Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I thought he did more than enough to warrant another start - I can assure you that if you know who had turned in that performance then you would have posters on here clamouring over the work rate and how he ran the channels, and his appetite for creating space.

well done Scott - about time you got a little bit of credit .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I thought he did more than enough to warrant another start - I can assure you that if you know who had turned in that performance then you would have posters on here clamouring over the work rate and how he ran the channels, and his appetite for creating space.

well done Scott - about time you got a little bit of credit .

Haha

Well done scott, running around for a half was well worth the money paid. 

Barely touched the ball and is terrible at keeping it yet it is about time he gets credit. I find that laughable. 

He should start the next game mainly because we have no real options at the moment. 

17 hours ago, omariqy said:

Hourihane is a goal scoring midfielder whose assists come mainly from set pieces. He's not really a Guti type player. 

Yep, people don't understand the sort of player Hourihane is. He does not have a good forward pass in him, the majority of his assists came from set pieces and crosses, which is he good at. Grealish is the closest we have to a midfielder who can play through balls that Hogan will thrive from, but Grealish doesn't deliver this consistently enough.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Haha

Well done scott, running around for a half was well worth the money paid. 

Barely touched the ball and is terrible at keeping it yet it is about time he gets credit. I find that laughable. 

He should start the next game mainly because we have no real options at the moment. 

Well imo  a certain GA has done nothing more Of note  and yet seems to get applauded for doing so every time he sets foot on the pitch - something I find bewildering as I cannot recall another villa player afforded so much goodwill for so little in return 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well imo  a certain GA has done nothing more Of note  and yet seems to get applauded for doing so every time he sets foot on the pitch - something I find bewildering as I cannot recall another villa player afforded so much goodwill for so little in return 

I think what gabby has done previously means some fans still have a soft spot. I don't always agree with it but some fans being too kind to gabby is no reason for hogan to get underserved praise. 

19 hours ago, omariqy said:

Hourihane is a goal scoring midfielder whose assists come mainly from set pieces. He's not really a Guti type player. 

But like Hogan get him in the right areas hes a good player. Lansbury and Hourihane are as good as any in this league. Both are that deep when when they play they rarely see the goal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think what gabby has done previously means some fans still have a soft spot. I don't always agree with it but some fans being too kind to gabby is no reason for hogan to get underserved praise. 

Well in all honesty I do not disagree with some of this- however I feel on this occasion that Hogan is due some credit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep, people don't understand the sort of player Hourihane is. He does not have a good forward pass in him, the majority of his assists came from set pieces and crosses, which is he good at. Grealish is the closest we have to a midfielder who can play through balls that Hogan will thrive from, but Grealish doesn't deliver this consistently enough.

What about Snodgrass as a Nr 10? I think he could be good there. I don’t think he has enough pace for his current role but as nobody else is nailing the spot down, why not try him?

11 hours ago, M_Afro said:

What about Snodgrass as a Nr 10? I think he could be good there. I don’t think he has enough pace for his current role but as nobody else is nailing the spot down, why not try him?

I think Grealish has done enough to stay there for now and is the best chance of linking with hogan 

Still feel O’Hare should be given more of a chance. Grealish so far, with few exceptions has too little end product and flatters to deceive. Got to get those through balls going to get the best out of Hogan.

I’d also look at playing Lansbury there who has a goal in him as well if current rumours aren’t true?

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think Hourihanes set ball delivery has been pants for us. 

If that's ALL he has to his game he's been a far worse signing than Hogan! 

37 minutes ago, striker said:

Still feel O’Hare should be given more of a chance. Grealish so far, with few exceptions has too little end product and flatters to deceive. Got to get those through balls going to get the best out of Hogan.

I’d also look at playing Lansbury there who has a goal in him as well if current rumours aren’t true?

Grealish was the only one putting dangerous balls into the box and linking play in the final 3rd. 

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Grealish was the only one putting dangerous balls into the box and linking play in the final 3rd. 

I haven't seen much of that from him though. Certainly not enough to have a cutting edge in games.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but he really does need to do a lot more to convince me he's worth the hype.

In the little cameos that O'Hare has played I found him to be much more direct and effective than Grealish. Absolutely amazed that he or indeed Hayes don't get more game time but then again that's down to Bruce.

If Bruce is going to persist with Hogan then he needs to get better service to him as currently he's feeding on scraps.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, striker said:

If Bruce is going to persist with Hogan then he needs to get better service to him as currently he's feeding on scraps.

Well that's not going to happen. Bruce has one way to play and doesn't 'do tactics'. That's why hogan won't be in any good in a Steve Bruce team. What's really baffling is why he bought him in the first place. Panic buy. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Well that's not going to happen. Bruce has one way to play and doesn't 'do tactics'. That's why hogan won't be in any good in a Steve Bruce team. What's really baffling is why he bought him in the first place. Panic buy. 

Pretty much agree with all that which is why it’s imperative to get a manager in who not only can get these players performing better in a system that suits them but to build on a more progressive way of playing for the future.

3 hours ago, striker said:

I'd play Grealish and O'Hare behind Hogan. 

On 26/12/2017 at 23:20, mykeyb said:

If we had a midfield that feed Grealish further up the pitch he could then slip balls through to Hogan to score from. 

It's who goes first him or Bruce

hopefully Hogan stays

1 hour ago, striker said:

Pretty much agree with all that which is why it’s imperative to get a manager in who not only can get these players performing better in a system that suits them but to build on a more progressive way of playing for the future.

What does that actually mean ? 

What would a progressive manager do from now until the end of the season ? not saying youre wrong but keep hearing about these progressive managers - but struggle to see any substance to that phrase.  

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Must admit, I must have missed most of those, I saw him get into good positions but more often than not fail to deliver. I like Grealish, but clear to me that Bruce isn't getting the best out of him at all.

Â