Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, weedman said:

It's clear he wasn't signed as a "target man" to win headers and hold the ball up - he was signed as a better version of Gabby. Someone to harry defenders and chase down loose balls, run the flanks and give us an outlet, while scoring a few goals as well, basically, what Gabby used to do before he effectively retired a few years ago. He has the attributes to do it, he is quick, relatively strong, eye for a goal (before we signed him), good movement. 

The problem with him isn't solely Bruce's tactics, it's that he hasn't done any of those things. He struggles to even bring the ball under control from a 5 yard pass for heavens sake. 

He needs to sort himself out or he will end a monumental failure here and any aspirations he may have had for PL football in his career will be over. Fact is, if someone knew nothing of our team prior to him signing and you pointed out him and Gabby and said one of them is a £12m striker, the other is a useless sack of crap everyone can't wait to leave, they'd currently have them confused. 

If you're a professional striker and a worse option for your team than Gabby Agbonlahor in 2017 you need to take a long hard look at yourself and put in a few extra hours on the training pitch. 

Whatever the reasons are, he is simply not good enough at the moment and the only person who can change that is him, blaming the tactics, blaming luck, blaming Bruce, blaming bloody Santa is pointless, he needs to do it himself 

Yep much as I have been saying for while. If he scored the odd goal there might be a strong case for slotting him back in the team. Personally my heart sinks whenever I see him clamber of the bench  'no more goals today then' 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Can't see the clamour to recall a guy who has scored one goal since he joined us. There no certainties in football but Hogan not scoring comes pretty close.  - 

Someone doesn't understand statistics and probability.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, omariqy said:

Someone doesn't understand statistics and probability.  

What ? by the law of averages one must bounce in off his backside sooner or later  ?  - because not only is he not scoring his all round play is abysmal !  

(yes the law of averages must kick in one day - but that might not be any time soon) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hippo said:

What ? by the law of averages one must bounce in off his backside sooner or later  ?  - because not only is he not scoring his all round play is abysmal !  

(yes the law of averages must kick in one day - but that might not be any time soon) 

Well there is that but also he has a record of almost 1 in 2 over his career and has scored 4 goals in 31 appearances here. Going on that record it is probable he will score again this season. So far from a certainty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Hogan is going to play with the U-23s tonight. Hopefully this gets his fitness up. 

Sheffield play a back 3, and are not on good form at the moment. I want Hogan, Adomah, and Grealish causing havoc saturday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
46 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

So Hogan is going to play with the U-23s tonight. Hopefully this gets his fitness up. 

Sheffield play a back 3, and are not on good form at the moment. I want Hogan, Adomah, and Grealish causing havoc saturday. 

Does that mean he won't start Saturday?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Does that mean he won't start Saturday?

Maybe. Davis was meant to start against Derby but was sick. Onomah I assume only started at striker because Hogan and Gabby weren't match fit. I expect Bruce is trying to get Hogan's fitness up.

If davis is fit for saturday, he is basically guaranteed to start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looks like he's getting 90 minutes for the reserves against Albion tonight - no goals from him in the first 80 of those.

 

Must be the coaching.......ok I'll stop it.:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Well there is that but also he has a record of almost 1 in 2 over his career and has scored 4 goals in 31 appearances here. Going on that record it is probable he will score again this season. So far from a certainty. 

Yeah he will probably get a goal vs P'Boro then...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/12/2017 at 21:53, omariqy said:

How did he play?

Wasn't there.

But presumably he made loads of intelligent runs that the midfielders didn't see - which is highly condemnable as the system we play just didn't suit him....It was really defensive set up - nobody can score playing a system like that ............oh yeah, and the ball wasn't round enough.

If we are relying on Hogan for goals we really are in desperate times !  

Edited by hippo
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hogan was looking so good in pre season as well, i think he is struggling playing for  a big club. cant handle the big expectations here 

Yes thats what it seems like to me.

I watched him V wigan in the league cup and he looked great -scored 2 cracking goals.

Watched him a couple of weeks later ..he couldn't do a thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes thats what it seems like to me.

I watched him V wigan in the league cup and he looked great -scored 2 cracking goals.

Watched him a couple of weeks later ..he couldn't do a thing.

£12m wasted...

But we're told we should stick by Bruce!  :mellow:

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's struggling playing for a clueless manager who doesn't know how to get the best out of him. Negative kick and rush football is not something Hogan can adapt to. He needs consistent service, especially from central midfield, however we haven't really got the players to play good, consistent through balls from deep. Grealish might just about be the only player we have to do this and he has of course been out injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's struggling playing for a clueless manager who doesn't know how to get the best out of him. Negative kick and rush football is not something Hogan can adapt to. He needs consistent service, especially from central midfield, however we haven't really got the players to play good, consistent through balls from deep. Grealish might just about be the only player we have to do this and he has of course been out injured.

Then he is pretty much a Darren Bent. (That doesn't score).

Disaster of a signing. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yes thats what it seems like to me.

I watched him V wigan in the league cup and he looked great -scored 2 cracking goals.

Watched him a couple of weeks later ..he couldn't do a thing.

Didnt Bruce drop him again to the bench straight after that game?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/12/2017 at 10:02, Stevo985 said:

I agree with you.

But such a balanced view is a rarity here these days.

what‘s the point of a balanced view?

Why not just get straight to the point of who the F***s fault it all is?

He who is the boss is in charge of things. Get things under control, make the right decisions, lead as an example and from the front. Then we might get somewhere. If the boss F*** things up he has to fall on his sword.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â