Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
28 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

we should play 532 today, Hogan and Davis up front Grealish in behind.

4-2-3-1

5 at the back will encourage them on to us and they will swamp us, too deep .....need to take them out further up the pitch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
20 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

they have too much pace for that

If I am being totally honest with myself....I don't think it matters what formation we choose and what personnel we select,

With the players we have available.....but its boxing Day, they might surprise me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first couple of games we had him, he was making intelligent runs into space. When he received the ball, he was getting down and running at players (and beating them), didn't he go on a mazy run and nearly score. Unfortunately, since his first injury here, we haven't seen those traits since. He doesn't even irritate defenders like Shane long does, which as someone out of form is the least you should expect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
2 hours ago, Danishlad said:

we should play 532 today, Hogan and Davis up front Grealish in behind.

When was the last time we played 5-3-2 and looked any good?

Genuine question. We've tried it several times over the past few years with various managers and it's always gone terribly, IIRC. 

Happy to be corrected.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When was the last time we played 5-3-2 and looked any good?

Genuine question. We've tried it several times over the past few years with various managers and it's always gone terribly, IIRC. 

Happy to be corrected.

Twenty years today - Boxing Day 1997 when we beat Spurs 4-1.

Played with Bosnich, Nelson, Staunton, Scimeca, Ehiogu, Grayson, Wright, Draper, Taylor, Collymore, Milosevic.  So strictly speaking we had 6 defenders on the field that day.

PS - I'm not a Statto.  I just looked for our last good result under Brian Little. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Twenty years today - Boxing Day 1997 when we beat Spurs 4-1.

Played with Bosnich, Nelson, Staunton, Scimeca, Ehiogu, Grayson, Wright, Draper, Taylor, Collymore, Milosevic.  So strictly speaking we had 6 defenders on the field that day.

PS - I'm not a Statto.  I just looked for our last good result under Brian Little. 

PPS - Colin Calderwood was playing in defence for Spurs that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The first couple of games we had him, he was making intelligent runs into space. When he received the ball, he was getting down and running at players (and beating them), didn't he go on a mazy run and nearly score. Unfortunately, since his first injury here, we haven't seen those traits since. He doesn't even irritate defenders like Shane long does, which as someone out of form is the least you should expect. 

Yeah i think it was his first game. He played at the city ground against forest and he was brilliant. Went on that great run as you alluded to and nearly scored and was very sharp to get a shot away from a Kodjia flick on. Unfortunately hasn't kicked on. For me you can't say Davis must start tonight, I mean if he was scoring fair enough but.......Bruce gonna shock us all and throw in harry mckirdy  (said nobody ever )

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Hogan needs Davies to start, Hogan is not effective when he's played on his own. My bet is Hogan will start on his own with maybe a midfielder behind him. 

That's true. I know he played on his own upfront at brentford but they play much different  (polite way of saying they play football ) they are very narrow whilst we're. ..... I'll get back to you on that one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â