a call circa 2017.......

• Haha 1

On 31/01/2017 at 23:35, rodders0223 said:

Welcome to the gravy train. You have made it son.

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe you should pick up the hindsight phone and give Villa a call circa 2017.......

It was ridiculous business even at the time, sloshing around money like it was going out of fashion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Abysmal signing, one of the very worst in the club's history.

It's absolutely in the conversation.

It won't be highlighted by some because the fee wasn't high enough. But 10 odd million in the championship is like spending 40 million in the prem these days.

Given what we've got in return, he's absolutely one of the worst signings we've ever made.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's absolutely in the conversation.

It won't be highlighted by some because the fee wasn't high enough. But 10 odd million in the championship is like spending 40 million in the prem these days.

Given what we've got in return, he's absolutely one of the worst signings we've ever made.

He is, but I never hated him as a player. The effort was there, he just had next to no ability. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He is, but I never hated him as a player. The effort was there, he just had next to no ability. 

I don't hate him as a person. He always seemed to have a good attitude and work ethic, and others have said I actually feel sorry for him.

He is just not good enough to be at a club at the top end of the Championship, let alone a Premier League club.

He was a vanity buy. We bought him just because we could. We seemed to be in the business of just mopping up whatever Championship player was in good form for 6 months. Some worked (eg: Hourihane), and some like Hogan failed miserably as his form was likely a flash in the pan.

Â