Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Time to give hogan a extended run. Davis has had more than enough starts compared to hogan and delivered two goals. Hogan vs his old side let's throw him in the lions den see how he gets on. Him and gabby up top something different. 

Doubt gabby will play as well but I’d give hogan a start and hopefully with Grealish Adomah and snodgrass we might create chances for him - Davis needs taking  out after his performance yesterday .

id like to see o hare and mckirdy on the bench but doubt it .

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Time to give hogan a extended run. Davis has had more than enough starts compared to hogan and delivered two goals. Hogan vs his old side let's throw him in the lions den see how he gets on. Him and gabby up top something different. 

The introduction of him and Gabby yesterday effectively ended any forward threat we had. Maybe try him and Davis though.

i'll agree with most that he hasn't been used in a formation that suits him. For me, it has to be a standard 442, a diamond in the middle four.

He needs to play off the shoulder of a big guy (Davis), or on the last defender. He needs balls slipped through behind the central defenders, or low balls in and around the penalty spot. This isn't happening, but I feel at the moment he needs to start come Tuesday.

I see him playing slightly ahead of Grealish come Tuesday and struggling, but I hope to be presently surprised. :)

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

The introduction of him and Gabby yesterday effectively ended any forward threat we had. Maybe try him and Davis though.

You mean the attacking threat that Davis was not one single shot on target?

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You mean the attacking threat that Davis was not one single shot on target?

You attack and defend as a team. Davis at least provides a focal point which is something positive that we lost once he departed. He also won a penalty.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Does he start today against his old club?

Davis again looks like he needs a rest. 

While i don't rate Hogan i wouldn't mind seeing him for an hour with grealish behind. 

Surely an hour with Grealish behind would hurt?

Back to the game, I don't think Hogan playing against his old club would make much of a difference but that's just my opinion.

On 24/12/2017 at 16:36, DCJonah said:

From the tv perspective it all came from a moment where Whelan, after pointing to whoever had the ball to pass back  found himself in space and immediately passed it 30 yards back as soon as the ball came to him. So concerned with getting the ball backwards he had no awareness of what was round him and no intention to even think about moving the ball forward. It was incredibly frustrating to see and i understood the anger. Unfortunately, that changed the mood and then the groans and moans came out for actually keeping the ball well at times. 

Yep. In the final 3rd and hit it all the way back. We were on the attack at the time and he couldnt be bothered retaining it for 2 seconds and shifting it sideways where there were options or carrying it forwards where he had acres of space.

Taylor then started doing the same 

It was bad enough one player doing it  but 2 automatically doing it no matter what the options were is never going to be a crowd pleaser.

On 24/12/2017 at 17:20, M_Afro said:

The move from Grealish from 10 to left mid killed us.

Hogan was pants though.

There's a few reasons it hasn't worked out that have been done to death.

But if you just take the last two games. When he has come on. You've got to wonder how any striker in the world is supposed score goals in this team.

Nothing was created. Nothing into the box. No through balls. Just long meaningless balls into the corner flag.

What the hell is he supposed to do?? 

• Like 3

On 24/12/2017 at 11:47, Stevo985 said:

But the guy is shit. It’s not like he’s shown flashes of talent and we’re rigidly sticking to a system that doesn’t suit him. 

I've got to disagree with this bit mate. 

I can count on 1 hand the amount of times he has either played in a 2, or had a half decent number 10 behind him. 

It seems like every time he comes on its to replace davis. On saturday when he came on Grealish was moved out to the left a d him and Gabby didn't look like they had a clue how to work together. 

Hogan has been crap, but i really don't think he has had a fair crack of the whip. 

Hogan has been poor but he really has had nothing created for him. It's true . Look at the two goals brentford scored at norwich. Ball in front of the striker. Goal. He was scoring those types for them most weeks. We create nothing from midfield.  Hourihane is painfully one footed,  slow and just not very good. Whelan  ( how long have you got ) Snodgrass looks bolloxed after 30 minutes. Grealish is playing well but nobody around him is. And if we are gonna have a pop at hogan for not scoring well neither is davis.

57 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've got to disagree with this bit mate. 

I can count on 1 hand the amount of times he has either played in a 2, or had a half decent number 10 behind him. 

It seems like every time he comes on its to replace davis. On saturday when he came on Grealish was moved out to the left a d him and Gabby didn't look like they had a clue how to work together. 

Hogan has been crap, but i really don't think he has had a fair crack of the whip. 

The “and” was key in my sentence. 

I agree with you that our system doesn’t suit him. My point was he’s not showing flashes of what could be if we changed system. 

With a good player you’d expect every now and then they’d show what they can do and make you think “ah that’s what we’d get if we played to his strengths.”

that doesn’t happen with Hogan. He always looks shit. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He reminds me of Fernando Torres the Chelsea years

Yeah, so it does happen at a higher level.

just seems we always cop it.

ps Remember the Saunders years, where almost every player we bought in ......WORKED.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

There's a few reasons it hasn't worked out that have been done to death.

But if you just take the last two games. When he has come on. You've got to wonder how any striker in the world is supposed score goals in this team.

Nothing was created. Nothing into the box. No through balls. Just long meaningless balls into the corner flag.

What the hell is he supposed to do?? 

The problem is he does nothing to contribute to helping an attack build and a chance created. 

He is so utterly inept at holding or keeping the ball, it becomes difficult to get the ball in a good position to then try and create something. 

Now playing him with davis or grealish could help change that.

Â